Sponsored by:

Question: maintenance of Cup vs. Clubsport

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 09:05 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller

This is interesting. I have heard the internal components between the cup engines and street GT3 differ owing to the shorter intervals on the cup? Street guys are seeing 30-40,000 track miles (small sample size based on these forums only) with as much street mileage on top of that. I was previously fearful of the engine overhauls but it will take me an eternity to reach anywhere near 200 hours in a cup car (i.e. I will never get there!).

Glen, are you saying you went 17,000km on the engine or the gearbox without overhaul?
yes, and internals on cup are identical to stock gt3. Cup cams(same as street cams) are just key locked as opposed to variocam due to their wide open throttle time as opposed to the street gt3 needing the variocam for their street throttle needs... I didn't overhaul at 17000 either. Car was sold. It went much farther.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:16 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

I dont have real data points yet but I tracked a street GT4 without real issues. However I carefully looked at a clubsport and a 996 cup when I wanted a car to go racing with and I decided to get a 996cup

factors that came into play:
clubsports are Aluminum and hard to fix after a body crashclubsports is more expensive to buy than a 996 cup
the MR package is not cheap
new clubsports will be coming out with unknown effect on classing and participating of existing cars
if the clubsports go to GTB3 the budgets will go up....
996 cup is harder to driver than a clubsport (especially coming from a GT4) but I relish the challenge.
parts time out on a 996 cup and are expensive
caymans might be cheaper but I always see people do a lot of work on them so I guess some stuff breaks....
GTC3 is a spec class. you cant really upgrade your car.

I ended up buying a very low hours 996 cup for 82k.... time will tell if that was the right decision but am very happy with it for now
Old 01-20-2019, 05:31 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm reviving an old thread as I too am curious about the maintenance and upkeep costs of a 2009 997 Cup versus a 2016 Clubsport. I am looking for a dedicated track car for track days at a private track. No racing, for now. Any additional insight on the 2009 997 Cup compared to the Clubsport?
Old 01-20-2019, 05:36 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by alevine
I'm reviving an old thread as I too am curious about the maintenance and upkeep costs of a 2009 997 Cup versus a 2016 Clubsport. I am looking for a dedicated track car for track days at a private track. No racing, for now. Any additional insight on the 2009 997 Cup compared to the Clubsport?
go Clubstport . great machines. well developed. motors and trans should last materially longer than a 997 cup. not as twitchy or difficult to master, stable car.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:18 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
go Clubstport . great machines. well developed. motors and trans should last materially longer than a 997 cup. not as twitchy or difficult to master, stable car.
Exactly, user friendly and much more forgiving when it comes to mistakes and the learning curve. Probably easier at the moment to get parts for as well since its a current production car vs. out of production car with parts going to be less and less available down the road.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:50 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Interesting comments regarding running costs and drivability of 997 Cup vs Cayman CS. I owned a 997.1 Cup and it was an incredibly fun car to drive and granted could be a handfull at 10/10's but the same could be said about the Caymans I've driven. As for maintenance, I'm still amazed at the exaggerated rebuild requirements quoted on RL. I know quite a few 997 Cup owners and shops that' provide support having many examples going over 100 hours on the engine and 50 plus on the gearbox. Parts are obviously easier to acquire with newer platforms and granted the Gen 1 997's are now over 12 years but there are plenty still on track with smiles on the faces of the owners. Not too many mentions of the fragility of the new Cayman's and the frequency that small hits require high costs to retub.

Bottom line is all of these cars are expensive to run and theres no cheap way to do it. Keep your check books open
Old 01-21-2019, 12:43 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

If first race car, I'd suggest clubsport as well.

I have had a 997.1 cup and a clubsport mr and now going to 991.2 cup

Assuming a 991 comparison to clubsport

Tires, brakes, fuel about a wash.

Regular maintenance oil, brake flush, caliper rebuilt, axles pretty close to same.

Body is a wash. Both glued multi metal bodies

Just depends what you are looking to accomplish.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:22 AM
Obturate
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Had a Cayman Clubsport, now looking for a 991.1 Cup. The GT3 Cup just looks like more fun, although getting accustomed to no ABS may be quite a hurdle.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:24 AM
Obturate
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Plus, considering what they're asking for a new Clubsport a used Cup car looks more appealing.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:17 PM
Birel22
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also am wondering what typical maintenance and running costs look like for a weekend warrior who primarily DEs the GT4CS. I made the mistake of running a few sessions in a close friend's car and am now seriously considering exiting my GT3 to pick up a CS. Any insight would be much appreciated. I know that tires are arguably the largest cost sink (how many heat cycles can you get out of the Pirelli slick?). What kind of longevity do major components such as axles, PDK, engine, calipers/rotors, dampers etc have? I really am smitten and working hard to justify it.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:52 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

This is all really good insight and info! I truly appreciate the responses. I currently have a 997 that was transformed into a race car. Full cage, adjustable coil over suspension, stripped interior, fire suppression, GT3 brakes, Hoosier R7's, etc........ I bought the car used but the person that commissioned to have it built spent $75k excluding the cost of the car. It's a great build but my main gripes are that it is a regular Carerra (non S) 3.6 liter motor and the car only makes about 330HP. Weight is 3,000lbs. Brakes are fine but not great.

I am looking for something that is just more fun and a Clubsport or used 997 Cup seems interesting. There are a few Clubsports at my club. Maybe I'll ask one of the members who own one to drive a few laps in it to see the difference from my car once spring arrives.

For reference, I take either my 991 GT3 or 991 Turbo S on the track and those cars are monsters! Tons more power and I find myself with a bigger smile in those cars after each session. Now, all of that said, the GT3 and TTS reach speeds I am generally not comfortable with in a street car thus the desire for a purpose built car.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:33 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Birel22
I also am wondering what typical maintenance and running costs look like for a weekend warrior who primarily DEs the GT4CS. I made the mistake of running a few sessions in a close friend's car and am now seriously considering exiting my GT3 to pick up a CS. Any insight would be much appreciated. I know that tires are arguably the largest cost sink (how many heat cycles can you get out of the Pirelli slick?). What kind of longevity do major components such as axles, PDK, engine, calipers/rotors, dampers etc have? I really am smitten and working hard to justify it.
so I started doing DE in a 997 RS. The went racing with a GTB-1 cayman, Just sold my clubsport to a DE guy.

My experience from DEing RS is a set of slicks tires would last all weekend and maybe into the first day of the next event. I would run michelin tires as they are cheaper than pirelli.

We get a set of pads to last all race weekend which I would say is at least twice the duration of a DE weekend.

From a safety perspective i'd run a clubsport all day vs a gt3 or RS. I would say the cost to DE RS or gt3 vs clubsport same.

What people dont mention is the depreciation of tracking a nice street car vs a used race.

I finance my street cars and pay cash for race cars so depends on money position too.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:13 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Figure $750-$1000 and hour to run the Cup. Assuming the CS will be slightly less.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:32 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
Figure $750-$1000 and hour to run the Cup. Assuming the CS will be slightly less.
if racing tire, degradation between cup and clubsport probably the same isnt it?
Old 01-22-2019, 12:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^very similar

Quick Reply: Question: maintenance of Cup vs. Clubsport