Sponsored by:

991 Brake Pad Options

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 01:33 PM
THJR
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 991 Brake Pad Options

Thinking of changing things up this year after running Padig pads for easily 10+ years...

Ran a set of the PFC01 or 011 last year during a race, and compared to the Pagid RST-1 Reds (which were good!), I do prefer the PFC.
I could tell within the first 10min of driving with them.

Someone has suggested I give the Ferodo pads a try and they're even "better"...
Having spent only 1 event on the PFC's and running 10+ DH heat-cycle scrubs all weekend, I likely did not get close to really feeling the pad out.

Also worth noting this is a 991.1 w/ M4 ABS, which I continue to plan running.
I did not like the way the Pagid pads worked with the ABS... the PFC was significantly better in that regard despite the lower initial bite.
When I switched pads the car got brand new rotors as well and both were bedded properly.

Appreciate any feedback!
Old 03-02-2021, 09:37 PM
69911s
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Were you running endurance pads or sprints? I like the DS 3.12 but it heat cycles out way before it wears out in short session driving. Also, I'm finding that my calipers need to be rebuilt more often than I would have guessed and it seems to make a noticeable difference in pedal feel and consistent pad application to the rotors. I have M5 ABS.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:59 AM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

PFC FTW
Old 03-04-2021, 11:11 AM
THJR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 69911s
Were you running endurance pads or sprints? I like the DS 3.12 but it heat cycles out way before it wears out in short session driving. Also, I'm finding that my calipers need to be rebuilt more often than I would have guessed and it seems to make a noticeable difference in pedal feel and consistent pad application to the rotors. I have M5 ABS.
Sprint pads
Ever since using the ABS I've had some very minor issues with pedal feel, but that just may be that Im just used to the feeling of non-ABS cars for the past decade.

Thank you for the info on the Ferodo.
Does the initial bite feel more aggressive than PFC or Pagid of similar compound.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:12 AM
THJR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan Jacobs
PFC FTW
Thanks, Dan!
this makes me think I'll continue with the PFC for a while.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:21 PM
69911s
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

So, if you have been running sprint pads and switch to the Ferodos which are endurance pads you'll be pushing the pistons deeper into the caliper and unless they are unusually clean you may develop a leak (ask me how I know). I like the feel of the Ferodo but it doesn't feel as aggressive as the PFC to me. After I rebuilt the calipers, which is stupidly easy to do pedal feel was noticeably better and has since degraded with no other changes which tells me that I need to rebuild them again. All of this over the course of maybe twenty track days. Demon Speed now has the 991 rebuild kits and I'm sure you can get them from Clarke at Apex.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:57 PM
THJR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 69911s
So, if you have been running sprint pads and switch to the Ferodos which are endurance pads you'll be pushing the pistons deeper into the caliper and unless they are unusually clean you may develop a leak (ask me how I know). I like the feel of the Ferodo but it doesn't feel as aggressive as the PFC to me. After I rebuilt the calipers, which is stupidly easy to do pedal feel was noticeably better and has since degraded with no other changes which tells me that I need to rebuild them again. All of this over the course of maybe twenty track days. Demon Speed now has the 991 rebuild kits and I'm sure you can get them from Clarke at Apex.

Good info 👍
This is added to my list of many things to do!

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2021, 04:54 PM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by THJR
Good info 👍
This is added to my list of many things to do!

Thanks!
Ferrodo are truly an amazing pad. Changed to them based on Clarke's recommendation and never looked back. Great initial bite and easier on rotors.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:39 AM
THJR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SDGT3
Ferrodo are truly an amazing pad. Changed to them based on Clarke's recommendation and never looked back. Great initial bite and easier on rotors.
yes, Clarke mentioned the same thing and said, "there are some really fast guys running them"... and I believe you may be one of the folk he was referring to based off the car description he gave me. haha
Are you running ABS? I want an aggressive initial bite to take advantage of the ABS and then a nice and predictable release for getting out of ABS/trail braking.

Looking like I'll be trying the PFC and Ferodo since they both have been giving lots of praise!

Quick Reply: 991 Brake Pad Options