Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'Normal' oil consumption for 987.1?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 04:23 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 'Normal' oil consumption for 987.1?

I'm sure there will be several different replies as to what is normal, but just curious what you guys have to say.

Picked up the '06 CS end of January with 27,300 miles. Did oil change at 28,800 miles and then added 0.8 liter at 31,000 miles. Up to this point I was checking oil level with engine warmed up, used to the old 911 having to have engine up to temp. Learned that best to check it in the morning before starting.

Added another 0.8 liter Sunday morning with 34,600 miles, plus I added 0.4 liter over a month ago but forgot to log it.

So is 0.8 liter over 2,200 miles and 1.2 liter over 3,600 miles 'normal'? Doing the math it works out to ~ 1 liter per 2,900 miles?

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2017, 04:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by jsabatini
I'm sure there will be several different replies as to what is normal, but just curious what you guys have to say.

Picked up the '06 CS end of January with 27,300 miles. Did oil change at 28,800 miles and then added 0.8 liter at 31,000 miles. Up to this point I was checking oil level with engine warmed up, used to the old 911 having to have engine up to temp. Learned that best to check it in the morning before starting.

Added another 0.8 liter Sunday morning with 34,600 miles, plus I added 0.4 liter over a month ago but forgot to log it.

So is 0.8 liter over 2,200 miles and 1.2 liter over 3,600 miles 'normal'? Doing the math it works out to ~ 1 liter per 2,900 miles?

Thanks!
Oil consumption can vary to almost none at all to 1l/1000km (1 quart / 600 miles) or whatever the worst acceptable level of oil consumption is given in the owners manual.

I'd say in your car's case 1 liter in 2900 miles ain't bad. Better that some and I'm sure there are those who'll report less oil even no oil consumption.

(If it makes you feel any better I would hazard a guess the bulk of that oil is passing through the AOS as oil vapor. The engine is probably *not* consuming oil by the oil getting past the rings or past the valve stem seals and valve stems/guides.

Besides there's not much you can go about it if you want to make it better.

The list is: Avoid prolonged idling. Avoid high RPMs. Don't run the oil too long. Don't over fill (or underfill) the engine with oil.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:07 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macster
Oil consumption can vary to almost none at all to 1l/1000km (1 quart / 600 miles) or whatever the worst acceptable level of oil consumption is given in the owners manual.

I'd say in your car's case 1 liter in 2900 miles ain't bad. Better that some and I'm sure there are those who'll report less oil even no oil consumption.

(If it makes you feel any better I would hazard a guess the bulk of that oil is passing through the AOS as oil vapor. The engine is probably *not* consuming oil by the oil getting past the rings or past the valve stem seals and valve stems/guides.

Besides there's not much you can go about it if you want to make it better.

The list is: Avoid prolonged idling. Avoid high RPMs. Don't run the oil too long. Don't over fill (or underfill) the engine with oil.
Thanks! Getting ready to do some internal track prep mods, including adding the Motorsport AOS, and wanted to make sure I was not having an oil issue. Will just keep logging the oil consumption and keep an eye on it.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:22 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Thanks! Getting ready to do some internal track prep mods, including adding the Motorsport AOS, and wanted to make sure I was not having an oil issue. Will just keep logging the oil consumption and keep an eye on it.
The Motorsports AOS is supposed to be more robust but I'm not sure it is any better (or worse) at separating oil vapor from crankcase fumes.

Tracking can to state the obvious really increase oil consumption. But if you follow sound tracking prep you show up at track day with the engine filled with fresh oil and at the right level. You bring extra oil just in case.

Also, I hope some of the internal track prep modifications adds extra oil capacity with a deeper sump with this deeper sump fitted with *proper* baffling to help ensure the engine gets all the oil it needs and oil as free from foam as it can be.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:49 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macster
The Motorsports AOS is supposed to be more robust but I'm not sure it is any better (or worse) at separating oil vapor from crankcase fumes.

