Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Van Overbeek's Speedvision Cup

Old 06-12-2019, 09:01 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Van Overbeek's Speedvision Cup

Some of you will remember when Glen had this car for sale a little while back and might be interested in an update of sorts.
The person who bought it from Glen had a change of mind and never drove it, but he did have a graphics and wrap package made for it. After a leakdown test and having Dan Jacobs go through it addressing any immediate needs and along with some new rubber I had it delivered to my club track. For me it is somewhat of a novelty car which sees occasional use as I typically drive the 3.8 993 or 6GT3. This thing has nads and is a real hoot to drive! Over the winter Chris Musante had the Ohlins rebuilt and did some fine tuning while we removed the old graphics. The paint was in remarkable shape considering the history and I liked the clean look of the white, so the graphics package was adapted somewhat while still retaining the Flextronics banners. Today was a member's day and I took her out for three sessions. There was just one other driver and he left early so I secured permission to bring it out on track and snap a few photos.
Thanks to whoever programmed the AIM to read "Get Em Madd" on startup, it makes me laugh every time.

The following users liked this post:
kgorman (08-02-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 11:08 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

The car looks great, it's a hoot to drive. I owned it for a brief time, sold it to Glen.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:55 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 607 Likes on 297 Posts

Looks great and keeping original livery appearance is just so cool. Well done.
Rich
Old 06-13-2019, 11:58 AM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Love this car. It looks to be in excellent shape. Kudos to it's custodians.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:12 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I know Johannes said he had some of the best most competitive and fun racing in his career in this car. It's very special to him. It's also fast and trick; the chief engineer is a guru. And its great to see updates. Thanks for posting them!
Old 06-13-2019, 02:09 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Great car ended up with a great steward!!! Glad you are also enjoying her!
Old 06-14-2019, 06:49 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Awesome 6 cup!
Old 06-15-2019, 12:41 PM
Ed@Demonspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 161 Likes on 118 Posts

I love the Demon Speed wing uprights with the nuclear symbol all painted yellow. My I add these pictures to the customer car section of the website.

Thanks
Ed

https://www.goodaero.com/
Race Designed Aerodynamics

https://racingtirewarmers.com/
Win more races with tire warmers

Great products for racers by racers

ed@demonspeed.com

Demon Speed Motorsports is a proud sponsor of PCA and the Club Racing Program

Old 06-17-2019, 08:32 AM
Hamsterace
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase - you did well! I was very interested in the car when it was for sale last year, and spoke to the owner at length who couldn't have been more helpful or charming. It clearly was a very, very good car with great provenance. I was looking at another old car of Glen's in Canada at the time, and ended up buying that instead (due its Daytona history) - but if for any reason the deal had fallen through I would have been more than happy to end up with your car. Here in England we call it the "London bus syndrome" - you wait for one for ages and then two come along at once!

I wish you many years of enjoyment with it.

PS - I still have all the emails which the previous owner sent me with a few attachments. I feel sure he will likely have forwarded the same information to you, but if you would like me to forward these to you then by all means PM me.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:21 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Demon Speed uprights on that car.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:33 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I was either me or my brother that programmed "Get em MadB" into the dash. The car was in our shop (Gorman Motorsports - Data Acquisition) and we did the dash install, wiring, programming, etc. Madb or "Mad Bomber" is Mikes nickname. He bought the car from Tom/Johannes to go race SCCA. Yeah, the car has some super trick mods done back in the day by the Flying Lizard wizards, I think specifically Tommy if I remember correctly.

That car has had some *awesome* owners including Mike and Glenn. Enjoy it in good health, she's a beauty and hauls the mail! Love what you've done with her.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:34 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by kgorman
I was either me or my brother that programmed "Get em MadB" into the dash. The car was in our shop (Gorman Motorsports - Data Acquisition) and we did the dash install, wiring, programming, etc. Madb or "Mad Bomber" is Mikes nickname. He bought the car from Tom/Johannes to go race SCCA. Yeah, the car has some super trick mods done back in the day by the Flying Lizard wizards, I think specifically Tommy if I remember correctly.

That car has had some *awesome* owners including Mike and Glenn. Enjoy it in good health, she's a beauty and hauls the mail! Love what you've done with her.
Thank you for that bit of info as it explains a lot.
Going through it I'm finding it's condition shows relativelylittle signs of wear considering it's age and history. This was a pleasant surprise as typical signs of wear (race car use and abuse) are not present as one might expect. I'm running 265's up front and 305's in the rear and can pretty much break it loose in any gear 1-4 so to say I'm enjoying it, is an understatement. My club track is 2.3 miles with 14 turns and an overall 509' of elevation change so the close ratio box is perfect. Being set up for standing starts back in it's Speedvision days, it isn't overly "paddock friendly" however, but that is fine by me.
Craig Watkins ( Smart Racing Products/ Kussmall Chronicles) had his hand in it as chief engineer in it's early days before or along with Tommy.
Thanks again.
Regards,

Old 09-21-2020, 05:19 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Cemoto
Thank you for that bit of info as it explains a lot.
Going through it I'm finding it's condition shows relativelylittle signs of wear considering it's age and history. This was a pleasant surprise as typical signs of wear (race car use and abuse) are not present as one might expect. I'm running 265's up front and 305's in the rear and can pretty much break it loose in any gear 1-4 so to say I'm enjoying it, is an understatement. My club track is 2.3 miles with 14 turns and an overall 509' of elevation change so the close ratio box is perfect. Being set up for standing starts back in it's Speedvision days, it isn't overly "paddock friendly" however, but that is fine by me.
Craig Watkins ( Smart Racing Products/ Kussmall Chronicles) had his hand in it as chief engineer in it's early days before or along with Tommy.
Thanks again.
Regards,

Yes, it was Craig. Exactly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Van Overbeek's Speedvision Cup