Sponsored by:

Installing Recaro P1300 in 997

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 04:35 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Yes that is your car, the folks taking care of it were kind enough to let me have a seat. Hopefully i just didn't get someone in trouble. what a beautiful machine and I want one of these now.
Ha...no problem at all. I just saw the blue of the PCA Cup in the background and thought "is that...?"
Old 10-15-2018, 12:36 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

For those that have this in their 997 cup, can you post a picture that shows how close seat is to tunnel side , and one that shows how close upper part of seat is to b-pillar and door opening.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:25 AM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For those that have this in their 997 cup, can you post a picture that shows how close seat is to tunnel side , and one that shows how close upper part of seat is to b-pillar and door opening.
Here are a couple of pictures taken right after they installed the seat in my car. The seat fits like it was made for this application. No problems with the tunnel or the door/window/B pillar. You can put your fist between the halo and
the window. The second picture shows the seat all the way back.

FWIW, great seat. Way more rigid the than the OE OMP. Also, safer and more comfortable. Good choice:

Old 10-17-2018, 01:22 AM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dogger15
Here are a couple of pictures taken right after they installed the seat in my car. The seat fits like it was made for this application. No problems with the tunnel or the door/window/B pillar. You can put your fist between the halo and
the window. The second picture shows the seat all the way back.

FWIW, great seat. Way more rigid the than the OE OMP. Also, safer and more comfortable. Good choice:
Thank you for this. How much space is there between side of the seat and the tunnel?
Old 10-17-2018, 11:25 AM
dogger15
Racer

Thank you for this. How much space is there between side of the seat and the tunnel?
Seat to tunnel is pretty tight, maybe an inch of space. Here's a picture that gives you some idea. Seat/tunnel spacing wasn't the subject of the picture but if you look at the foam wrap, it's about 1 1/2" in diameter. It's wedged between the shifter controller that extends to 1/2" from the edge of the tunnel and the side of the seat where it flares out a bit.

Since you are talking about installing in a finished interior, I think your best course would be to measure the width of your tunnel and compare that number to the width of a cup tunnel. If the difference is around 2" (1" on either side), you're in business. Unfortunately, I don't know the width of the tunnel and the car is not kept at my place for me to go out and measure, so maybe somebody that has a cup handy can chime in with that number:

Old 06-05-2020, 12:34 PM
THJR
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm thinking of tossing one of these into my 997 Cup and am 6'3" and maybe about 6'4" or more with the helmet on.

-bmwtye did that seat feel snug at all near the shoulders/arms or upper torso area? I actaully stopped lifting so I would fit into the cars better lol.

-dogger15 when you show that second picture of the seat all the way back is it equvilent to putting say an OMP HTE XL or Recaro ProRacer XL all the way back?
forwhatever its worth I can stuff myself into the Pro Racer XL and be comfortable for an hour or two pushing hard but the biggest problem is head clearance.... I can never get low enough it seems short of have the actualy seat basically touching the floor/hard mounted.
Going up the esses at watkins glen for example, I sometimes have to almost lower my head down to look 'up' the hill if that makes sense. If I have my seat on the standard recaro sliders and mounts going through the bus stop can sometimes 'ring the bell'.

Sorry for bumping an old thread but rather than make a new one figured I'd just ask here.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:32 PM
dogger15
Racer

Originally Posted by THJR
I'm thinking of tossing one of these into my 997 Cup and am 6'3" and maybe about 6'4" or more with the helmet on.

-bmwtye did that seat feel snug at all near the shoulders/arms or upper torso area? I actaully stopped lifting so I would fit into the cars better lol.

-dogger15 when you show that second picture of the seat all the way back is it equvilent to putting say an OMP HTE XL or Recaro ProRacer XL all the way back?
forwhatever its worth I can stuff myself into the Pro Racer XL and be comfortable for an hour or two pushing hard but the biggest problem is head clearance.... I can never get low enough it seems short of have the actualy seat basically touching the floor/hard mounted.
Going up the esses at watkins glen for example, I sometimes have to almost lower my head down to look 'up' the hill if that makes sense. If I have my seat on the standard recaro sliders and mounts going through the bus stop can sometimes 'ring the bell'.

Sorry for bumping an old thread but rather than make a new one figured I'd just ask here.
Pretty much the same position as the OE Cup OMP. Keep in mind, the seat can be ordered with the large pad kit (to replace the standard medium kit), to accommodate larger drivers. As for the height, I’m 6’1” and there is around 6 - 7” clearance above my helmet. This seat can be hard mounted to buy some additional clearance but it would be a shame not to be able to use the excellent adjustable mount. I guess one way to cover your bet is to just order the seat and fixed mount. Install this and check the head room. If there is an ample amount, you can order the adjustable mount.

Old 06-05-2020, 04:04 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by THJR

Yes it was snug for me at the shoulders/arm area, it was actually still pushing into me in those areas but it wasn't uncomfortable and was the best fitting of all the seats I tried. All the extra pads were removed when I sat in the seat.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:01 PM
THJR
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Awesome! Thank you for the feedback guys... Im gonna give it a shot and see how it fits.

Old 04-06-2024, 05:32 PM
nle
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

Bumping an old thread. What was the verdict on P1300s fitting into a full interior 997? Was it possible to clear the door and center console?

Old 04-09-2024, 03:26 AM
Hwyranger
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Per dogger15, this seat is doable in a 997 chassis. I’m going with this seat myself.
Old 04-09-2024, 12:45 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 410 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Hwyranger
Per dogger15, this seat is doable in a 997 chassis. I’m going with this seat myself.
Are you running the 997 specific RECARO rails? or do you have the metal side mounts and going straight to the floor?

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 02 https://bit.ly/49A6n4M

Quick Reply: Installing Recaro P1300 in 997