Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

How can a Cup meet a 92 db sound limit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 09:46 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How can a Cup meet a 92 db sound limit?

Searched the forum and didn't find much...just mention of turn down pipes and foam in the intake.

Following on our awesome NE Track Quest of last summer, this year's (version 2.0) road trip takes us to VIR, WGI and then Mt Tremblant. However, we just discovered Tremblant has a 92 db limit. Not sure my bone stock GT4 would meet that... I'm certain the 991.1 Cup I just acquired will not. Another of our group has a 997.1 Cup. Should we cancel Tremblant or are there reasonable ways for Cups to meet this limit?

Appreciate any suggestions.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:37 AM
Stephen Ayers
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I plan on going there at the beginnning of July with an 991 GT3RS. Curious if anyone knows the location of the sound microphone? Perhaps my Laguna pipes and GPS box can be made to work there.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:21 AM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Thanks Steve. We may be talking about the same event... Northeast Region PCA July 6-8? What pipes do you use for Laguna? Not sure I understand the role of the GPS. Helps you pinpoint the location of the noise monitoring equipment so you can tiptoe around it?

It appears Laguna has the same noise limit... how do you guys that run there all the time manage?
Old 03-18-2018, 02:00 PM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Nurburgring package. It should be called the Seca Pack. It supposedly gets you to 90 dB.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:19 PM
MirageJHU
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Depending on where the mic is located you could rig something like this up.

This worked for a 90dB day at Laguna on a 997.2 Cup. Keep in mind weather (cloud coverage etc) introduces variance. One thing on the 90dB day was I had to short shift, the high RPM gear whine also popped sound...

This was put together by Burns Exhaust somewhere in SoCal. I get the feeling that any competent exhaust shop could make something like this happen.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:26 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Ayers
I plan on going there at the beginnning of July with an 991 GT3RS. Curious if anyone knows the location of the sound microphone? Perhaps my Laguna pipes and GPS box can be made to work there.

I have a stripped out 996GT3 with a cup exhaust and open intake and Tremblant is my home track.
I get busted for sound every now and then.
My solution is to come in to pits and add the ugly looking turndowns and then soft pedal my way by the guy with the mic.

There are two mics at the track.
The first along the front straight/tower, but is only measuring longer term average sound levels. No problem here.
The second mic is handled by some guy from the municipality and is measuring punctual sound levels. He's THE GUY you need to watch. He hides in two different locations. Both locations typically areas where you'd be WOT. Left side of track after turn 5 or after turn 6. He is easy to spot because he parks his vehicle by the fence and pins his apparatus on the fence. Use the warm up lap to spot the guy and soft pedal your way through that area.

You should post in the Rennsport section of the forum and get even more guidance from the guys that run there regularly in Cup cars.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:04 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Thanks all. The Nurburgring package looks very expensive... and Annand, the Burns Exhaust looks like a plumber went mad... but, if it allow you to run, so be it! If the guy with the microphone is on the left side of the track as DHI suggested, it appears the Burns set up would have to be reversed. Good news is we've got some time to figure out a solution.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:38 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Not to hijack your thread, but wondering if anyone has modified a clubsport or GT4 for a 90 db day.

What would that look like?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:18 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes the full factory triple muffler setup will quiet the car WAY down.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:54 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by guardsredcab
Thanks all. The Nurburgring package looks very expensive... and Annand, the Burns Exhaust looks like a plumber went mad... but, if it allow you to run, so be it! If the guy with the microphone is on the left side of the track as DHI suggested, it appears the Burns set up would have to be reversed. Good news is we've got some time to figure out a solution.
PMNA can get it for you. ~$4-5k
Old 03-20-2018, 09:56 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you will find if you advertise here you may get some people that have a set. I have a customer now taking a set OFF a new car to them they just got from Europe. They are putting on the standard US single pipe. Let me know if you are interested and I will ask if they want to sell.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:59 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Thanks to Viper Bob, got a line on a Nurburgring package at a reasonable price. Bob's advice was that the package coupled with turn down pipes should pass muster. Shop that has my car says that won't get it there. Quandary!

To further confuse things Burns Exhaust only makes their system for 997s not 991s.

My head hurts!
Old 03-21-2018, 06:27 AM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

My 92 db system.
Greg, you already have this info but it is an opportunity to share it on the Cup car forum.
Here is the discussion on the Rennsport forum about the 92 db at Tremblant.
https://rennlist.com/forums/rennspor...tremblant.html

Old 03-21-2018, 03:27 PM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

I use the Burns 997 at Lime Rock on a 991 cup. It took a little fitting ( not much really)
Looks goofy as hell but it passes the 89 db limit easily
When ordering specify stainless packing
Old 03-21-2018, 07:43 PM
crashtest22
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

this also depends on the track. the 991 that Cyril posted would not pass laguna sound because the booth is drivers right.
that is why the super funky looking one from burns goes left

Same for us though. Race weekends our group is 103db while the early morning and late afternoon are 90 or 92 (because neighbors moved into ear shot of the racetrack).
Also those early and late sessions are Miata groups

Quick Reply: How can a Cup meet a 92 db sound limit?