Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Cup Newbie. Open trailer options??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 05:22 PM
DarrellT
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Race Ramps are the best - I have sets for both of my enclosed trailers - the gooseneck trailer ramps are 10' long and are two pieces so that I get the right angle.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:53 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I created a thread about this and other details around self supporting a while back (https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...upporting.html). An open trailer is a fine choice, but yeah get an ATC or Featherlite (some people swear by Aluma and Trailex). The ATC and 20’ Featherlite come with 7’ ramps, but that’s not quite enough, you will need about 3degrees load angle, so do your trig on a right triangle to find it. I use race ramps and they are great.

Winch is mandatory. I have a pit cart I wheel around with nitrogen and supporting tools and spares. It all works fine, but it’s not like I am at the track every day so YMMV. I have a heavy steel trailer and it sux. I think it’s easier to remove the bumper than the splitter. But you won’t want to do that anyway. I use open because I can keep it at my house.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:16 AM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
If you have open windows, obviously an enclosed trailer is required. Enclosed also allows you to store all the stuff that comes along with cup ownership.
Loading and offloading a race car for track days can be exhausting, especially in the heat. Then supporting the car is another job.

I would seriously consider finding a shop that can support your car so you can arrive and drive.
+1 on arrive and drive.

A 7.1 cup is a pretty complex car to try to self support. I was in the same position as you a couple of years ago. I bought the tricked out enclosed trailer and a diesel tow vehicle. Then I spent the equivalent of the purchase price of my car on a bunch of the gear needed to support it before I realized I was in over my head with respect to the time, effort and skill needed to pull it off.

I got into this to have fun and while I like to turn wrenches like any gear head, I had to decide if I wanted to become a better racer or a better mechanic. With arrive and drive, you can concentrate on the fun part - time in the car.

The only detractor is the cost. But when you consider how much you will need to buy to support your car plus all the time and money spent dragging it to/from the track, loading/unloading, prep, maintenance, etc., the cost may not seem that bad. When you throw in all the stuff you don’t even know you don’t know about with regards to setting up and maintaining one of these cars, the arrive and drive starts looking better and better.

Something to think about.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:27 AM
zracer196
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks all for the advice. From the last post it looks like I should sell it before it gets here. LOL.

I bought it to do track days af this point. Maybe a few a year at this point. I do like to do my own work as well. Of course to a point. I know my Z06 is no Porsche, but I was able to easily handle all basic maintenance items, change the brake pads and rotors, all fluids, shifter replacement, etc. This car is really that complex that I can’t do the same? I roadraced motorcycles for 12 years. Then dirt bikes. Even rebuilt those motors. Always did my own wrenching, hauling, etc.

I really don’t expect to become the next star driver out there. This car is meant to have fun with. Just in a special car. And a much safer car on the track than the street prepped Z06.

I get the maintenance costs are higher. Much higher. But I didn’t think I was buying something that I couldn’t work on. I also know I need to bring the basics with me. But why do I need a full blown semi to deal with it at a track day? I can’t go with fresh tires, fluids, etc. and bring the basic hand tools, tire gauge, fluids, etc.? I did this with the Z06 regularly without issue. Even drove the car to those single track days.

Thanks again for the advice. Fingers crossed I didn’t make a mistake. And if I did I’ll sell it. You only live once and life is short!
Old 11-27-2018, 08:39 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by kgorman
I created a thread about this and other details around self supporting a while back (https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...upporting.html).

Winch is mandatory. I have a pit cart I wheel around with nitrogen and supporting tools and spares. It all works fine, but it’s not like I am at the track every day so YMMV. I have a heavy steel trailer and it sux. I think it’s easier to remove the bumper than the splitter. But you won’t want to do that anyway. I use open because I can keep it at my house.
Excellent thread you quoted above for somebody looking to self-support one of these cars given their complexity. I've been toying with getting a 997 Cup for some time but the cost to race these cars successfully is pretty staggering.

Originally Posted by zracer196
Thanks all for the advice. From the last post it looks like I should sell it before it gets here. LOL.

I bought it to do track days af this point. Maybe a few a year at this point. I do like to do my own work as well. Of course to a point. I know my Z06 is no Porsche, but I was able to easily handle all basic maintenance items, change the brake pads and rotors, all fluids, shifter replacement, etc. This car is really that complex that I can’t do the same? I roadraced motorcycles for 12 years. Then dirt bikes. Even rebuilt those motors. Always did my own wrenching, hauling, etc.

I really don’t expect to become the next star driver out there. This car is meant to have fun with. Just in a special car. And a much safer car on the track than the street prepped Z06.

I get the maintenance costs are higher. Much higher. But I didn’t think I was buying something that I couldn’t work on. I also know I need to bring the basics with me. But why do I need a full blown semi to deal with it at a track day? I can’t go with fresh tires, fluids, etc. and bring the basic hand tools, tire gauge, fluids, etc.? I did this with the Z06 regularly without issue. Even drove the car to those single track days.
Click on the thread quoted above and you get an excellent picture of what is required to self-support one of these cars at the track. The requirements go way beyond the basic hand tools and fluids and you will find that buying the car was the cheapest part. Why don't you go over the car with NOLA Sport and make a detailed list of everything you will need to buy and learn to support it yourself? Look at that list before you decide to go with an open or enclosed trailer or leave the car with a shop for arrive and drive.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:53 AM
zracer196
Racer

Again thanks for the replies. I did read that thread and nothing about it made me nervous. Most of that thread dealt with using the air jacks. Is this the only way to get the car off the ground? Not that it looks very complicated but can you not just use an old fashion floor jack (I have a high quality low profile model) with jackstands? Maybe not the "cool" way to lift it! LOL!

