WTB 996 CUP SHIFTER

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 09:16 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
Trust me when I tell you get the Function First . They sell you the whole set up. Its the Cup car shifting mechanism with better bushings/ bearings. Looks identical
It just make finding gears so much more precise.
As in they sell the shifter unit as a whole? I bought one of their rebuild kits a couple of years ago and cannot find it. Wouldn’t mind a spare shifter mechanism so I can put my cup unit on the shelf.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:23 PM
K1-GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Numeric Racing
The Numeric Shifter is not Garbage or a POS. I have many many satisfied customers. I hold extremely tight tolerances and all the action is on bearings. It is a Patented design. The housing is all billet aluminum and simply does not flex. I also use all Stainless steel hardware. You also have 3 different positions for shifter throw. There have been updates over the years to improve it. Specifically the bearings and shift lever. Years ago before I made the Numeric I tried to make a cheaper alternative to work with the 996 cup shifter and stock shifters. Once I felt the action on it I simply couldn't bring myself to manufacture it let alone sell it. The only difference between a 996 cup and stock is they use aluminum bushings rather than plastic and the throw is slightly shorter. My calculations about 15%. The tolerances are a lot looser and over time will become sloppy. Simply push and pull on your stock plastic shifter with some force and you will see how it flexes. I've thrown quite a few 996 Cup shifters and Stock shifters that I have taken out of customers cars and threw them in the trash.

you mean the throw on the stock 996 Gt3 is slightly shorter or the cup is shorter?

and personally haven’t tried numeric. But if I can’t find a brand new to slightly used cup shifter and am displeased with my 997 shifter (which I love in my dads 997.2 GT3) then I will look to numeric. I simply can’t speak on numeric I haven’t tried them. But all my buddies who have tried both prefer cup. Honestly it seems about split to me. Half telling me cup and half telling me numeric or BM or w.e. Else... so there’s gotta be something there. Just personal preference...
until I try for myself this will all just be hot air.
But appreciate the input! Enjoy your 3 day weekend friend!

CheerS
Old 09-01-2018, 10:30 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I think that you must be careful with any short shifter on 996 or 997 GT3's, it can be very notchy, read rifle action, and not to everyone's taste. They are fine on regular cars.

I've had the CAE shifter on a GT3 and now on a Spec Cayman and love it, but again, not everybody's cup of tea.

I had CAE cables until a few weeks ago, when I broke one; a fellow racer had a spare set of Numeric cables to get me back up and going. I can't speak to the Numeric shifter, but the cables are pretty great. Well built, beefy, and no nonsense.

I emailed CAE about the break, and they blamed it on rigging, which I don't buy; there is no real rigging involved. I have since tried to find out from them if I could buy a single cable to replace the broken one, but radio silence. It'll be Numeric cables for me from now on.

Oh, and I do have a spare cup shifter, but can't get myself to sell it, lol. sorry.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:50 PM
K1-GT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FFaust
I think that you must be careful with any short shifter on 996 or 997 GT3's, it can be very notchy, read rifle action, and not to everyone's taste. They are fine on regular cars.

I've had the CAE shifter on a GT3 and now on a Spec Cayman and love it, but again, not everybody's cup of tea.

I had CAE cables until a few weeks ago, when I broke one; a fellow racer had a spare set of Numeric cables to get me back up and going. I can't speak to the Numeric shifter, but the cables are pretty great. Well built, beefy, and no nonsense.

I emailed CAE about the break, and they blamed it on rigging, which I don't buy; there is no real rigging involved. I have since tried to find out from them if I could buy a single cable to replace the broken one, but radio silence. It'll be Numeric cables for me from now on.

