Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman for a mid-life middle class??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 10:33 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Great thread!

It's October now... what's up somnoboost!?
Old 10-09-2017, 12:42 PM
SomnoBoost
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Plans are delayed just a little bit. I just bought my wife a Lincoln MKC so I'm waiting about a month. Maybe... maybe not... 🤔 😄😄

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Great thread!

It's October now... what's up somnoboost!?
Old 10-11-2017, 05:22 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SomnoBoost
Plans are delayed just a little bit. I just bought my wife a Lincoln MKC so I'm waiting about a month. Maybe... maybe not... 🤔 😄😄
Happy wife happy life... so they say. Smart man!

Keep us posted.... loved this thread, am in a bit of the same boat thinking about adding a Cayman/S next spring. This thread had a ton of great info.

Hope to see a pic of your car on here in the near future!
Old 10-21-2017, 09:55 AM
StanBo
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After going back and forth with what I would like to get next I found this thread. Thank you for getting the ball rolling and doing some of the legwork for a guy what sounds like a similar situation as your's.

Good luck with your purchase!

Please keep the thread going as you change it to "living with a cayman"
Old 03-15-2018, 09:28 PM
SomnoBoost
Instructor

Lemme wipe the dust off this thread....

So I decided that it wasnt the right time for me to get a Cayman. Mostly because having to own 2 cars was not in the cards at that time. So I ended up getting a 2014 BMW 335i and throwing an M Performance Power Kit on it. Great car and extremely fast 0-60 for a factory sedan at that price. But... I can't shake the yearning for a Cayman. So my search is back on and this time it's not going to end until there's a Cayman in my garage!!

I'm keeping my options very open but I am leaning towards a 2009+ with PDK. Any opinions on this one? It has an accident history with supposedly minor cosmetic damage that's been repaired. The accident history explains the lower price tag. Thoughts?? 2010 Cayman

Last edited by SomnoBoost; 03-15-2018 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Link fail
Old 03-15-2018, 10:52 PM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Not too sure about the "...lower price tag." I paid $33K for mine 10 months ago. 2011 6 spd Sport Chrono, similar mileage, flawless and clean history. Original sticker was $65660, so it would have about the same level of options. And I felt I probably paid a little premium, because I wanted it,
Old 03-15-2018, 11:32 PM
SomnoBoost
Instructor

Originally Posted by billwot
Not too sure about the "...lower price tag." I paid $33K for mine 10 months ago. 2011 6 spd Sport Chrono, similar mileage, flawless and clean history. Original sticker was $65660, so it would have about the same level of options. And I felt I probably paid a little premium, because I wanted it,
Wanna sell it to me??
Old 03-20-2018, 05:48 PM
StanBo
3rd Gear

HA!

First off congratulations!

I ended up getting a 2018 BRZ with the Performance Package.

I do understand still having lust for a Cayman. I think I will get one after the BRZ is paid off. Good luck!
Old 03-21-2018, 10:18 AM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by StanBo
I ended up getting a 2018 BRZ with the Performance Package.
Congrats on choosing one of the most perfect cars ever made in the last 30 years.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:35 PM
StanBo
3rd Gear

Thank you! I have 500 miles on it so far and love it to death.

Commuting it is fun when you want it to be and can be calm as well.

I also did some back road ripping and it is fun. Can't really ask for more.

I am also of the opinion when the power feels lacking I will drive the miata for a week and pop back into the brz. That should adjust my attitude lol.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:03 PM
SomnoBoost
Instructor

Well I finally did it! 2009 Base with 41k miles. Just has 40k service done and still under CPO warranty for a few more months. Had it shipped from RI to MI.
So far so good but I can’t wait to add a little more low end torque and a better exhaust note. Outside of that it drives like a champ! Thanks for all the input and opinions!
Old 04-08-2018, 11:29 AM
shooter_t1
AutoX

Nice. It's always fun having a new (or new to you) car delivered and watching it come off the trailer. Congrats on the croc.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:57 PM
Apex1
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Love your color choice. Just drive it for a year or so before adding stuff. Maybe a soul header with cat would help improve the low end torque. I bought a 07 CS a few years ago with 22 k miles on the clock. After a year, I started to add to the suspension system, first Ohlin coilovers and Tarett GT swaybars, then a year later, wider wheels and tires. Recently, last month, added LN baffle and deep sump, Tarett lower control arms, and am looking at a roll cage. Currently, I autocross the car and want to do a few DE's before I get too old for that sort of activity. My wife thinks my car is a waste of time/money. I just turned 70 and am in good health, riding my bike at least 70 miles per week. So this car give me some adrenaline activity. This car has a roof rack attachment point, which 981's do not have and I take full advantage of that rack.
The one modification I made that really transformed the car was the addition of the Tarett Cup Lower Control Arms. They changed the dynamics of the car from a sports car to a GT4 type of car. I had the suspension technician use 15mm control arm spacers, to push out the track gaining over -2.0 camber front and rear. The solid thrust puck makes the steering much more accurate and eliminates any rear suspension movement, which is appearant in slolom autocross courses. I just love the feel of the car with these control arms, what an improvement.
So, enjoy the ride, take it on a few trips, do some PCA tours, get to know how to handle the car with a PCA driving school.

bikers dream

Autocross last month

Last edited by Apex1; 04-10-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Cayman for a mid-life middle class??