FS: Penske 4-way adjustable, remote reservoir dampers for 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 08:43 PM
MirageJHU
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default FS: Penske 4-way adjustable, remote reservoir dampers for 997.2

Hi RL,

Finally got a moment from a hectic work schedule to post the best dampers for your 997.2 for sale. My cup car is gone, most spares are gone, these are left in a box so it's time to let these unicorns run free.

I'm asking $6500 for all 4 dampers, they are valved for stock 997.2 springs and as you can see springs are NOT included. I am into these shocks for well over 2x the price I'm asking. The shock builder cribbed this set up from pro & factory teams, so this is a set quite unlike an off the shelf set of Penskes. In other words, some pro drivers and teams spent a lot of time (and $$$) to get these developed to what they are.

The dampers have 2 race weekends on them since their most recent rebuild, done by the original shock builder. I'll put you in touch with the shock builder to get the dyno etc when you buy them. He's a busy guy who can be hard to get on the phone, he's based in LA.

I've driven the car on stock dampers, JRZ's and these. These are far and away the best way to get the ultimate lap time out of your Cup car. They are leagues above the JRZ's. I know these are not GTC-5 legal, but you can use them in GTA classes, or Pirelli GT3 Cup West and some other series as well. You will need to have an engineer and/or a pro driver to help you get the most out of the seemingly infinite adjustability these bring to the car. With these on the car it feels like you're driving a completely different car that is SO much more composed and manageable over bumps.

Please do not ask me if what other models they will fit, I don't know that.
Email is the fastest way to reach me, my first name @ gmail.com (my name is in my signature). I do get forum PM's and obviously posts on this thread as well.

Thanks for looking, happy racing.

Damper and remote reservoir

close up of rear reservoirs

the rest of the dampers
Old 07-26-2018, 10:46 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Pm sent
Old 07-27-2018, 06:02 PM
VID997
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Tye, you will need CUP rear wheel carriers for these to fit on your car. The rear shock mounting points are different for CUPs vs Street.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:17 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by VID997
Tye, you will need CUP rear wheel carriers for these to fit on your car. The rear shock mounting points are different for CUPs vs Street.
Thanks, yes fully aware of that. My setup guy has made adapters to actually convert rear cup shocks to work on street carriers. So what I'm working on figuring out now is if the valving will work on my car

Last edited by bmwtye; 07-27-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:38 PM
MirageJHU
Racer

Realized it's worth pointing out that all the Staubli quick disconnects were replaced when I first rebuilt them, no leaks anywhere.
The hoses and lines are set up so that you can run the lines without drilling holes in the body of the Cup car (which is a requirement per IMSA rules for after market dampers, that almost all sanctioning series have copied.)
Old 07-28-2018, 10:05 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

I ran a set of JRZ cup 3-ways on a 996 C2 and they were awesome. The spacer I made was 1" thick but I would probably go 1.25" or 1.5" next time around. Ride heights were 3.75"/4.25" which geometrically wasn't ideal on paper with the C2 pickup points but felt really good. And FYI, Cup car wheels carriers don't solve the problem. The difference is in the sub frames.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:09 PM
haulinkraut
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
I ran a set of JRZ cup 3-ways on a 996 C2 and they were awesome. The spacer I made was 1" thick but I would probably go 1.25" or 1.5" next time around. Ride heights were 3.75"/4.25" which geometrically wasn't ideal on paper with the C2 pickup points but felt really good. And FYI, Cup car wheels carriers don't solve the problem. The difference is in the sub frames.
I just went through all this.

Subframe differences are minimal on the 996(10mm) due to the solid bushings. Easy fix. These suspensions are just made for lower ride height and less travel with heavy springs. All the subframe differences do relative to suspension is change the control arm pickups relative to the body. Which effects many things but not ride height. The distance between strut towers, spindles and how high the wheel bearing is above the shock attach point are the only factors that change this. And tire height of course.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:50 PM
MirageJHU
Racer

bump
Old 10-05-2018, 02:56 PM
MirageJHU
Racer

TTT still for sale - feel free to make an offer
Old 11-29-2018, 01:22 PM
MirageJHU
Racer

TTT
Old 03-09-2019, 04:05 PM
MirageJHU
Racer

Keep forgetting about these. Still available - make an offer.

Quick Reply: FS: Penske 4-way adjustable, remote reservoir dampers for 997.2