Sponsored by:

Pirelli rain tires--your experience, please

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 12:21 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Pirelli rain tires--your experience, please

For PCA GTC3 and up we must use Pirelli slicks and rains. What road conditions are indicated for rains? Nothing less than standing water in places? Very wet track? Current precipitation?

In short, when do you determine to put rains on instead of slicks, and how dry can the track be before these rains melt?

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2019, 01:15 PM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I've thought it would be nice to pick up a used set of these. Thursday's track day is looking damp.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:07 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

Rains burn up really fast on dry track. Slicks actually work better then people think once heated up on a damp track. They Do Not work with any standing water.

If its a test day or DE and you are on rains if it starts drying come in no sense burning them up.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:27 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve113
Rains burn up really fast on dry track. Slicks actually work better then people think once heated up on a damp track. They Do Not work with any standing water. ...
Thanks, Steve. So, standing water calls for rain tires. Standing water will dry under traffic unless replenished, so slicks unless it is raining enough to keep the track wet, and hope the rain continues enough to keep the rain tires from melting.

Ever see anyone change tires in a PCA enduro? I cannot imagine.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:23 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Ever see anyone change tires in a PCA enduro? I cannot imagine.
Actually watched this happen in the pit right outside of our garage this last weekend at COTA. Was during the Red run group enduro and a Spec Boxster came in for mandatory 5-minute stop and got both right side tires replaced.

I think the trophy was REALLY BIG for the race!
Old 04-01-2019, 09:31 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Slicks on damp/wettish track. Bring some cajoles before the slicks (I mean bricks) get some heat into them.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:22 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

my crew chief tell me if you see spray coming off the tires then the track is wet enough for rains

it is a total driver's call. If the grip is there, then run the slick
Old 04-02-2019, 08:04 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
my crew chief tell me if you see spray coming off the tires then the track is wet enough for rains

it is a total driver's call. If the grip is there, then run the slick
^^^ This. If there are no rooster tails coming from cars, you will burn them up quickly. They are really good for a year or two (depending on storage) and will then fall off quite a bit as they dry out. People change tires at a PCA Enduro if required. Have see it many times. Note that for a refueling Enduro, you can't use electrical tools for that.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:45 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

They key is buy the rains then it never will rain

I used to love wet tracks that were going to dry during the race . Brought in an extra art in finding the dry line . I loved racing in rain
Old 04-04-2019, 03:26 PM
SkeerRacing
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

The oldschool tradition is when you see spray off the cars, rains go on.
Personally I'm ok going to slicks when its a bit wet, but a consider hydroplaining at full lock fun :P
As others have said, it's easy to burn up a set of rains when it drys up fast. Then it's all about finding the puddles to cool them.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:31 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

All very helpful, especially buying rains to assure it will be dry.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:03 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

have fun enjoy that amazing car
Old 04-04-2019, 09:08 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

Slicks will work well on a damp track if you get enough heat in them. Surprisingly so. I did see an enduro at WGI where people changed tires. Actually a mistake. I was warned on the radio that a heavy downpour was coming but it would last ten minutes at most. Rained so hard that i turned the wipers off. Useless. I was terrified, but even so passing people more terrified than me i guess. 11+ cars went off in ONE lap and we went red flag because of all the cars that went off including 4-5 cup that went full tilt boogey down the front straight and THROUGH the tire wall. ( hence the red flag). And while we waited for them to extricate the cars and rebuild the tire wall the sun came out and the track dried 100%.

So would i have liked rains during the shower? Heck yeah! But if you knew the track and where the grip was you could survive although anyone on rains would have eaten me - For about ten minutes. Then their tires would be toast when the short shower ended.

I was never so scared in my life, and cars glued to guard rails didn't help. but the window for rains being useful and getting destroyed was about ten minutes.

So yes, rains for when it's chucking rain, but watch the radar.

Rains are designed to PUMP water out. Anything less and their life span is measured in laps
Old 04-05-2019, 06:00 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Conventional wisdom for a wet track is to soften the suspension and disconnect the sway bars. When the track is wet, but you're not mounting rain tires do you disconnect your sway bars? Front or just rear? Do you soften compression on your shocks? Rebound? How about when you have mounted rains and it is actively raining?
Old 04-06-2019, 09:37 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Conventional wisdom for a wet track is to soften the suspension and disconnect the sway bars. When the track is wet, but you're not mounting rain tires do you disconnect your sway bars? Front or just rear? Do you soften compression on your shocks? Rebound? How about when you have mounted rains and it is actively raining?
I don't drive a Cup but I love racing in the rain. I usually don't overthink it and just take out some can pressure and go full soft on the bars. On certain tracks with good drainage and no sealant I don't bother with the bars.

Quick Reply: Pirelli rain tires--your experience, please