Sponsored by:

Cup car prices

Old 09-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Cup car prices

Pulled this from the "first post" thread to start a new thread...

Hey Glen, do you think 996 cup car prices will start to come down once more 997 cars hit the market or do you think 996 prices will stay fairly stable over the next couple of years? Do I have it right that the 996's are more desirable for the average club racer given the ABS and other stuff?
Old 09-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Should remain fairly stable, reason is they are being wrecked at a pretty good clip.The good ones with an unbent tub are getting harder and harder to find but many repaired cars are fine also, just depends on the repair. There are no more tubs available at this point so it would be reasonable to expect the 6 platform to become more and more desired over time... I would agree that the 6 is a very desirable club race car, the abs can bail You out in a big way and they are very very durable long lasting platforms. There are wear items of course but nothing unreasonable. they are really dirt cheap when You compare other options ...many will debate this but I think I can prove that out. The early 6 Cups are far and away the best bang for the buck in club racing right now for several reasons. There has been a littany written on this in other forums and as items are discussed i will try to link various relevant posts and discussions I can recall. If everyone else does the same we can have a pile of relevant data here in a very short time.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:05 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How much are the 997 cup cars? And sorry for the complete newbie question, but how does one go about purchasing one?
Old 09-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

996's will stay steady. $70-$135k depending on year, equipment, hours, and condition. Great cars.

997's are still pre-selling out by order, especially for special models like GrandAm spec and RSR. It's tough to get timely allocation.

If you're looking for a 997, you'll have to buy one pre-owned. They're $170-190k used depending again on equipment, hours, and condition. Do take note operating cost on a 997 is about 1.5x 996.

Yes, they are selling used for the same price as they are paid for when new. The market demand is there.

TRG has been known to help with allocation if you're doing arrive and drive with us.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:25 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

964 cups: $65-75k if you could ever find one in the US. €50-60k + shipping from Europe.
993 cups: No idea in the US. €65-80k + shipping from Europe

The prices are rising as dollar continues to weaken. But they are going up in europe too, as there were so few built. It is pretty amazing to think that at the Northeast races we have ~4% of all the 964 euro cups ever built (9 of 290 euros).

The 964 USAs have historically been at the higher end of the euro cup range, but not sure if/how that will change over the next few years.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:55 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
964 cups: $65-75k if you could ever find one in the US. €50-60k + shipping from Europe.
993 cups: No idea in the US. €65-80k + shipping from Europe

The prices are rising as dollar continues to weaken. But they are going up in europe too, as there were so few built. It is pretty amazing to think that at the Northeast races we have ~4% of all the 964 euro cups ever built (9 of 290 euros).

The 964 USAs have historically been at the higher end of the euro cup range, but not sure if/how that will change over the next few years.
I'm surprised more of these cars aren't being sold/shipped overseas given the weakness of the dollar.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:54 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll take a contrarian view on the 996 Cup car prices, I think you will see them come down 15-20% over the next year. For 2008, I believe PMNA is importing twice the number of 997s than previous years to support all of the various forms of motorsports where they run. These cars are upgraded from 2007 with more HP and some other additions. So, if you want to win, you need a 2008 car or an upgraded eariler car. The older cars have to go somewhere and there is simply a limited market. My opinion.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by dave morris
I'm surprised more of these cars aren't being sold/shipped overseas given the weakness of the dollar.
in a word 'lack of service history', buying a car that has been raced by one of the top German teams is preferred to a car that has been bought by a US hobbyist and not driven or maintained to professional standards. In time, as 996 Cups become classics, there will be demand for them, but for now although the economics look good, the inability to judge how the car has been driven and looked after is a show stopper.

several friends worked their way through University by very selectively re-importing cars into Europe from the US, the best ones, from an eco0nomic viewpoint were youngtimers.

R+C
Old 09-23-2007, 07:21 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
a car that has been bought by a US hobbyist and not driven or maintained to professional standards.
That's interesting. My comments were directed at the 964 series ... as far as being "driven to professional standards" is concerned, most of the old race films I've seen of 964s raced in Europe seemed to have a distinct demolition derby feel. While there may be car to car contact in races here, it is infrequent ... nowhere near demolition derby like. Maybe because all these cars are being run by privateers.

As to cars over here not being "maintained to professional standards" ... pardon me for saying so, but that is total bunk IMHO.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:10 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 39 Posts

Over here in the USA most people have the reverse opinion - most people would pay more for a car that was bought by a gentleman club racer and run in DEs and PCA club races rather than a European-raced car which was run much harder and probably has many more repairs.

FWIW
Old 09-24-2007, 08:47 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Buying a car after is has been professionally raced is a crap shoot. They were all run hard and put away wet. They have all been crashed, some just harder than others.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:16 PM
MnM28
2nd Gear

Does anyone have any idea of current market prices (or recent transactions) for 993 Cups in the US?

Thanks, Mark

NNJR #28
Old 10-11-2007, 11:58 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by MnM28
Does anyone have any idea of current market prices (or recent transactions) for 993 Cups in the US?

Thanks, Mark

NNJR #28

Mark,

I know of two recent purchases in the $80K's. Both were decent examples (but had some time on motor), both were 1996's. There are some out there much higher, but they are not moving. Should of kept my 1998, as it is worth now at least what I sold it for in 2002.

JcM

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cup car prices