Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Start it?

Old 04-09-2019, 08:01 PM
modifier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start it?

This is embarrassing, but some years ago I bought a 2008 997 Cup car in Florida. At that point I had a condo down there and there was also a nice road course 60 miles from my house in Kansas City. But before I could take advantage of any of that I sold my condo and the road course shut down. Life was too busy and I only got down to Fla once to drive the car on a track and that day I had a support crew with me from the shop where I bought the car so I just had to get in an drive and didn't lean much about it. I flue in, drove it about an hour, got rained out, and flew home.

It had a standard shift lever at the time with a blipper. Before I had it shipped up to KC I had the shop install a paddle shift system, but I'm not sure of the make. I asked the shop who did it if it came with any kind of manual and he said no.

I have not had time to drive the car up here yet, but the road course was taken over by someone else, they repaved it and it's open again, plus there are a couple of other tracks in the Midwest. So I'm going to try to make the time this summer to spend some time on them.

The guy said repeatedly he was going to print out a starting procedure on the car, but of course he never did, and later when I pressed him on it he said "they're all different so I don't know". I got it to fire up for a few seconds today, but it would not idle, plus I had read something about there being a sequence to the fuel pumps that has to be done a certain way or things can be screwed up, so I didn't want to push it. I'll attach a photo of my dash, but not much is very clear, and some of the toggles are 3 way, like the fuel pump ( In tank-Run) switch and the (Main-Run. Could someone clue me in as to what all the buttons and switches do and the procedure? The button top left says "main" then there is also the switch with the red cover lower right, plus the (Ignition) switch. The start button is over where the key switch would be.

Also how do you find neutral and reverse with paddle shifters?

Thanks so much. You know I feel like an idiot already so try not to rub it in.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:17 PM
modifier
Instructor

On line manual shows this. Which is not of much help.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/14...page=59#manual
Old 04-09-2019, 08:57 PM
roddw
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Re: Finding N and R w/paddles:

I have KW paddles in my cup and simply pull left paddle until dash shows "N", then both left and right to engage "R".

Best of luck getting your Cup up and running at the track!!
Old 04-09-2019, 11:34 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

first time incounter with a cup. nothing wrong with it. All very exciting if you ask me!
Old 04-10-2019, 12:15 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

1 year or cup ownership for me and I’m still terrified every time I start it. You’re normal
Old 04-10-2019, 10:03 AM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I may be stating the obvious, but have you thought about locating a good shop to work on your car. They could offer some help - plus provide information you did not even know you did not know. Good luck!
Old 04-10-2019, 10:55 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bauerjab
It locating a good shop to work on your car. !
make sure it is a shop that knows cup cars and preferably maintains a few 997 cup race cars so they know what they are doing. your regular "german import repair shop" wont do you any good regardless of how good they are.
ask them for references of cup car owners who maintain their car there and check the references out.

if you share your location some of the regulars here might be able to point you in the right direction
Old 04-10-2019, 11:11 AM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like a normal 7.1 cup switch panel with a couple of additions. The amber light is a low fuel warning. I don’t know what the capped switch at the bottom is for, maybe something to do with your paddle shifter. All other switches and lights are labeled and self explanatory.

To start; Main switch on, both fuel pumps down to “run”, ignition switch on. Look for an “N” on your MoTeC display. If not, hit the Left paddle until you get one. Depress the start button until it starts. If everything is working correctly, it should fire right up and settle into an idle. To shut it down, simply switch the ignition switch up to off.

As far as finding reverse, that depends on what brand of paddle shifter you have. Some use a switch or button while others use a unique combination with the paddles. If you could post what brand, maybe someone on here that has the same can chime in with the procedure.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:31 PM
modifier
Instructor

Originally Posted by dogger15
Looks like a normal 7.1 cup switch panel with a couple of additions. The amber light is a low fuel warning. I don’t know what the capped switch at the bottom is for, maybe something to do with your paddle shifter. All other switches and lights are labeled and self explanatory.

To start; Main switch on, both fuel pumps down to “run”, ignition switch on. Look for an “N” on your MoTeC display. If not, hit the Left paddle until you get one. Depress the start button until it starts. If everything is working correctly, it should fire right up and settle into an idle. To shut it down, simply switch the ignition switch up to off.

