Notices
Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Lexan rear vented quarter windows - easy to remove?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 01:55 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lexan rear vented quarter windows - easy to remove?

I was wondering if the factory rear quarter windows on cup cars (997.543.112.90/PC) are fairly easy to get in and out. I would like to replace the glass quarters in my 997 GS car with something that I can pull more easily when I need access to rear suspension etc.

Thanks in advance!

- Blaine
Old 08-20-2018, 02:12 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts

Literally pop them out at any point - three round ends on the back side of the window that just press into rubber gaskets on the car. You'll be amazed how easy they are to remove and install.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:24 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually when you see how easy they come out, you will be afraid they will come out on you sometime. They wont. But boy does it make getting into the back of the thing easy. Changing suspension settings and removing rear shock is now stupid simple.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:25 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Awesome - thanks for the feedback.

If anybody knows of used/spares people want to sell please let me know before I order from PMNA (not inexpensive parts but not unexpected price either).

- Blaine
Old 08-20-2018, 05:31 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

You are better off going new as these scratch easily. Another source I've found is plastics4performance.com

They have different thickness as well as color options as well as hardcoating to prevent scratches.

If you have street doors and glass I'd measure thickness so you can order a thickness to match So it's uniform still.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:16 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Thanks bmwtye - I'm only looking for the rear quarter windows that can be easily removed which is why I was looking at the cup parts. Plastics4performance would definitely be the less expensive option for non-removable for sure.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:54 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaine S
Thanks bmwtye - I'm only looking for the rear quarter windows that can be easily removed which is why I was looking at the cup parts. Plastics4performance would definitely be the less expensive option for non-removable for sure.
They have those with vents and without vents. I've talked to them about it and they install and remove just like the cup ones.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:58 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Great - thanks for the clarification. I'll reach out to them.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:54 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by redmonkey928
Literally pop them out at any point - three round ends on the back side of the window that just press into rubber gaskets on the car. You'll be amazed how easy they are to remove and install.
Exactly. Had me wondering if this was all gonna stay together next time I threw the car into T1

Be careful when you slide out / reinstall the window tho. While the rear part's secured by that half-screw going into a rubber grommet, the front has a metal tongue that slides into a bracket on the tub's B-pillar. Slide window towards the back of the car to remove. Don't yank it away from the tub... that metal tongue is *barely glued* to the underside of your lexan quarter-window... snap/break that and you'll have to resort to epoxy glue... wonder how I know huh...
Old 08-21-2018, 10:47 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaine S
Great - thanks for the clarification. I'll reach out to them.
Let us know what thickness you get and whether or not you got the hard coated.... I'm curious about this as well for no other reason than the suspension adjustment ease if its really that easy to pop the side window out.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:28 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the tip CRex - we all learn from our...well...mistakes :-)

Blue Chip - will do. I am going to post a WTB for the Porsche quarters to see if anybody has a pair collecting dust. If not I"ll go with tye's recommendation.

Quick Reply: Lexan rear vented quarter windows - easy to remove?