Question: maintenance of Cup vs. Clubsport

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 12:11 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Obturate
Plus, considering what they're asking for a new Clubsport a used Cup car looks more appealing.
friend has a 2015 cup for sale.
pm for details
Old 01-22-2019, 07:25 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm curious, can you run Hoosiers on the Clubsport for DE events? That would save a bit of money too but not sure if the suspension, etc, is completely calibrated for non-DOT race tires. I understand the car will handle and perform differently with Hoosiers compared to racing slicks.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:39 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by alevine
I'm curious, can you run Hoosiers on the Clubsport for DE events? That would save a bit of money too but not sure if the suspension, etc, is completely calibrated for non-DOT race tires. I understand the car will handle and perform differently with Hoosiers compared to racing slicks.
Not sure why you'd want to spend all that $$$ for a well developed race car designed to be operated with a certain type of rubber and then put inferior rubber on it. I've run Pirelli's and Michelin's way past a dozen heat cycles. Yes,the grip does fall after 5 or so but still fine for open track days when you're not chasing every second.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:40 AM
badbiturbo
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by alevine
Have a '16 Clubsport with MR upgrades available as well if you are interested.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:31 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
Therein lies the truth, especially amateur cars. Engine and gearbox refresh thoughts posted here are generally nonsense...its a stock gt3 engine without variocam...if its got a blipper then the gearbox is usually in good shape. I had 17000km on a stock 07 for example,before blipper install. Ring and pinion is known to flake over time, skinny gears ie,pre 2011.5 cup sequential can also fail. If they've been updated to thick gears...Good to go...overrrevs 10500 and under, usually fine...loads of firsthand experience with loads of cups...I like cups...no safer racecar and no firewall,engine near my spine...Cayman is showing to be a great car however and I would do a factory race Cayman if I went that way.
Originally Posted by Glen
yes, and internals on cup are identical to stock gt3. Cup cams(same as street cams) are just key locked as opposed to variocam due to their wide open throttle time as opposed to the street gt3 needing the variocam for their street throttle needs... I didn't overhaul at 17000 either. Car was sold. It went much farther.
Listen to Glen. He’s forgotten more about Cups than most of us will ever know.

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
Bottom line is all of these cars are expensive to run and theres no cheap way to do it. Keep your check books open
Yup and new entrants tend focus too much on maintenance costs when making decisions.

Your greatest expenses running race car are transport, track support, and consumables, and there’s little variation on these between Cup and CS. Run what you want. Set a budget each season and play till it’s gone, then maybe sell something you care less about and play a bit more, then reset for next season. That’s racing.

Plus, considering what they're asking for a new Clubsport a used Cup car looks more appealing.
And you can find latest Gen 991.2 used whereas used CS is now superseded.

Had a Cayman Clubsport, now looking for a 991.1 Cup. The GT3 Cup just looks like more fun, although getting accustomed to no ABS may be quite a hurdle.
Adding ABS is straightforward and now legal in PCA.

Originally Posted by spg993tt
caymans are lower cost, for sure. its not like $200/hour vs $3000/hour running costs. but its a really good chunk less. the couple most costly items just last longer on the Caymans. the tires, engines and tranmissions. they just last longer, presuming no issues. the new 991.2 cups go 100 hours on the engine and 80ish on the trans which significantly reduces the 991.2 cup costs. but having owned both and written checks for both...yeah, checks you write for a cayman are less than the cup by a reasonable margin.
CS is excellent platform and everything Steve says is true. Just don’t drive a Cup if you decide to go the CS route. 😉
Old 01-25-2019, 10:47 AM
Obturate
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I could be mistaken, but I believe ABS is allowed in PCA on the 991.2s in GTC7, but not the 991.1s in GTC6. I realize there is another catch-all class for modified cars (maybe GTA?).
Old 01-25-2019, 04:43 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spiller

This is interesting. I have heard the internal components between the cup engines and street GT3 differ owing to the shorter intervals on the cup? Street guys are seeing 30-40,000 track miles (small sample size based on these forums only) with as much street mileage on top of that. I was previously fearful of the engine overhauls but it will take me an eternity to reach anywhere near 200 hours in a cup car (i.e. I will never get there!).

