Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Steel lower control arms? GTC3 and GTC2

Old 03-07-2019, 08:18 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,699 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller
Can the factory cup control arms be modified to accept these pins? I also have a tough time believing the arm itself would actually fail.
The forged body of the Cup and RSR arm is the same. The outboard portion is machined differently to accept the rose monoball which is not sold separately by PM. So the answer is yes and no.

With that said, I’ve never seen or heard of a failed forged RSR LCA. I would always put my money on the PM arms which are battle tested on cars running races like 24hrs of LeMans over some aftermarket arms designed in someone’s garage. I never understood the infatuation with some of these aftermarket parts.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:03 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound

The forged body of the Cup and RSR arm is the same. The outboard portion is machined differently to accept the rose monoball which is not sold separately by PM. So the answer is yes and no.

With that said, I’ve never seen or heard of a failed forged RSR LCA. I would always put my money on the PM arms which are battle tested on cars running races like 24hrs of LeMans over some aftermarket arms designed in someone’s garage. I never understood the infatuation with some of these aftermarket parts.
Couldn’t agree more. I would only ever resort to using A/M if the Porsche Motorsport parts became NLA.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:52 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Having looked at and owed some of the options, I completely agree with John.

Ray
Old 03-22-2019, 08:28 PM
Tarett Engineering
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Don't look GTC3 legal.
They have the same geometry as the OEM arms.

Ira

www.Tarett.com | Sales@Tarett.com | 858.674.5573

Check out our new Suspension Package Designer

Old 03-22-2019, 10:13 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarett Engineering
They have the same geometry as the OEM arms.

Ira
Hi Ira, the geometry may me able to be the same, but the arm is not the same.

Your web site explains: "Camber, caster and wheel base can all be adjusted quickly and precisely with a simple turnbuckle link design. No shims to add or remove. In addition, this kit includes precision adjustable diagonal links for fine tuning caster and adjusting wheel base. All pivot points, at the chassis connection consists of oversized precision grade Teflon lined rod ends. The ball joint also consists of oversized precision grade Teflon lined monoball bushings. The diagonal link to the chassis connection point uses the 997 RSR design which allows it to be raised or lowered to reduce squat and dive during acceleration. For safety, the problematic 12mm ball joint design, used on both OEM and aftermarket arms, has been completely redesigned for a full proof, significantly stronger, and more reliable design that you can count on. To top off this no compromise design the center geometry can also be adjusted to correct for lower ride heights."

That all sounds as though your arm is superior to the OE arm. A goood thing, but it does not seem to meet the 2019 PCA Racing Rule: "GTC2 and GTC3 cars are allowed to replace the pressure-cast aluminum control arms with steel control arms of identical dimensions." Identical to my mind is identical and not with the other adjustments. The Fabcar item that the rule seems to be written for is identical, if NLA.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steel lower control arms? GTC3 and GTC2