Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ways to Remove the Ignition Key?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 10:18 PM
localh85
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ways to Remove the Ignition Key?

I have yet another dumb question, now on Entry & Drive w/ the 2016 CGTS.

The manual makes it somewhat clear that if you leave the plastic key in the ignition lock, it drains the battery (p131). On the next page, the manual says that you can simply remove the ignition key from its initial position "0". I cannot remove the key fob from this position (it does not turn left or come out).

Here is the only way that I can get the key fob out:

1) Take the keys several feet from the vehicle
2) Turn the ignition key fob right to position 1
3) Turn the ignition key fob left to position 0
4) Turn the ignition key fob right to position 1
5) Turn the ignition key fob left to position 0

6) A distinct mechanical noise is heard after step 5 and I can remove the key fob.

Am I missing something here? If it is really draining the battery, why is it so difficult to remove?

As always, thank you!
Old 07-05-2017, 07:25 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Shirley some one can help her
Old 07-05-2017, 11:40 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My damn head hurts at the thought that a CGT has a plastic key.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:02 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Old 07-31-2020, 09:27 PM
SteveG
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm newer to the CS now than anybody here right now. So new I'm reading the manuals. Local, do you have manuals?

FWIW, mine is a 2012. So I don't know what is in yours, but when the batt is low, it is said you cannot remove the metal key. Inside the fuse cover is a slender pry tool. At the 1 o'clock position of the key oriface is a section that you pry (tool from fuse cover) the small piece out and that will release the key. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:33 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 263 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by localh85
I have yet another dumb question, now on Entry & Drive w/ the 2016 CGTS.

The manual makes it somewhat clear that if you leave the plastic key in the ignition lock, it drains the battery (p131). On the next page, the manual says that you can simply remove the ignition key from its initial position "0". I cannot remove the key fob from this position (it does not turn left or come out).

Here is the only way that I can get the key fob out:

1) Take the keys several feet from the vehicle
2) Turn the ignition key fob right to position 1
3) Turn the ignition key fob left to position 0
4) Turn the ignition key fob right to position 1
5) Turn the ignition key fob left to position 0

6) A distinct mechanical noise is heard after step 5 and I can remove the key fob.

Am I missing something here? If it is really draining the battery, why is it so difficult to remove?

As always, thank you!
I also have entry and drive on my 2014CS and the plastic “dummy” key is ment to stay in and has never caused a drain on my battery. If you are concerned or want to do a test by leaving it out for a test period you can remove it by your method or by turning the key all the way counter clockwise and holding for about 30 seconds until you hear a click the pull it out. The key fob must not be in the car when you do this. You can then insert the key fob in the ignition switch like the car’s without entry and drive. The key fob will insert and start the car and can be removed easily without any additional procedures.

After you determine if the removal of the key does not effect the battery drain you can put the plastic dummy key back in the ignition switch and use the entry and drive as intended. If you have the original battery it maybe nearing the end of its lifecycle and can cause all kinds of problems. If the auto stop/start function does not work it’s one of the first signs of a weak battery.
Jim

Last edited by Jim981CS; 08-01-2020 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-01-2020, 11:24 PM
schell
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

I would consider removing cables from battery charging it up and connection of cables, see if your key comes out, I have a 987.2 I had this issue with the old style key, I now keep my car on a maintainer.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:23 PM
SomnoBoost
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Happened to me twice. Charged the battery, came right out. 2nd time bought a new battery, came right out. I recommend... guess what... a new battery. lol
Old 08-10-2020, 07:32 PM
OLY-S
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

If your Cayman has Porsche Entry & Drive option, the "key" doesn't come out without going through some gymnastics (consult your dealer). The odd-shaped (IMO) "key" is for aid with turning on/off. I've had my '15 C-S for 9 months now... it's not a DD and I've had no issues with some sort of parasitic battery drain.

Quick Reply: Ways to Remove the Ignition Key?