Sponsored by:

Michelin Slicks

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:55 AM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Michelin Slicks

OK so I bought a new set of Yellow Cups for the front rims. They came delivered to me with the marking S8D ? They have the side rib like the cups but they don't say "porsche cup" like I had figured. Are the S8Ds the new version of the yellow cups ? Tires are brand spanking new bought through a well known shop.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:37 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 39 Posts

8 front and 9 rear are the cup tires. Sometimes they don't have the CUP markings, sometimes they don't have the compound # markings when they DO have the Cup markings. Very inconsistent, even Horst Farnbacher got confused by the Michelins in this country.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:15 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

that's great. so much for quality control So then who knows when you are paying 400 plus for cups when they could be S8s for $275.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:09 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

We discussed this a few months back during our annual Michelin lack of inventory drought I believe the general consensus was that none of the Yellows will be marked "cup" now since the Blues are now officially the cup tire.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Andy, describe the RIB please.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:37 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Andy what are you using for rears?.....
Old 10-01-2007, 10:27 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

any news on where hoosier is with it's cup tire.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:28 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 92 Posts

If you guys could please tell Andy that any tire I am selling is worth double the retail price that would be great

Thanks Andy and hope you enjoy the tires.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:51 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

hahaha

the rib is on the outer edge like curb protector on a street tire. those SOBs at Micheln did this on purpose so that you can't flip the tires on the rims !!! Arghhhh
Old 10-03-2007, 03:00 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AndyT
hahaha

the rib is on the outer edge like curb protector on a street tire. those SOBs at Micheln did this on purpose so that you can't flip the tires on the rims !!! Arghhhh

The hell you can't.... I've been reversing Blues since they came out. I ran a set of blues with 4 IMSA heat cycles all day Friday and in the snowy morning session Saturday at Miller this past weekend. Total of 5 additional cycles with arguably fresh rubber on the inside. I 've yet to have any issues with running them reversed ever!

I do swap them side-to-side to keep them rotating in the same direction though Michelin claims that doesn't matter. I had planned to switch to stickers for Saturday's 1-hour Enduro, but since I was so lost on that track I figured why waste fresh slicks on a race I knew I wouldn't be competitive in (and I wasn't)....
Old 10-03-2007, 05:33 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Hey that's great. I guess I was misinformed about the not being able to flip the ribbed tires. I've learned there is alot of misinformed individuals out there. One of the reasons for starting this forum was to clarify that misinformation.

Sorry Michelin man, I take it back, I love my new S8D blue yellow ribbed cup tires : )

So Chris those rears I bought from you are definately Daytona spec tires. Now I have more the reason to go down there !! BTW the check is in the mail.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:13 PM
AW
Pro

I ordered cup tires for the last weekend and received some S9A for the rear. These rears only lasted 4 heat cycles, or about half what I could get with yellow sticker rear cup tires. In my last race the car was sliding all over and I became a moving chicane, turning 4s slower per lap.

I think I'm done with Michelin. I'm tired to pay top $ for rubber and receive junk.

What are the blues? 997 cup tires?

Thanks

AW
Old 11-02-2007, 12:48 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Blues are 997. The S9 is the rear yellow cup tire. The fronts are S8Ds
Old 11-02-2007, 03:47 PM
AW
Pro

In my experience, S9A rears are different from yellow sticker rears. The yellow stickers have a reinforced belt and last a lot longer. (12 hc instead of 5-6)

This has been my experience over 5 set of tires (3 S9A, 2 yellow sticker), same setup, driver and track.

Is it possible to mount blue cup tires on 996 cup rims?

AW
Old 11-02-2007, 04:00 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AW
I ordered cup tires for the last weekend and received some S9A for the rear. These rears only lasted 4 heat cycles, or about half what I could get with yellow sticker rear cup tires. In my last race the car was sliding all over and I became a moving chicane, turning 4s slower per lap.
I think I'm done with Michelin. I'm tired to pay top $ for rubber and receive junk.
What are the blues? 997 cup tires?
Thanks
AW
Arnauld,
4 quality cycles is all I've ever gotten from Michelin Yellows whether Cups or the 9S's. After that they are still good for practice session expecially if you reverse them on the rims putting fresh rubber on the inside. They will be better once they cool down too...

A point about the car sliding in your race. Did you take hot temps after the race? Your rears might have been in the 32 -34 range as they can easily climb that high from a lower initial setting over a 30 minute or longer race. Their hot target is 30lbs, I like them 28-29 hot. That of course would explain your greasy tires. Cup tires pressures are also very dependent on weather and track conditions. While I may go out with 22/21 for a practice session, I will set them considerably lower like 18-19 cold in the rears before a race. For the 1hr.15 min. IMSA race at Laguna 2 weeks ago, the winner said he went out with 17.5-18 cold in the rears....

Quick Reply: Michelin Slicks