Notices
Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

My New To Me 997.1 Cup! What an experience!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 10:57 AM
FastCarSlo
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats! Your experience is exactly the same as my shift from a 991 GT3 to a 997.1 cup this year. Only have one outing on it but was as equally surprised how “easy” it drove compared to my assumptions. I agree on maintenance too for DE and light racing.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:52 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,045 Posts

I'm looking for a track only car and decided to hop into this forum to start educating myself on the cup cars. Ironically, I live in NOLA and had dinner the other night with a guy who races a 996 GT3 Cup. He only paid $70k for it. The price was shocking to me since I was initially planning to get a new 718 GTS for $95k for the track.

OP: Can I ask you how much you paid for yours?

Anybody else: How much are the engine and transmission rebuilds?

For context, I own a 2018 C4 and a 2014 Boxster S. I've done 6 track days so a real newbie.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:54 AM
DarrellT
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The rebuild cycle depends somewhat on your use. And Abuse! Motors for 996 cups in DE usage typically run well over 200 hours and I know of one that is close to 300 hours. At 200 hours it was very strong showing Dyno numbers around 360 rwh. Cost depends on who you use too. Porsche is the most expensive as I have spent $35k on one before with them. And no crisis was evident. Let’s see what other numbers are floated as I have only experienced Porsche!
Old 12-11-2018, 08:07 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 218 Posts

Cost for rebuild seems to vary quite a lot depending on what shop you use and what parts are changed. I'd also like to know more!
Old 12-11-2018, 08:58 AM
zracer196
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I'm looking for a track only car and decided to hop into this forum to start educating myself on the cup cars. Ironically, I live in NOLA and had dinner the other night with a guy who races a 996 GT3 Cup. He only paid $70k for it. The price was shocking to me since I was initially planning to get a new 718 GTS for $95k for the track.

OP: Can I ask you how much you paid for yours?

Anybody else: How much are the engine and transmission rebuilds?

For context, I own a 2018 C4 and a 2014 Boxster S. I've done 6 track days so a real newbie.
The feedback above on hours and cost is pretty in line with what I was hearing. In my case I have limited time...So hopefully I get to do 8-12 events this next year. At that rate I have a couple of years before a rebuild is needed. IF I start racing the car I know this will be shortened...But my plans are up the in air right now on that.

My car was listed by NolaSport for $80K...It has a motor in it with 45 hours and the gearbox with half of that. I also got an extra set of wheels, fresh fluids, etc. The guys at NolaSport could help you I'm sure...I would get in touch with Jon if I were you...He is a great guy.

Good luck!!!

Quick Reply: My New To Me 997.1 Cup! What an experience!!!