Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Where to race 997.1 cup car in Northeast

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 02:57 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

At the risk of causing a bit of controversy can anyone shrare their experience when comparing International GT / Mission GT3 racing and PCA? Track time? Quality of drivers? Overall satisfaction? Handling of car to car contact? Thx!
Old 01-03-2019, 11:08 PM
Ed@Demonspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 161 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by GoatFarmer
Thanks Ed. This is exactly what I was looking for. GTS4 is healthy and very fast in NASA Northeast. Is there anything pre-made based on last years rules? Even a known diameter that worked in the past will help as a starting point on the dyno.
I will also look into IGT. Thanks for the tip.
Sure, I can take a look. A racer friend who has a machine shop in the area here made us a few in different sizes. I can take a picture of one so you can see what it looks like and give you the diameter of the hole. From memory, a 1mm change was about 4 Hp.

Here is a link to my compliance form. You can see what kind of hp I was targeting. Unrestricted my car makes about 400 on a dynojet. Restricted it makes 338 max.

https://gts.nasaseries.com/wp-conten...e-Packet-1.pdf

Thanks

Ed

https://www.goodaero.com/
Race Designed Aerodynamics

https://racingtirewarmers.com/
Win more races with tire warmers

Great products for racers by racers

ed@demonspeed.com

Demon Speed Motorsports is a proud sponsor of PCA and the Club Racing Program

Old 01-03-2019, 11:09 PM
Ed@Demonspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Steve113
Ed is a 996 Cup eligiable in Stuttgart/Mission ?
Absolutely. Pretty loose on the restrictions. Mostly based around engine displacement and tire size.

Thanks
Ed
Old 01-03-2019, 11:45 PM
Ed@Demonspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
At the risk of causing a bit of controversy can anyone shrare their experience when comparing International GT / Mission GT3 racing and PCA? Track time? Quality of drivers? Overall satisfaction? Handling of car to car contact? Thx!
I will make an attempt at this one. I will try to be very politically correct while doing it as well. I will go in order of the groups listed.

International GT gives you the most pro race feel about it. It is also more expensive from an entry fee prospective. They have the best rewards and they have the best podium presentations. They go out of their way to have a strong sense of community. It is a smaller group. With the Porsches and Ferraris together the total car count is between 20 and 35. They typically run with SVRA who put on a great weekend. There is a get together every weekend which is typically held at a local hangout. Easier to do because of the smaller group. The Porsche GT3 Cup 3.6 and 3.8 is typically the biggest of the groups and the racing can be very tight. Everyone, in general, very much respects each other on track. Not exactly gentleman racing, but that next level. Several drivers bring pros to coach them and they co drive for the enduro. Many of the drivers have driven pro series as gentlemen drivers, so they have had quite a bit of coaching over the years. Most drivers are very well funded, but do not act that way. The same drivers travel from event to event, so you will see the same core group at every track.

As for track time, I often hear complaints about the amount of time on track because on Friday and Saturday there is typically only two sessions each day. However, there is an extra day in the mix. Thursday is also a practice day. 4 half hour sessions on Thursday. Two on Friday and two on Saturday with a 90 minute enduro on Sunday. If you want more, sign up for SVRA group 10 and get twice as much, but even with the regular signup that equates to 5-1/2 hours of on track time in a weekend.

Car to car contact is handled on a case by case basis. The frequency is very rare. Reaction is everything from a firm look to quietly being asked to leave. Most discussions are done one on one and are private. The administrator takes the position that it is his game and you play nice or go home. Period.

Great video productions too. See how many times you see my car or hear my name:

Porsche club racing is a lot of fun. You are typically running in a group with similar speed cars. If you go to an event like Watkins, the run group is about 90% cup cars or variants. There is a much wider range of drivers and skill level than with IGT. More similar to NASA. Everything from a new racer to a 20 year veteran racer. The rules are much more structured both for the car and the driver. It, of course, needs to be because of the size of the field. PCA is more focused on gentleman racing and they are put off by aggressive or highly competitive driving. The focus is to make it as safe and fun of a place for the majority to race.
Car contact is handled with a very structured 13/13 rule set which has been greatly relaxed over the years. However, racing incident is not something that is in their vocabulary. in the vast majority of contacts, there is fault and the person at fault gets the 13.
Track time sees several (4?) sessions on Friday, qualifying and double sprints on Saturday, and an enduro on Sunday.

Racing with PCA is similar, but more regimented than NASA. I especially like racing at Watkins PCA because of the number of cup cars that show up.

Thanks

Ed

Old 01-04-2019, 09:05 AM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for the insights Ed. I've done quite a bit of PCA racing over the last 15 years and enjoy it. The IGT program sounds equally as enjoyable and I plan to explore a few of the races.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:26 AM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed@Demonspeed
Sure, I can take a look. A racer friend who has a machine shop in the area here made us a few in different sizes. I can take a picture of one so you can see what it looks like and give you the diameter of the hole. From memory, a 1mm change was about 4 Hp.

Here is a link to my compliance form. You can see what kind of hp I was targeting. Unrestricted my car makes about 400 on a dynojet. Restricted it makes 338 max.

https://gts.nasaseries.com/wp-conten...e-Packet-1.pdf

Thanks

Ed
Many thanks Ed. This is very helpful.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:36 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

So Memorial Day at Lime Rock whats better to run SVRA or International GT ?
Old 01-04-2019, 07:21 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
So Memorial Day at Lime Rock whats better to run SVRA or International GT ?
I'd like to see you put some pressure on the 997 cups in the 3.6 class of IGT.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:24 PM
Ed@Demonspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It would be great to run with you. I am planning to come and run IGT.

Thanks
Ed
Old 01-05-2019, 01:14 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Ed for the info on IGT. Sounds like a great group and a lot of fun. Can you point me to the rules for their Cup series. On their website I can only find the Stuttgart and Maranello series rules.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:22 PM
Ed@Demonspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by guardsredcab
Thanks Ed for the info on IGT. Sounds like a great group and a lot of fun. Can you point me to the rules for their Cup series. On their website I can only find the Stuttgart and Maranello series rules.
I would encourage you to reach out the Ken Fengler, the organizer of the series. For now, the rules for the GT3 Cup Trophy series are pretty basic. Engine size and tire size. They are developing further rules that will potentially provide weight penalties for different items. If the car is too modified, it goes into the X class, but things like taller uprights, paddles, ABS, splitters, ... are fair game.

Thanks
Ed
Old 01-07-2019, 10:21 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

IGT Lime Rocks looks like its the one
Old 01-08-2019, 09:20 PM
Ed@Demonspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GoatFarmer
Many thanks Ed. This is very helpful.
Here are pictures of the restrictors. The one in front is the one I have been using with the size on it.

Thanks

Ed

Old 01-11-2019, 04:26 PM
ian996gt3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This IGT event at LRP looks very intriguing…

Although allowing ABS on a 997.1 Cup would make a huge difference in turn #1 at LRP.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:27 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

I like having it over you 997.1 guys although might trade for the HP difference

Quick Reply: Where to race 997.1 cup car in Northeast