Sponsored by:

Buy a cup car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 08:35 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Buy a cup car?

Alright, just how do you buy a Cup car? I've heard you have to contact Porsche in Santa Ana, Calif and wait forever. So, I would get it home and park it unless I could take it to the track. Right? I would love one, anyway.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:40 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A new one ? You need to have a racing license first of all and then you deal with PMNA from there. Let the gurus confirm that though. Why not buy a pre-owned one? There seems to be some 997 cups in very good shape for sale right now.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:54 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Getting one from Porsche can be done but will take a while (probably 2010 now) We got on the list earlier this year and have the posibility for getting one in 09. Best bet is to get a used one there are many out there for reasonable prices.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:02 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

What are the requirements for getting a racing license?
Old 09-30-2007, 09:14 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dertub
What are the requirements for getting a racing license?
This is probably a stupid question ... but why would you want to buy a cup car if you don't have a racing license?
Old 09-30-2007, 09:21 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Ha, ha. You're partially right. I'm just trying to identify the complete buying process. <I might just have a small, private track without the intention of competitive racing> Porsches are addictive and their owners don't always have complete, common sense. I am one of those, for sure.

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:23 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

These are great road car, just need to stick a set of crome wheels + road tires and get a decent sound system installed.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:32 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Check out www.pca.org and go to the Club Racing area. There are detailed instructions there on how to apply for and obtain a "Club Race" license. Also the SCCA has their own system and requirements as well. You can also pay out the wazu and go the Skip Barber route. I think the best idea is picking up a used car. There are some very well maintained cars out there. 996 and 997 variety. Rick Deman usually has a few very solid cars for sale. I bought mine sight unseen from a fellow Rennlister and the previous owner is a great guy and gave me the whole rundown on the car no BS. I got exactly what i expected. I can't say one bad thing about the car, I LOVE IT
Old 10-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Blocktrader
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your not going to race it buy a used one. If you want a new one you have to register with IMSA and pay for the whole year in advance. Before you even do that, find a race shop that can help you.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:06 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If money were no object, I'd get in line for a new one (997 - oh the sequential!) Since money is an object, I need to decide whether to continue down the slippery slope of making my DE-only "street" 996 GT3 a more competent track car, or buy a 996 Cup for the same purpose.

I get my kicks out of driving it HARD - and could really care less about the wheel to wheel racing element. For that, I will consider go karts with a very supportive rib protection system!

Cup cars are sex on wheels. (there I said it! Couldn't help myself...)

-B
Old 10-01-2007, 09:33 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blocktrader
If your not going to race it buy a used one. If you want a new one you have to register with IMSA and pay for the whole year in advance. Before you even do that, find a race shop that can help you.
Not only that but for 2008 you have to post a "penalty bond" of which IMSA will deduct $5k (IIRC) for every race you miss.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dave morris
This is probably a stupid question ... but why would you want to buy a cup car if you don't have a racing license?
Does that mean I have to give mine up?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

yes PM me and I will pick it up in the morning and deposit you some crappy DE car in its place.

Quick Reply: Buy a cup car?