Notices
Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Right-side or cage nets--how to install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 10:08 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Right-side or cage nets--how to install?

Planning to install a right-side net wrapping around the containment seat in a 996 cup car. Where have you installed, or seen installed, the front attachment point? Replacing a centre vent in the dash? Any help about where to attach would be appreciated, especially with photos.

On the same topic, HMS notes that the FIA wants TWO nets attached to the cage AND a window net: "The FIA recommends that a net be installed on either side of the seat for driver restraint, the FIA does not view the exterior net as adequate for restraining the driver, they would like to see two interior nets whenever possible. Tudor series currently enforces this and mandates two interior nets as well as a window net.". You can see the HMS description and links to the FIA info HERE.

Anyone see that in PCA Club Racing?

Happy New Year!
Old 12-29-2018, 12:21 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Inside the dash is a crash bar. we connect the front to this. Comes right out the center vent then. Dont have a 6 in shop at moment or I would show you. Also if you use a side window, then you don't need a window net and yes it is hotter than heck so have good coolsuit with cold air.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:08 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Here is what my old school set-up looks like. What should also be addressed is the rear attachment to the bar. If you just loop it around the bar without some type of stopper clamp, the top loop will slide, so depending on your bar you may need a few of these.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:36 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cemoto
What should also be addressed is the rear attachment to the bar.
That is an excellent point. What is the effective means of attaching the wide side of the net to the cage?
Old 01-01-2019, 06:58 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I do not have a photo available at the moment, but think of a steering wheel hook type of clamp clamped to the top bar to keep the looped net from sliding towards the passenger side. Does that help? It will be a while before I can take a photo.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:15 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I do not have a photo available at the moment, but think of a steering wheel hook type of clamp clamped to the top bar to keep the looped net from sliding towards the passenger side. Does that help? It will be a while before I can take a photo.
Yes, thanks. We have some time to get it all right. I'm just not picturing it in my mind, yet.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:57 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

This is not my car but you can see how the bar clamp is placed on the top bar to help hold the net from sliding . . .

Regards,

Old 01-05-2019, 10:23 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

This is not my car but you can see how the bar clamp is placed on the top bar to help hold the net from sliding . . .

Regards,
Very helpful. The FIA fitment requirements are daunting.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:00 PM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Chris

Just saw this thread. If you haven't done the right side net yet, get the new Scroth FIA net - it comes with much longer straps than Simpson and 1" front strap vs. OMP 2" front strap. Both make it much easier to install and you can cut and heat seal excess strap length after installation. If you use an adjustable seat you can't put top of net inside seat halo as FIA recommends or you can't move seat forward. When you wrap around the bar under the dash make sure you go under the wiring harness and any loose wires (don't crush them under strap). In Cayman I fed through vent on right center, in Cup I ran under bottom of dash right of center stack achieving close to the desired horizontal position. If your seat is adjustable, move forward, snug the straps until they are tight when you move seat back to normal position. Add the fixing collar on inside of roll bar as other post shows to keep it from slipping - available from Stable Energies and others for 40mm roll cage. Side straps typically wrap behind seat to roll cage post behind rear edge of door and don't need collars.

Bob
Old 02-05-2019, 05:28 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Bob. Very helpful. Went with the Schroth nets, right and left both plus window net. Will need to practice rapid egress!
Old 02-05-2019, 06:16 PM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Will need to practice rapid egress![/QUOTE]

Yep, I had the get out fast drill during my fuel fire at Sebring Club Race last year. I would add "shut off fuel pump" as an early step in your drill. My first steps were Pressing Fire Button (little discernible effect - very disappointing); Shutting off fuel pump in case it was a fuel fire (it was - not pumping more fuel on the fire helped a lot), and yelling in my radio "CAR'S ON FIRE", Cutting power (which should have cut fuel pump but wanted to yell in radio before cutting power), then harness off, net down and door open. I just forced myself out without disconnecting helmet air, cool suit, radio and drink lines - they all disconnected or broke no problem. You do NOT want to hang around and inhale smoke - hold your breath if necessary.

I hope you never need to get out quick.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:36 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Bob, what kind of connector do you have for your radio that disconnected easily?
Old 02-05-2019, 09:47 PM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarcD147
Bob, what kind of connector do you have for your radio that disconnected easily?
Marc

I use a Stilo helmet that has female radio socket on left. the plug pulled loose when I forced my way out. The helmet air fitting on top of helmet ripped off helmet, stayed with the hose. Drink tube on right of helmet also ripped off helmet. I had the red Coolsuit connectors and they separated. I sent the Helmet back to HMS for repairs and had the linings replaced while I was at it, getting rid of a few years of stinky sweat.

Bob

Last edited by obsessedone; 02-07-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:16 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks for the detail.

Having all these connections I worry about emergency exit procedures
Old 02-07-2019, 11:20 AM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Chris, Attached picture from Service Manual shows under dash bar you would connect front strap of right side net to. If you go right of center stack you would wrap around area "A". If you decide to go through center stack as in post #3 you would wrap around area "B" - in this area a collar on left would reduce risk of strap sliding to left (depending where you go through stack - most go to right to reduce interference of the net with shifting). In area "A" the bracket pictured projecting towards rear of car will keep strap from sliding to left. Note: this picture is from 997 manual - may differ slightly from 996.

Quick Reply: Right-side or cage nets--how to install?