Notices
Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

ABS now in IMSA platinum masters, how about pca?

Old 03-14-2018, 11:27 AM
trader247
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
we just differ in opinion. i've owned many cup cars and Rs, and caymans with factory and caymans with after-market (teves or bosch ) abs. you could look up my track records and results. lets presume i understand the car, the handling, etc.
i would suggest to you that the GT3rs, all the GT4s, most of the spec series permit and most require ABS. and i doubt that in any spec series that permits abs, that a abs-permitted car would ever not have ABS, thats how much abs can help the car competitively and for all the other reasons (less risk of wrecking, flat spotting, etc.) the IMSA series itself for that Platinium masters class is now requiring it on the cups which is the primary reason i got it.

modern race abs is not anything like street abs, and can be setup at a multitude of levels. the bosch and teves both allow you to tweak and adjust the settings for dry or rain and then even levels within the dry. you can set it up (as i do) so its almost like not having ABS unless of course you. that intermediate driver/speed, when a driver is good in the car, not super fast yet, but getting faster, ...they are biting on chunks of time and improving which is great....but its also when a mistake comes out of nowhere. And when you're a real 10/10ths in the car, it can happen a lot quicker and sooner than you think. and if might happen to the person behind you or in front of you. I think IMSA probably wants to see cleaner racing and its probably worth 1/2 to 3/4 of a second a lap. i know thats a horrible generality to throw out there but im guessing 1/2 at limerock, maybe 3/4 to 1 at Watkins. at sebring withe bumps in the brake zone, maybe a whole lot more. my guess, a full brake marker you can bite off more.

your points about learning without it are super correct. there could be drivers that grow up never knowing heel toe, who arent any good at it, dont know the mastery and art of it. and dont need to. and other than the glory of it, in some cars, not sure they need to know it other than being a complete, well rounded driver. but if you only ever drive current modern cars, paddles is all you need to know to flick.

me, i love the idea of abs, and think if any race group could use it, its some of the pca races where a lot of wrecks happen with cars locking up.
You make several great points and as soon as ABS is allowed in any series I race in I will be all over it. I was really coming from the point of view that it is not allowed in many series and it could be risky to start out driving a Cup with ABS and then drive the car without ABS. That's all. I am a big fan of safety. I have not yet been to a PCA race and didn't realize there were people locking up and sliding in to people. I saw this happen in a POC race and the guy got a 13/13 his second and no more racing. Does PCA have 13/13?
Old 03-14-2018, 12:02 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is Porsche Ruling on ABS in the 991.2 cars. Pretty much as you would expect.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:22 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

And when you're a real 10/10ths in the car, it can happen a lot quicker and sooner than you think. and if might happen to the person behind you or in front of you. I think IMSA probably wants to see cleaner racing and its probably worth 1/2 to 3/4 of a second a lap. i know thats a horrible generality to throw out there but im guessing 1/2 at limerock, maybe 3/4 to 1 at Watkins. at sebring withe bumps in the brake zone, maybe a whole lot more. my guess, a full brake marker you can bite off more.

Please dont tell me that, i would have much more track records in gtb1 lol

If I run gtb1 in 2019, i will get a kit.
2018 budget on mods is way busted already
Old 03-15-2018, 12:24 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Paseb
Please dont tell me that, i would have much more track records in gtb1 lol

If I run gtb1 in 2019, i will get a kit.
2018 budget on mods is way busted already
little things add up. motor and abs probably the two most important. stuff to get you motoring, stuff to get you stopped. i remember having an interseries ITC car and they had done some work, electronically, to improve that the abs programming. i think softronics did that. so maybe reach them and see if you can buy the software upload. it was ok, pretty solid. but the bosch abs in the WC cayman was lights out a big step up. like 997 shifter vs 991 shifting. i had a teves abs in the gt3R, that was the same. just not as adjustable but i never really adjusted it much.
the bosch has a wet/dry switch and a settings dial. nice software for bleeding the system, etc.
the teves seemed more basic, but performance wise was as good. and like 40% cheaper.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:08 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

installed the abs today. started at like 10am, by 2 it was all in hardware wise, another 30minutes to bleed it mechanically (kit had new masters etc). the kit was as simple plug and play , all brackets, hoses, tubes, washers, bolts, and masters. i then loaded the cosworth new dash config which shows the abs state (setting switch position), on the dash, the ecu software loaded, and then the electronic abs bleeding wizard. by 3pm done a to z. looks nice, and is a great kit. expensive but great.
What year is your Cup?
Old 03-27-2018, 11:16 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
What year is your Cup?
2017. the kit worked 1-2-3. not a single issue, no hiccups, no problems.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:27 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

That is good to know... Thanks
Old 03-27-2018, 05:53 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

ABS in club racing would add a significate expense to the car that perhaps not all owners are willing to absorb. Therefore it is left out to be fair to those who do not want the expense.