Glen, are you saying you went 17,000km on the engine or the gearbox without overhaul?
996CUP 18500km on the engine on my 1st one before selling. God knows how much the next owner put n the engine before opening. I don't think it's uncommon at all.
On the gear box that would be smthg !!!! Half of that at best I would say.
The 3,6 is a marvel. Would not swap that one for a "crappy" street gt4 engine

Over time tyres are the biggest cost like a lot of others here indicate.
So buy the car you prefer but make sure you have the tyre budget. You can run on crappy tyres but once you have experienced fresh rubber...
Old 01-26-2019, 12:01 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince964T
996CUP 18500km on the engine on my 1st one before selling. God knows how much the next owner put n the engine before opening. I don't think it's uncommon at all.
On the gear box that would be smthg !!!! Half of that at best I would say.
The 3,6 is a marvel. Would not swap that one for a "crappy" street gt4 engine

Over time tyres are the biggest cost like a lot of others here indicate.
So buy the car you prefer but make sure you have the tyre budget. You can run on crappy tyres but once you have experienced fresh rubber...
What sort of usage was that? Was it still making good power when you sold it? My engine is on its 2nd rebuild (11,000kms on the car) with about 5000kms/~35 hours on the engine, but it’s not been opened since 2005. Engine does not feel as beefy as my road car 996 GT3 did but road car had 997 TB, IPD plenum, full exhaust/tune and shorter gearing. Cup car is stock standard. Brand new GT4 CS could not keep up with me on the straights. Looks like I may never have to bother with a rebuild at the rate I’m going...250km driven in 2018

I have yet to run on fresh tyres...remaining blissfully ignorant for now
Old 01-26-2019, 10:36 AM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

No ABS allowed with PCA in GTC 4-6 and don't believe in 7 either.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:45 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
No ABS allowed with PCA in GTC 4-6 and don't believe in 7 either.
maybe thy changed it, but about 2,3 months ago they announced gtc7 would allow abs. i believe.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:58 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
maybe thy changed it, but about 2,3 months ago they announced gtc7 would allow abs. i believe.
+1 From the 2019 rule book:
S. GTC7 may use the Porsche motorsport approved ABS.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:27 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spiller

What sort of usage was that? Was it still making good power when you sold it? My engine is on its 2nd rebuild (11,000kms on the car) with about 5000kms/~35 hours on the engine, but it’s not been opened since 2005. Engine does not feel as beefy as my road car 996 GT3 did but road car had 997 TB, IPD plenum, full exhaust/tune and shorter gearing. Cup car is stock standard. Brand new GT4 CS could not keep up with me on the straights. Looks like I may never have to bother with a rebuild at the rate I’m going...250km driven in 2018

I have yet to run on fresh tyres...remaining blissfully ignorant for now

Mostly club racing, The car did a few races in carrera cup Asia then was used as an "event" car then went to club racing. So not 110% !
The engine was on par with other 2003/05s from racing experience. There were 2 cars that clearly were stronger but 1 with a different exhaust and a better driver and the other one I don't know, I still could take him ;-)
Last leak down test 1 of the cylinders was geting close to critical... our mechanic told us we could keep going, we would burn more oil however. His experience was also that the engine would not lose power, may be the opposite.
Heard about cup cars with 80/90 000 kms ! Oil guzzlers but still going after I don't know how many rebuilds...

I waited a long time, till there was no choice actually, before going to new tyres. It's nice, feels like you are so much better If you have the budget you won't regret it, just make those laps count, I keep the new tyres for when it matters, qualif, timeattack finals, race. Practice on what's left !

EDIT - And you need to take her out more

Last edited by Vince964T; 01-26-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:04 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
+1 From the 2019 rule book:
S. GTC7 may use the Porsche motorsport approved ABS.
Not questioning you but I cant find this in the rule book

Just bought a 991.2 in europe and headed this way and planning on putting ABS in it as long as it is gtc7 compliant

dont want to run gta3 with all the gt3Rs out there
Old 02-10-2019, 10:12 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
Not questioning you but I cant find this in the rule book

Just bought a 991.2 in europe and headed this way and planning on putting ABS in it as long as it is gtc7 compliant

dont want to run gta3 with all the gt3Rs out there
NEVERMIND, found it. Cool
Old 02-10-2019, 10:18 PM
Obturate
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I just learned the 991.2 Cups from Carrera Cup Asia already have ABS installed. I think the same may be true for Australia??

Quick Reply: Question: maintenance of Cup vs. Clubsport