Tracking can to state the obvious really increase oil consumption. But if you follow sound tracking prep you show up at track day with the engine filled with fresh oil and at the right level. You bring extra oil just in case.

Also, I hope some of the internal track prep modifications adds extra oil capacity with a deeper sump with this deeper sump fitted with *proper* baffling to help ensure the engine gets all the oil it needs and oil as free from foam as it can be.
Yep, planned internal track prep includes deep sump oil pan with baffle, Motorsports AOS, Power Steering Cooler, Underdrive Pulley, and Motorsport Thermostat.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:02 PM
danschy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well to answer the original question, my 07 Base with 50k miles uses no oil between 5k changes - still reads full. It has the least oil consumption of any car I've owned (worst being my 80 Chevy Malibu at ~100mi per quart!).
Old 07-10-2017, 07:08 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for the dumb question, but I have a 987.2.

There is no dipstick. I have to warm the car up and check the oil on the dang center info display, which seems iffy.

You have a dipstick? I'm wondering where they would have put that in a 987.1
Old 07-10-2017, 07:20 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Originally Posted by rusnak
Sorry for the dumb question, but I have a 987.2.

There is no dipstick. I have to warm the car up and check the oil on the dang center info display, which seems iffy.

You have a dipstick? I'm wondering where they would have put that in a 987.1
Nope, no dipstick on mine either. Coming from the '87 911, as are you IIRC, I was used to having to get the engine up to temp and that was what I was doing. Get it up to temp and when I would check the level it would make me wait 5 minutes to get a reading. Then it was explained over on the PCA Cayman Register that it is better to check it in the morning before starting, giving all night for the oil to drain into the sump. When I do this it only take 5 - 6 seconds to get a reading.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:27 PM
maplefrm
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

We bought our '08 Cayman base with 36,000 miles, changed the oil every 5,000 miles, sold it with 60,00 miles a little over 2 years later and never added any oil. No complaints here.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:48 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope, no dipstick on mine either. Coming from the '87 911, as are you IIRC, I was used to having to get the engine up to temp and that was what I was doing. Get it up to temp and when I would check the level it would make me wait 5 minutes to get a reading. Then it was explained over on the PCA Cayman Register that it is better to check it in the morning before starting, giving all night for the oil to drain into the sump. When I do this it only take 5 - 6 seconds to get a reading.
Yeah, I still can't get used to having to check the oil without a dipstick.

I'll check again, but I believe that my '11 requires the engine to be running, and warmed up. It even will make me idle the motor for a bit, and it does a sort of countdown.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:09 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak

I'll check again, but I believe that my '11 requires the engine to be running, and warmed up. It even will make me idle the motor for a bit, and it does a sort of countdown.
Yes, the 987.1 cars require allowing the oil to drain down and without the engine running for a reading. The 987.2 cars require the engine to be running and the oil to be above a certain temperature to read the level. Kinda confusing.

In seven years of ownership of my '06, I believe I've added oil once, perhaps twice and it was a minor amount, much less than a quart. My oil change interval with this Cayman is about 2,500 miles.
In two years with my '09 I've likewise added a minor amount once. Change interval with this Boxster is about 4-5K miles.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:59 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you are going through more than a quart of oil in less than 1 thousand miles you should address that issue before putting this car on any track duty
Old 07-13-2017, 02:04 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Yep, planned internal track prep includes deep sump oil pan with baffle, Motorsports AOS, Power Steering Cooler, Underdrive Pulley, and Motorsport Thermostat.
Sounds like a good plan. I put 124 hard track days on my 2007 using those mods and the new owner has probably added about 20 more. The AOS definitely works.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:38 PM
dennisafrompa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I never add oil and my 2008 2.7 has 104,000 miles on it.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:39 PM
tenaciousD
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I added 0.4 quarts to my 2006 CS at about 2500 miles since the oil change. Have not needed any more in the last 1500 miles.

Quick Reply: 'Normal' oil consumption for 987.1?