Oh, and I do have a spare cup shifter, but can't get myself to sell it, lol. sorry.
then why even mention it? Haha Smh...
Old 09-01-2018, 03:54 PM
K1-GT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by K1-GT3

then why even mention it? Haha Smh...
well since you did mention it - If you do decide to sell it please give me a ring I’m trying to find a new one. 925 four05 two229

cheers!
Old 09-02-2018, 09:13 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Bauerjab

Originally Posted by bauerjab
^^^What Ron and Steve said
Thats the kindest words you have ever said to or about me !
Thank you!
Old 09-02-2018, 09:23 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

I had a Numeric briefly.Looks really cool .But it is not GTC3 legal.
But I really love the function first.
The single best thing you can do to a 996 cup.
Richard Westbrook raced a 6 cup in the UK Supercup. When we were chatting his strongest memory was crappy shifter!
Old 09-05-2018, 11:04 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

Ron made me buy one after he was tired of seeing me miss shifts on the start . I must admit he was right
Old 09-05-2018, 11:22 AM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy

You can lead a horse to water.... No matter what we say, people here still want the crappy stock cup shifter.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:51 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One more vote for function first.IT IS A CUP(996) SHIFTER with upgraded bearing. Nothing better. Tried Numeric, very pretty, not gtc3 legal and has nose bearing issues even with the better bearing, I tossed mine.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:46 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Those with the FF shifter, are you upgrading your cup shifter with the FF kit or simply adding a whole new shifter already upgraded? I wonder if there is any difference between the cup shifter and a regular 996 shifter other than the bushings? If not it may be best to upgrade a non cup shifter and keep the unicorn cup shifter for a rainy day? I regret selling my new spare cup shifter last year!
Old 09-06-2018, 11:57 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by spiller
Those with the FF shifter, are you upgrading your cup shifter with the FF kit or simply adding a whole new shifter already upgraded? I wonder if there is any difference between the cup shifter and a regular 996 shifter other than the bushings? If not it may be best to upgrade a non cup shifter and keep the unicorn cup shifter for a rainy day? I regret selling my new spare cup shifter last year!

Unicorn Shifter. LOL.Many of the parts of a 996 cup are 996 GT3 parts with some exceptions. I seriously doubt there is any difference between the street part and the cup part, and I would venture to say that they are identical but with different part numbers. Just buy the complete FFS and drop it in. I sold my unicorn shift to one of you nuts.

Last edited by fstockcarrera; 09-06-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:43 PM
haulinkraut
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
Unicorn Shifter. LOL. Most of the parts of a 996 cup are 996 GT3 parts with some exceptions. I seriously doubt there is any difference between the street part and the cup part, and I would venture to say that they are identical but with different part numbers. Just buy the complete FFS and drop it in. I sold my unicorn shift to one of you nuts.
In fact I believe the 996 GT3 is just a carrera shifter. For best shift lengths and smoothness I would suggest the 997 FF shifter. Slightly shorter than the 996 but not at all notchy. The closest comparison I have found to a cup shifter is installing B&M shift kit bushings on a stock shifter. Both are metal bushing cups with nylon bushings inside. Honestly your best bet is the function first. Keep the stock shifters parts for collectable value with the car and that is it.
Attached Images  

Last edited by haulinkraut; 09-06-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:31 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, it was my thinking that 996 cup/gt3/carrera were one and the same apart from some internals on the cup but read in this very thread that the cup shifter had a slightly short throw (which i don't believe).

haulinkraut, are you saying 997 shifter with FF is less notchy than 996 shifter with FF? I realise slightly shorter throw (I like the long throw, makes fee like i'm workin hard!).
Old 09-07-2018, 01:00 AM
haulinkraut
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller
Thanks guys, it was my thinking that 996 cup/gt3/carrera were one and the same apart from some internals on the cup but read in this very thread that the cup shifter had a slightly short throw (which i don't believe).

haulinkraut, are you saying 997 shifter with FF is less notchy than 996 shifter with FF? I realise slightly shorter throw (I like the long throw, makes fee like i'm workin hard!).
The cup shift throw is shorter due to the shorter shift levers on the transmission versus the carrera. The shift lever in the console itself is the same length.

The 997 shifter is a shorter throw than the 996. It is not notchy at all compared to actual short shifters. Not sure how 997 FF compares to the 996 FF as far as notchiness goes. I am just saying the 997 isn't notchy for a shorter shifter.

Quick Reply: WTB 996 CUP SHIFTER