As far as finding reverse, that depends on what brand of paddle shifter you have. Some use a switch or button while others use a unique combination with the paddles. If you could post what brand, maybe someone on here that has the same can chime in with the procedure.
Thanks. So the "Main" and "In Tank" are both fuel pumps? Why are there 2 switches if they both need to be on? I don't know what brand of paddle shift system it is. I'm not sure where to look for a logo. Nothing on the paddles. I bet the explanation above is the way it works. Shift down until you hit neutral and hold both to shift to reverse. You would think there would be something keeping you from going to neutral on the way down by accident, but maybe not. You might be right about the shielded switch having something to do with the shift system, or the recording system. It was not there before i had that stuff installed as shown in the before pic. I'm guessing the red "Main Switch" button turns on the MoTeC.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:33 PM
modifier
Instructor

Old 04-10-2019, 10:39 PM
modifier
Instructor

Originally Posted by MarcD147
make sure it is a shop that knows cup cars and preferably maintains a few 997 cup race cars so they know what they are doing. your regular "german import repair shop" wont do you any good regardless of how good they are.
ask them for references of cup car owners who maintain their car there and check the references out.

if you share your location some of the regulars here might be able to point you in the right direction

I've asked around and no one else here in Kansas City has a Cup car and not one has worked on them. The dealer as a Master Mechanic and he thinks he could figure it out. I'm sure several guys have GT2s but that's as close as it gets. There is one other shop that used to service and build race Porsches, but nothing like this. Bob Hindson Racing, Inc. But Bob is retired or dead, so someone else is running it. They said they thought they could deal with it too. But unfortunately no one with real world experience. Saint Louis is the closest other bigger city. Not sure if anything is there.

Sorry about the "color" part. Not sure where it came from and I can't get rid of it with an edit.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:40 PM
modifier
Instructor

Originally Posted by roddw
Re: Finding N and R w/paddles:

I have KW paddles in my cup and simply pull left paddle until dash shows "N", then both left and right to engage "R".

Best of luck getting your Cup up and running at the track!!
Thanks. That makes sense. So nothing to keep your from accidentally shifting down to far into neutral on the track?
Old 04-10-2019, 10:42 PM
modifier
Instructor

Originally Posted by bauerjab
I may be stating the obvious, but have you thought about locating a good shop to work on your car. They could offer some help - plus provide information you did not even know you did not know. Good luck!
So far no luck. Nothing in or close to Kansas City at least.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:54 PM
modifier
Instructor

Well now that I know what switches should be in what position I'll try again tomorrow to start it. It might have been 2 years since I started it. When it ran for a few seconds a bunch of heavy white smoke came out of the exhaust and flowed across the floor. I don't remember that happening last time I ran it.

Except for the fact I could swear I remember that you are supposed to turn on 1 fuel pump then the other, or something like that. Also I thought I read something about how one pump for for draining the tank or the system.

I wish there was an owner manual. The service manuals I've looked at say nothing that I can find about operations.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:23 AM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by modifier
Thanks. So the "Main" and "In Tank" are both fuel pumps? Why are there 2 switches if they both need to be on? I don't know what brand of paddle shift system it is. I'm not sure where to look for a logo. Nothing on the paddles. I bet the explanation above is the way it works. Shift down until you hit neutral and hold both to shift to reverse. You would think there would be something keeping you from going to neutral on the way down by accident, but maybe not. You might be right about the shielded switch having something to do with the shift system, or the recording system. It was not there before i had that stuff installed as shown in the before pic. I'm guessing the red "Main Switch" button turns on the MoTeC.
Yes, the Main and in tank are both fuel pumps. Actually, if your car is like mine, the main switch energizes two external electric pumps and the In tank switch energizes two internal (fuel cell), pumps. Since your switch panel sports a low fuel light, I’m guessing you have a 100L fuel cell and that low fuel or fuel tell tale light illuminates when 20L remains.

Your paddle shift system should have a controller and a pneumatic or hydraulic (or both), pump located somewhere inside the car. Both items will be branded.

That Red covered switch looks a lot like the paddle shift system disengage switch on my car.

The Main switch energizes the electrical system.

By the way, I don’t turn the fuel pumps on and off on my car. Those switches are always down when I get in and out of the car. The mechanics may turn those off when the car is going to sit for a while, but I don’t know for sure.

Finally, If you got a bunch of White smoke on initial start up, I wouldn’t recommend another attempt. You may have some kind of coolant problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Start it?