Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Servicing a "New" 16 Cayman GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 11:35 PM
localh85
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servicing a "New" 16 Cayman GTS

I am acquiring a relatively new Cayman GTS this week (~160 miles)!

Besides whatever the manual will tell me, what do you all recommend for service as I start building miles and break it in?

Thanks in advance to those with the knowledge!
Old 06-27-2017, 10:38 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do what the manual says, if you take it to the track do your brake fluid/oil more frequent.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:13 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ that about covers it
Old 06-27-2017, 12:22 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Congrats on the GTS. I've followed the manual for breakin on all my new Porsches (5 so far) and have had very few problems. I did do an oil and filter change after breakin on the GT cars which I take to DEs. Probably overkill. I would check the build date (label on driver's door jamb) and the in-service date for warranty. I'd count time for oil/filter change and brake flush from the in-service date.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by localh85
I am acquiring a relatively new Cayman GTS this week (~160 miles)!

Besides whatever the manual will tell me, what do you all recommend for service as I start building miles and break it in?

Thanks in advance to those with the knowledge!
Picked up a new 2008 Cayman S in 2009 with around 80 miles on it. Did an oil/filter service at 750 miles. The oil filter element was filthy with trash and the oil from the filter housing -- I dumped this into a *clean* drain pan -- was loaded with aluminum metal flake. Normal for a new engine to shed debris and such so I wasn't too surprised.

Did another oil/filter service at around 1500 miles and I don't recall anything out of the ordinary regarding the filter element. The oil filter housing oil had just a hint of metalflake in it but it would not show up in a photograph.

Then at the "end" of break in -- at ~2000 miles -- I had the car in to the dealer for its 3rd oil/filter service (and to have the car road worthiness inspected before heading out on a ~4K mile road trip). The idea was to have fresh oil in the engine at the start of the road trip.

The frequent oil changes with a new engine is how I was taught. My advice would be to given how the oil/filter looked from my new Cayman S to change the oil/filter now and at least again at the end of "break in" at 2K miles. Then again at 5K miles -- just 3K miles later -- then every 5K miles thereafter.

A brake/clutch fluid flush bleed is due every 2 years. Check the door tag for the car's build date. I suspect it is closing in on 2 years so my advice would be to have the brake/clutch fluid flushed and bled, too.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:02 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Follow the Porsche manual.

Vary the rpms during break in, don't lug the motor, and don't drive any extended same rpm driving, get some heat cycles on it, and change the oil and any other fluids due and go back driving it.

I changed my oil and filters on my then new Cayman S at about 1500 and then at a year like it will start telling you. Both were good and I didn't use more than a few ounces of oil. I bet yours will do the same.

Quick Reply: Servicing a "New" 16 Cayman GTS