Sponsored by:

964 cup questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 05:22 PM
shtig
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 cup questions

My father and I have done a couple of trackdays with our cars (997S and 993 4S) but we are still beginners. However we are ready to take the step to a dedicated track car. Our goal is to have fun on track days and maybe to start racing in the future.

We have been told to get a 968 cs with diff-brake and m030, since they are supposed to be great cars for learning how to be quick. We feel that coming from 911s, the 968 lacks a bit of power (240hp vs 355hp) and soul and that we eventually are going to want more power.

We want to buy a car that is allready setup for track so the 911's we have looked at are 996 gt3 cs and 964 cup. From what I've read online, I've got the impression that the 964 cup is alot like a standard 964 in terms of maintenance, is this true? Would this car be way to much for us or would it be the best in the long run?

How does the gt3 compare to the cup in terms of maintenance and driving? What other cars do you recommend for us? We haven't found alot of modified carreras. The car will only be driven on track and transportation to/from track.

We live in europe so we are talking about ROW cars.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The 964 Cup shares most of the parts with the standard car and in general will cost the same as a race prepped C2 to maintain. The 964 Cup already has steel syncros and a motorsports differential with similar gearing (only 1 & 2 different) to the C2. The engine is a standard C2 unit with the later plastic manifold. There may be small differences such as not having power steering, no A/C bracket, single pully, etc, but fundamentally it is the same right down to the exhaust. The chassis is stiffer due to the seamwelding and lighter from no undercoating. Front brakes are upgraded to Turbo calipers and rotors. Suspension is Cup coilover. Other than that, there are only minor differences such as lightweight glass, aluminum hood, simplified and lightned wire harness.

All of the running gear parts that require maintenance are standard Porsche parts - brake pads & rotors, bearings, ball joints, engine parts, trans parts, etc. It is perhaps the most cost effective factory race car available. It will be a faster car around a track than a track prepped GT3.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:15 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shtig,
Just out of curiosity, why would you want to spend that kind of money ($80K+) on a fairly rare car and risk destroying it. You can get the same kind of performance from a fully preped C2 thats running in a stock class with MANY more people in the class to "play" with. Check out my 92 964 that I have listed on the RL Classifieds. Its half the price and as much fun!!!

Tim
Old 01-14-2009, 07:52 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
The 964 Cup shares most of the parts with the standard car and in general will cost the same as a race prepped C2 to maintain. The 964 Cup already has steel syncros and a motorsports differential with similar gearing (only 1 & 2 different) to the C2. The engine is a standard C2 unit with the later plastic manifold. There may be small differences such as not having power steering, no A/C bracket, single pully, etc, but fundamentally it is the same right down to the exhaust. The chassis is stiffer due to the seamwelding and lighter from no undercoating. Front brakes are upgraded to Turbo calipers and rotors. Suspension is Cup coilover. Other than that, there are only minor differences such as lightweight glass, aluminum hood, simplified and lightned wire harness.

All of the running gear parts that require maintenance are standard Porsche parts - brake pads & rotors, bearings, ball joints, engine parts, trans parts, etc. It is perhaps the most cost effective factory race car available. It will be a faster car around a track than a track prepped GT3.
Must be a short track to have a 964 cup stay with a GT3!!! At the first long straight, the 964 will have a tough time no?
Old 01-14-2009, 08:07 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by shtig
The car will only be driven on track and transportation to/from track.
If you want to drive the car to/from the track, I'd probably go the GT3 route. For a track only car, probably the 964 Cup.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Jean, You'd be surprised. What I'm comparing is a stock 964 Cup car legal in GTC-1 PCA class which basically does not let you do anything except remove the muffler and a GT3 that is prepped for stock class racing which can have significantly more changes made. Things like 3 way motons, full monoballs, but must run a DOT Tire. At a track like Watkins Glen, the 964 Cups are 2-3 seconds a lap faster than a GT3. I suppose with slicks they would be about the same.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:56 AM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts
Default cup car

If you are interested in a 964cup I have amint one for sale .
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2009, 09:45 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Jean, You'd be surprised. What I'm comparing is a stock 964 Cup car legal in GTC-1 PCA class which basically does not let you do anything except remove the muffler and a GT3 that is prepped for stock class racing which can have significantly more changes made. Things like 3 way motons, full monoballs, but must run a DOT Tire. At a track like Watkins Glen, the 964 Cups are 2-3 seconds a lap faster than a GT3. I suppose with slicks they would be about the same.
WOW! I would not have thought that! My 993 Cup vs a 996 GT3 Club Sport, both on slicks were not that far apart and I thought the 964 Cup was miles off that... Anyway, good to know!
Old 01-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

The only thing I don't like about the 964 Cup (and I'm being picky) is the front end geometry which has significant bump steer, and the level of effort required for the non power rack.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:33 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

964 Cup maintenance costs are relatively reasonable...Motors and transaxles will give long service intervals relative to 993 or 996/7 cups. Plus most parts are standard 964 C2 parts. The only issue I can see is that they are increasing in value and there are not a whole lot of them left. Ron's car would be a great car to scoop up if you are looking...I looked at it before I bought mine...Ron wisely decided not to sell it at that time. If i were looking I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Quick Reply: 964 cup questions