Sponsored by:

GT4 Clubsport Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 01:50 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
To the cords? How many heat cycles are you getting from them? How big is the degradation in performance from the first cycle to the last?
My typical tire life in club racing with the Pirelli would be to run 3 fresh sets for a weekend. One set per race. (Qualify/Sprint 1, Sprint 2 and the Enduro).

A month later, I would use the same 3 sets for 3 days of practice prior to a club race. One old set per day. (2 days of david murry followed by 1 day of PCA etc).
I use it for "cost control" and to stop from "cheating" corners on stickers when learning a new track.

Naturally, the month old tires with only a 30 minute Sprint on them have lots of life still on them but they will be off by a couple/few seconds compared to stickers.
This is fine for me when learning a track during a warm up, D.E or club race practice IMO. I will run them for up to four 30 minute sessions depending on how they feel. Once they lose their stick, you will be fighting the car to do what you want it to do and will need to put on another set of tires. This however helps you prepare for a 80-90 minute club Enduro when the track is hot and your tires become crappy anyhow. (Nice to know how to deal with tired tires before hand.)

I am not sure how many heat cycles that would be? 1x 30 minute sprint, and 4 x 30 minutes sessions a month later?
Old 12-15-2018, 05:05 PM
Obturate
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I think someone once said "you have to drive your tires". Not much fun out on track on tires that are shot, but adjust accordingly.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:38 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 204 Posts

Thanks for the input. Experience seems similar in the CS as when we used this tire on the Ferrari Challenge cars. First 3 cycles were strong. I usually ran another 3 cycles or so at much slower times and then anything after that became car control clinic. Though there are benefits to that as long as you go out with the mindset of working on car control as opposed to lap times. I agree, its good to know what the tire feels like when it gives up! And on the Pirelli I remember that being like falling off a cliff instead of a gradual drop off. Especially in the 430 Challenge that was hyper sensitive to set-up changes.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:00 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 203 Posts

I ran some Pirellis on the rear of my 6 cup a couple weekends ago with probably 15-18 (unsure exactly, could be 20 or more!) cycles on them and it was fine? Was not fast but far from un-drivable. Still about half the tread depth in the tire too, the rubber seems to be endless. Maybe a different story in a 997.2 or 991 cup with big power and torque.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:57 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller
I ran some Pirellis on the rear of my 6 cup a couple weekends ago with probably 15-18 (unsure exactly, could be 20 or more!) cycles on them and it was fine? Was not fast but far from un-drivable. Still about half the tread depth in the tire too, the rubber seems to be endless. Maybe a different story in a 997.2 or 991 cup with big power and torque.
If they have tread, they will still work. (unless they are hard).
They wont be fast but they are drivable as long as you are not pushing for lap time or driving 8/10ths.
Not bad for D.E on a budget .
Old 12-16-2018, 09:27 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
If they have tread, they will still work. (unless they are hard).
They wont be fast but they are drivable as long as you are not pushing for lap time or driving 8/10ths.
Not bad for D.E on a budget .
Absolutely! Yep they’re still soft and I intend on running then one more time at a club track day in the new year.

Quick Reply: GT4 Clubsport Tires