Again there was nothing in that thread that made me nervous. Verifying the wheels are in good condition / at the proper torque specs, trailer it properly, etc. In regards to the trailer, I have also spoken to many who use an open trailer without issue. Please note that I am not doing a racing season here. Just looking to drive an incredible, safe car (more so than my street 2017 Z06 that I track) a few times a year on the track. Nothing more at this time. Of course if an addiction starts that may change. But my wallet has to follow and I understand that.

I am picking the car up at NolaSport . They are spending time with me and that will include getting me acclimated to the car, learning the car, driving the car, etc. Jon the owner knows my intentions and actually encouraged me on this purchase. Told me there are many guys that are doing just what I am doing. And there was no need for full team / track support just to do a handful of track days a year.

Again life is short. I am excited to experience this car on a track. Hopefully it comes close to being as thrilling as the many years I spent motorcycle racing. I’m sure it will!!

If it is too much to deal with I’ll sell it.

Last edited by zracer196; 11-27-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:21 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Scratching the itch with a 997 cup is going to be a great high! You will get a big smile.

NOLAsport are good guys... John will tell you the real deal on what you should do to operate it in a few D.E events.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:59 AM
DarrellT
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don’t be nervous just be informed. I have used the low profile jack too but the air jacks are easier. I do much of my Own work depending on my time. Nothing is too complicated and the German approach is very logical. No big hammers to align it, just get the right tools. On my 944’s I bought the factory tool to do the timing and balance shaft belts and it was cake. $650 for the right tool saved $1000’s . No way do you need the big semi truck, but enclosed trailers just make it easier.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:34 AM
zracer196
Racer

Thanks all...I think I am in good hands with NolaSport...I am excited to go up there next week, learn about the car from Jon, drive it, etc.

I have started compiling some of the items I need...But I am diving in!! Again...No stress at this point as I am not racing the car, etc. Just will be doing some fun track days...Learn how to properly drive it, maintain it, etc.

Thanks again for all of the comments!!!
Old 11-28-2018, 10:05 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Post back after the first day... it’s a total “holy ****” moment after the first few sessions... “oh oh oooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh”
Old 11-28-2018, 01:32 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 144 Posts

Frank-"I've been toying with getting a 997 Cup for some time but the cost to race these cars successfully is pretty staggering."

I have run my 996Cup for not that much more then it used to cost me to run a 944turbo excluding the tires-
Old 11-28-2018, 02:15 PM
zracer196
Racer

Originally Posted by Steve113
Frank-"I've been toying with getting a 997 Cup for some time but the cost to race these cars successfully is pretty staggering."

I have run my 996Cup for not that much more then it used to cost me to run a 944turbo excluding the tires-
Love to see these posts!!! Makes me feel better...In the end it's a car with four wheels and requires petrol to run (albeit race gas). It is not the space shuttle!!

And we know many people who cannot (or don't want to) change a tire on their street car!! These guys NEED full time support.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:19 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts

Love to see these posts!!! Makes me feel better...In the end it's a car with four wheels and requires petrol to run (albeit race gas). It is not the space shuttle!!

And we know many people who cannot (or don't want to) change a tire on their street car!! These guys NEED full time support.
Report back the first time that Motec ADL2 logger/dash starts giving warnings and let us know if its still just a 'car with four wheels' - not trying to be an a**, but I remember thinking the same thing as you are and when that "holy s***" moment hit it was expensive. There is a huge wealth of knowledge here on RL (and I exclude myself from that), and Cups are a blast but its not just a car that looks like a race car - it is a race car that brings the baggage that comes with such. There is a reason everyone is saying the majority are supported by people who know these inside and out.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:22 PM
zracer196
Racer

Originally Posted by redmonkey928
Report back the first time that Motec ADL2 logger/dash starts giving warnings and let us know if its still just a 'car with four wheels' - not trying to be an a**, but I remember thinking the same thing as you are and when that "holy s***" moment hit it was expensive. There is a huge wealth of knowledge here on RL (and I exclude myself from that), and Cups are a blast but its not just a car that looks like a race car - it is a race car that brings the baggage that comes with such. There is a reason everyone is saying the majority are supported by people who know these inside and out.
I do realize this is not a car from the 70's before computers...LOL...Even my 2017 Z06 popped a code and went into limp mode on the track...But that was not anything that deterred me from solving the issue and getting back out there.

And I respect that it will take money to run. I was just hoping a mere mortal like myself could have some fun with it.

That said...I will educate myself, continue to use this forum (and it's members) for all of the great knowledge it provides, etc. At the same time I am excited to jump into this!!!
Old 11-28-2018, 05:00 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts

I do realize this is not a car from the 70's before computers...LOL...Even my 2017 Z06 popped a code and went into limp mode on the track...But that was not anything that deterred me from solving the issue and getting back out there.

And I respect that it will take money to run. I was just hoping a mere mortal like myself could have some fun with it.

That said...I will educate myself, continue to use this forum (and it's members) for all of the great knowledge it provides, etc. At the same time I am excited to jump into this!!!
I'm sure we will all vouch for the fact you will indefinitely have a smile on your face when you take it out the first time! Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Cup Newbie. Open trailer options??