Notices
Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Cartek FIA Rain Light Installation - 996 Cup?

Old 02-27-2019, 01:52 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Cartek FIA Rain Light Installation - 996 Cup?

Has anyone installed the Cartek (or other variety) FIA rain light on a 996 Cup? I am curious about actual positioning of the light and whether one needs to fabricate some sort of mount to ensure the light is perpendicular to the ground if installed on the engine decklid or by the tail on the decklid? Or, did the light get installed in the flat center panel of the rear bumper cover?

I have the Cartek unit for Morespeed Motorsports and am ready to install on my 2001 996 Cup (with the later center tailpipe exit bumper cover), and I am curious what other people are doing. I also plan to install one on my 73 911S with a ducktail, and I am almost positive that I will need to fabricate some sort of mount to properly mount the Cartek unit to (which mount will in turn be installed on the ducktail).

Appreciate thoughts and suggestions on this installation, and pictures are worth bonus points!. Thanks in advance.

Toby
Old 03-01-2019, 03:09 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

We did a test fit in the flat spot in the bumper cover where a license plate (or reg number) would go. We decided that was a good place--very visible at many angles. Noted also that there is an image of a 911 race car in the rain with this light in that position--found it on the Cartek site, I think.

We got the unit that doubles as a brake light, too, when used as a rain light or not both. Bought from Stable Energies, a PCA racing sponsor that gives a 10% discount to PCA racers and other groups. Note that their web site says it can be mounted vertically or horizontally. That is true, but the version they are selling is made to be mounted horizontally--there is a different version designed to be mounted vertically--it's the position of the mounting studs that determines. We are mounting horizontally, of course.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:04 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Thanks Chris. I was thinking that might be a good location, just wasn't sure if it needed to be mounted a bit higher up.

Toby

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cartek FIA Rain Light Installation - 996 Cup?