Notices
Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Purchasing new 991.2 Cup - Advice?

Old 07-30-2018, 12:58 PM
Stephen Ayers
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Purchasing new 991.2 Cup - Advice?

I’m about to take the leap and order a new 991.2 Cup from PMNA. Looking for any advice on the purchase process, options (heard there are none), and setup suggestions. I’m currently racing BMW CCA and track a 991.1 GT3RS. Located in Northern California. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2018, 02:12 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

You planning to run the car yourself or use a local race shop? There's great local options and they'll be able to help you with all those things... just a thought.

-mike
Old 07-30-2018, 02:59 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Your world is about to be turned upside down. The Gen II cars have even more power than the Gen 1s which are AMAZING..... Are you planning any pro things like IMSA GT3 or Pirelli? You getting ABS? Read a lot of the posts here as they still apply to your GenII. This is a much different car in every way from what Porsche has produced before. Make sure your shop is up to the task AND HAS THE EXPERIENCE. Dont let them learn on your car. Also get ready and start learning Cosworth....
Old 07-30-2018, 03:29 PM
Stephen Ayers
Advanced

My desire is to start with PCA club then work towards Pirelli. Yes, will work with a team. Understand these aren’t a 2-man-in-a-garage cars.

Now the challenge is the series requirements from PMNA. To get a standard Cup car they want a commitment is a series. Which is my eventually destination. For PCA level they are pushing the PCA version of the car which looks awesome, has ABS, etc. But does not qualify for IMSA or PWC...

So I can buy the PCA version and be stuck at the club level or buy the standard cup and be thrown in the deep end of the pool.

Not sure what PMNA is thinking offering a more expensive Club car (with expensive carbon fenders and doors). But I do like the blue paint :-)
Old 07-30-2018, 05:28 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

What team are you working with? They should be able to sort all this out. The same chassis will work in any of the 3 series (IMSA GT3 Cup, Pirelli Drivers Cup or PCA), there's only slightly different parts on the car that are permitted in some and not the other (like ABS). The shop should know all this and be able to work with PMNA to get you the chassis without any problem.

I've had lots of experience and success with Jerry Wood Enterprises in Campbell and Flying Lizard up at Sonoma. They'd be handling all this stuff so you don't have to sweat about it or read the rule books to learn the finer details of each individual series.

-mike
Old 07-30-2018, 05:38 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Do not get anything other than a full Pro car. You will regret it when you go to sell it. So hit the deep end with IMSA or Pirelli if you have the $$$(minor detail). If you are a good driver you will be at least in the pack. Cool to see yourself on TV. Get practice at PCA events. LOTS of the teams do this. More than half the 991 cups are running in Pro series.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:57 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I looked at that car a few weeks ago, and I don't think its a good foray into SRO or PCA.

As of now, it doesnt have a PCA home, and being "limited" you will have no one to race. Not to mention, the carbon bits are not going to be cheap....
Old 07-30-2018, 09:06 PM
Red Bear
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone know the difference between the PCA 991.2 Cup and the IMSA 991.2 Cup besides the double bubble carbon fiber roof and fenders?
Old 07-30-2018, 09:38 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Ayers
My desire is to start with PCA club then work towards Pirelli. Yes, will work with a team. Understand these aren’t a 2-man-in-a-garage cars.

Now the challenge is the series requirements from PMNA. To get a standard Cup car they want a commitment is a series. Which is my eventually destination. For PCA level they are pushing the PCA version of the car which looks awesome, has ABS, etc. But does not qualify for IMSA or PWC...

So I can buy the PCA version and be stuck at the club level or buy the standard cup and be thrown in the deep end of the pool.

Not sure what PMNA is thinking offering a more expensive Club car (with expensive carbon fenders and doors). But I do like the blue paint :-)
Just be aware that current PCA rules don't allow the PCA Edition Cup to run in the spec Cup class (GTC7). Confused? You should be. Normally PCA follows the spec that IMSA uses for GT3 Challenge but this year IMSA allowed the use of ABS for drivers running Masters class in GT3 Challenge however PCA didn't follow suit. A number of us have petitioned PCA to allow ABS in the spec class as it makes for safer and ultimately less expensive racing, but so far they've denied the rule change. I think PCA is being short-sighted because it pushes Cup owners running ABS to explore other series, plus PCA should support anything that reduces costs and reduces the risk of contact.

If it were me and the goal was ultimately IMSA or PWC I would get a standard Gen II Cup, add ABS, and deal with running non-spec PCA class until they change the rule.

Last edited by Nizer; 07-30-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:28 PM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pro car would be the way to go. I wouldn’t be too concerned with PCA classification if a pro series is your goal. Depending on your skill level, I would highly recommend a coach and a solid team to look after the car.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:33 PM
alonge
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2017 .2 cup for sale if you are interested, PMNA will not sell you a car unless you are comitted to a series. I am more than happy to answer any questions or help you out in any way possible, just shoot me a DM!
Old 07-31-2018, 03:13 AM
Stephen Ayers
Advanced

Yes, Confused :-)

Heard rumors that the PCA version will be limited to 10-20 cars. So there won’t be a big field at PCA races.

I had a local team with a buying history with PMNA try to get a standard Cup without a full series commitment. PMNA didn’t budge.

Might be possible to get the PCA version and later convert fenders and doors to standard Cup to run in PWC. An expensive route...

Originally Posted by Nizer
Just be aware that current PCA rules don't allow the PCA Edition Cup to run in the spec Cup class (GTC7). Confused? You should be. Normally PCA follows the spec that IMSA uses for GT3 Challenge but this year IMSA allowed the use of ABS for drivers running Masters class in GT3 Challenge however PCA didn't follow suit. A number of us have petitioned PCA to allow ABS in the spec class as it makes for safer and ultimately less expensive racing, but so far they've denied the rule change. I think PCA is being short-sighted because it pushes Cup owners running ABS to explore other series, plus PCA should support anything that reduces costs and reduces the risk of contact.

If it were me and the goal was ultimately IMSA or PWC I would get a standard Gen II Cup, add ABS, and deal with running non-spec PCA class until they change the rule.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:21 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Ayers
Yes, Confused :-)

Heard rumors that the PCA version will be limited to 10-20 cars. So there won’t be a big field at PCA races.

I had a local team with a buying history with PMNA try to get a standard Cup without a full series commitment. PMNA didn’t budge.

Might be possible to get the PCA version and later convert fenders and doors to standard Cup to run in PWC. An expensive route...

Stephen, happy to help in anyway possible......
Have you considered the Pirelli Trophy West USA? This is a west coast based series that we have developed many drivers through on their way to PWC/IMSA?
Tracks are west coast based and there are plenty of 991.2 Cups to compete against, most of them AM drivers, except for a few very experienced drivers.
Here is the website: http://www.competentmotorsport.com/

My email is James@gmgracing.com if you need anything else or have any other questions.

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 08-01-2018, 03:05 AM
Stephen Ayers
Advanced

Thanks all for the info and advice! Based on feedback I decided to commit to the Pirelli Cup West and order a new 991.2 from PMNA. Car should arrive in September! Now lots to learn— Can’t wait!
Old 08-01-2018, 09:50 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Your making a good choice.... Post pics from the events...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Purchasing new 991.2 Cup - Advice?