Sponsored by:

991 CUP DIY - Drain Megaline Shifter Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 01:04 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 991 CUP DIY - Drain Megaline Shifter Compressor

Draining the Megaline Shifter Compressor is super important. If too much water builds up, you will be out on track and simply wont be able to shift. Also leaving water in cant be good for it. These things are stupid expensive to replace so take care of it. This is a standard compressor operation and over time compresses the air and the water vapor turns to water and starts filling (just like any other compressor). Depending upon geographic location and use will dictate how often you need to drain. I probably over drain as I do it after every race day here in FL. Each time I will get significant water out of the unit.

With the unit off the car, the airline becomes your drain hole. Turn it down and shake and rotate the unit. You will be surprised the water that comes out. I will let it sit drain down for a short time then shake again before reinstalling. Simple task, but one not documented by Porsche.

To Remove
1) Unscrew Electrical Connector
2) Unscrew 10mm nut from stud (may be 1 or 2 nuts)
3) Loosen then unscrew the compressor line from side.
4) Pull forward a little at top so bracket clears stud and pull straight up.
5) Install in reverse order
The following 3 users liked this post by Viperbob1:
carbondan (09-17-2021), daedton (10-10-2020), hollmatt (09-17-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 02:36 PM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Fascinating procedure and extra remarkable that I also found no mention in any technical manuals.
Is this what all the cup-supporting shops/owners have been doing as well? I'm surprised no one has made something of an inline drying device. Using either desiccant or a heated coil?
Old 09-17-2021, 07:36 PM
69911s
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Just did mine at the track yesterday. Five minute job that saves much heartache. Suggested it to another cup car pilot and he said he had never heard of it. The telltale is when the compressor starts to short cycle. That's how you know it is getting full.
The following users liked this post:
carbondan (09-17-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 09:16 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 69911s
Just did mine at the track yesterday. Five minute job that saves much heartache. Suggested it to another cup car pilot and he said he had never heard of it. The telltale is when the compressor starts to short cycle. That's how you know it is getting full.
Can you explain what that feels like, or sounds like?

BTW - The 991 GT3R has the same system.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:41 AM
69911s
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Jay, I'll show you on your car next time you come up. The system for up and down shifts is powered by compressed air and like any compressor that uses untreated, outside air it accumulates water to the point that the system finally fills up, especially in high humidity. If you've ever started your car up after a long enough time for the system to bleed pressure you know the long time the compressor takes to refill. What happens when if gets close to full is that the compressor come on much more often and only for a short time since there isn't much space to fill. That's what I mean by short cycling. If the system fills completely then there is no compressed air and you can no longer shift. Basically you're stuck in whatever gear you happen to be in until you can drain and refill the system with air. There is no drain on the system so your only choice is to remove the compressor and drain it from the pressure port to the shift actuators.

(edit) Come to think of it, I'll just leave mine after the race this weekend and do it for you before the October DE since your passenger seat makes yours much more difficult to access.

Last edited by 69911s; 09-18-2021 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Rethink
Old 09-23-2021, 02:07 PM
Skibum1963
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a link to an old thread where I post a couple of pictures of the process.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...e-options.html

Quick Reply: 991 CUP DIY - Drain Megaline Shifter Compressor