Sponsored by:

Question: maintenance of Cup vs. Clubsport

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 08:54 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

From my experience,

Bought a new Clubsport in 2016 and put 3 seasons on it. 9800 miles.
Very easy to live with. No engine or transmission rebuilds during the 3 years. That is significant savings right there over 3 full seasons with a Cup powertrain rebuild schedule.
(The Mezger Cup car has engine and transmission rebuild schedule every 50-100 hours. And rebuilds are expensive with no warranty.)

The Cup car is a faster tool. Therefore it requires more scheduled maintenance given the higher rate of speed. Lap times go down, price goes up.

The Clubsport is an easier car to drive 10/10ths (fun to drive a slow car fast) thanks to ABS, ESC/TC and PDK. Turn all that stuff off and it can be a handful if you are not a clean driver.
The Cup car is harder to drive 10/10ths and has no ABS or TC. The cup car has more tire then the Clubsport but if you are not a seasoned driver you can still spin the car and flatspot the tires under aggressive braking until you get the hang of it.

Clubsport engine and transmission are replacement items. The cost to replace them almost match what it cost to rebuild the Cup engine and transmission.
So if you buy a tired cup or clubsport, the cost to totally refresh them should be not far off each other. the only bonus of Clubsport is how much time you wil get out of it again before powertrain replacement.

Lot of places for older Clubsports and older Cup cars to race. The Cup rebuild costs shouldnt really be a factor more so then the level of driver you are or intend to be. Afterall, what is an extra $35k service cost per season to be in a Cup?
The following users liked this post:
TurboDogue (11-19-2020)
Old 02-12-2019, 06:47 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Obturate
I just learned the 991.2 Cups from Carrera Cup Asia already have ABS installed. I think the same may be true for Australia??
In CC Australia the pro class do not have ABS. If you get an ex amateur car then yes it will have it.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:54 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller

In CC Australia the pro class do not have ABS. If you get an ex amateur car then yes it will have it.
Typically the Senior cars have it or in this case the amateur cars.
Great for Club racing.

IMSA is still seniors only however.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:17 PM
Obturate
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

CRex has corrected me. Apparently, Carrera Cup Asia cars do NOT have ABS.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:43 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Obturate
I just learned the 991.2 Cups from Carrera Cup Asia already have ABS installed. I think the same may be true for Australia??
Carrera Cup Asia cars do NOT have ABS.
Japan has ABS in both Pro and Am classes.
Australia has ABS in Am only but may be changing this season too.

You'll see a WORLD of difference esp. in the wet, when we run our Asia cars against the Japan grid in their invitation races. They just brake 20-30m deeper everywhere
Old 01-29-2020, 02:26 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 730 Posts

Interesting thread....

I haven't seen real dollars posted. Can anybody provide some insight?

718 Clubsport (Track Day) or 981 - For a DE guy, no racing.

Curious on annual operational costs. Tires, Brakes, Engine, Transmission, Suspension, anything else noteworthy?

I see that you basically buy a new engine/tranny instead of rebuild on CS, what are those worth?
Old 01-30-2020, 12:27 PM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
Interesting thread....

I haven't seen real dollars posted. Can anybody provide some insight?

718 Clubsport (Track Day) or 981 - For a DE guy, no racing.

Curious on annual operational costs. Tires, Brakes, Engine, Transmission, Suspension, anything else noteworthy?

I see that you basically buy a new engine/tranny instead of rebuild on CS, what are those worth?
I don't have real numbers, but year after year it always comes down to "all of it".
Viper pilot (11-19-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 12:54 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GoatFarmer
I don't have real numbers, but year after year it always comes down to "all of it".
Hey GoatFarmer, have you posted pictures of you car anywhere?
I love the colours and would like to see the whole thing.

You can PM me if you prefer.
Cheers
Old 01-31-2020, 12:14 PM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Hey GoatFarmer, have you posted pictures of you car anywhere?
I love the colours and would like to see the whole thing.

FFaust (01-31-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 08:30 AM
TurboDogue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default As always

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
From my experience,

Bought a new Clubsport in 2016 and put 3 seasons on it. 9800 miles.
Very easy to live with. No engine or transmission rebuilds during the 3 years. That is significant savings right there over 3 full seasons with a Cup powertrain rebuild schedule.
(The Mezger Cup car has engine and transmission rebuild schedule every 50-100 hours. And rebuilds are expensive with no warranty.)

The Cup car is a faster tool. Therefore it requires more scheduled maintenance given the higher rate of speed. Lap times go down, price goes up.

The Clubsport is an easier car to drive 10/10ths (fun to drive a slow car fast) thanks to ABS, ESC/TC and PDK. Turn all that stuff off and it can be a handful if you are not a clean driver.
The Cup car is harder to drive 10/10ths and has no ABS or TC. The cup car has more tire then the Clubsport but if you are not a seasoned driver you can still spin the car and flatspot the tires under aggressive braking until you get the hang of it.

Clubsport engine and transmission are replacement items. The cost to replace them almost match what it cost to rebuild the Cup engine and transmission.
So if you buy a tired cup or clubsport, the cost to totally refresh them should be not far off each other. the only bonus of Clubsport is how much time you wil get out of it again before powertrain replacement.

Lot of places for older Clubsports and older Cup cars to race. The Cup rebuild costs shouldnt really be a factor more so then the level of driver you are or intend to be. Afterall, what is an extra $35k service cost per season to be in a Cup?
Tom is the voice of real experience at the highest level! Im moving from 981 to 718 Comp for above cost and experience reasons. In two year will be seeking current cup platform as I gain more series experience in Drivers Cup and Porsche Sprint in 2021. Crawl, walk, run on cost and platform IMO
Old 11-19-2020, 09:20 AM
Viper pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts

As some one on here once said, 'what part of Porsche racing did you think might not be expensive, the Racing part or the Porsche part??'

Quick Reply: Question: maintenance of Cup vs. Clubsport