I expect the 992 Cup to finally come standard with it.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:41 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
ABS in club racing would add a significate expense to the car that perhaps not all owners are willing to absorb. Therefore it is left out to be fair to those who do not want the expense.

While I do agree it is a lot of money, there is very little about a 991.2 that is cheap at the moment. As a % of acquisition and maintenance cost, its not bad. Actually the cost of just a few sets of slicks.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:33 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tcsracing1

i don't dispute the added expense, but id mirror viper's thoughts that cup racing is expensive to begin with. i think imsa is probably a little sick and tired of seeing televised "pro" imsa gt3 cup get muddied up with relatively inexperienced imsa cup drivers locking up taking out others. it looks ridiculous on tv, it wrecks cars, no one enjoys watching a field parade around under yellow as they clean up mess after mess (do watch the WC race from a few weeks ago). And so should PCA. too many races under yellow or red flagged due to silly wrecks, many caused by braking.
and lastly, if PCA wanted to 'save money' for drivers, they'd push harder to get better prices from Pirelli for the slicks. I'm going to run gta3 with the 2017 cup/ABS etc. i purchased Michelins for about 550/set cheaper than the Pirelli gtc spec tire. after maybe 7 races, the savings in tire expense will have paid for the abs more or less.

i would LOVE to see expenses come down. but ive raced cups in pca for many years and anything that could be done to minimize the crashes so drivers can enjoy more green lap running , safely, would be a great thing to do.
i agree...abs will be stock soon enough.
$14k is absurd for abs which is a glorified bosch cup with different programming, a harness, a masters or two, and other stuff.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:09 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran this years IMSA event at Sebring one of the three cars on our team had ABS and two didn't. I didn't see any problems racing with and without. These guys are good!
Old 03-28-2018, 07:14 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
I ran this years IMSA event at Sebring one of the three cars on our team had ABS and two didn't. I didn't see any problems racing with and without. These guys are good!
How did you end up in class and overall for your 1st race ?
Old 03-28-2018, 09:08 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,714 Likes on 910 Posts

i don't dispute the added expense, but id mirror viper's thoughts that cup racing is expensive to begin with. i think imsa is probably a little sick and tired of seeing televised "pro" imsa gt3 cup get muddied up with relatively inexperienced imsa cup drivers locking up taking out others. it looks ridiculous on tv, it wrecks cars, no one enjoys watching a field parade around under yellow as they clean up mess after mess (do watch the WC race from a few weeks ago). And so should PCA. too many races under yellow or red flagged due to silly wrecks, many caused by braking.
and lastly, if PCA wanted to 'save money' for drivers, they'd push harder to get better prices from Pirelli for the slicks. I'm going to run gta3 with the 2017 cup/ABS etc. i purchased Michelins for about 550/set cheaper than the Pirelli gtc spec tire. after maybe 7 races, the savings in tire expense will have paid for the abs more or less.

i would LOVE to see expenses come down. but ive raced cups in pca for many years and anything that could be done to minimize the crashes so drivers can enjoy more green lap running , safely, would be a great thing to do.
i agree...abs will be stock soon enough.
$14k is absurd for abs which is a glorified bosch cup with different programming, a harness, a masters or two, and other stuff.
Agreed. The car itself, let alone ABS, is the least of your costs. If you're worried about ABS dumbing down your skill development just turn it down. I'd welcome the cost savings of ABS, though I'm not sure it'll be enough to stop the IMSA wreck-fest.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:58 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Paseb
How did you end up in class and overall for your 1st race ?

spun out in first race and got 9th

was in 6th in second race and flatted ended up 9th again!

hope to do better at Barber next month

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS now in IMSA platinum masters, how about pca?