Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 cayman S value?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 09:39 PM
yoda888
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2009 cayman S value?

What do you all think is a fair price for a 2009 Cayman S with 60k miles is? No real options except for sport plus and pdk.

Kbb indicates mid-20s which seems pretty crazy to me. Any other tools out there to value the car?

I'd say the car is in good condition not excellent (some wear and tear on the interior). Exterior is in very good condition considering the miles.

Big draw back is the color. Red. It's a beautiful color but a bit "loud" for me (all my previous car colors is a bit more understated. Black, grey, silver)
Old 06-26-2017, 10:49 PM
Jscaramella
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been researching for a bit now. Seems because of the low production and non IMS issues the 09-12 are holding much better than the previous gen. That said we are going to pay a small premium above what the market values predict. My opinion of course. Big gap but I've been seeing 30-50k. I lost out on an R for 50 but I thought my offer was fair given the car already had 65k.
I wouldn't discount the red, seems like a rare color for the cayman. Although I'm not into tan interior which seems to go hand and hand with most Red pcars.
Best of luck.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:23 AM
yoda888
Racer

I've highly considered an R as well, but I would probably be hesitant to drive it as "DD" and put miles on it. So I wouldn't be able to enjoy it as much. I figure I can find an S, put the R suspension on it and I'm part of the way there vs. an R sans the lightweight pieces. I'm not nearly good enough on the track where 200lbs will make a difference with my times.

The red Cayman I'm considering has a black interior, so that's a win in my book. So that might be a pretty rare combo in itself. Again, red is so "look at me," and that isn't really me. Maybe it's a mid-life crises thing for me!

Originally Posted by Jscaramella
I've been researching for a bit now. Seems because of the low production and non IMS issues the 09-12 are holding much better than the previous gen. That said we are going to pay a small premium above what the market values predict. My opinion of course. Big gap but I've been seeing 30-50k. I lost out on an R for 50 but I thought my offer was fair given the car already had 65k.
I wouldn't discount the red, seems like a rare color for the cayman. Although I'm not into tan interior which seems to go hand and hand with most Red pcars.
Best of luck.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:26 AM
Jscaramella
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Red is easy to keep clean.....trying to sell you now.
I hear ya, sometimes you just want to blend. If you can get a great deal and its a sound car I would think about it. Black is also a pluson the interior.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:09 AM
yoda888
Racer

Perhaps if I could get a good "enough" deal on it, I can wrap it another color too. I'm partial to grays (gunmetal gray anyone?!)

Originally Posted by Jscaramella
Red is easy to keep clean.....trying to sell you now.
I hear ya, sometimes you just want to blend. If you can get a great deal and its a sound car I would think about it. Black is also a pluson the interior.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:00 PM
kurbycar32
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check NADA pricing. On this car I found their pricing was much more realistic. I bought a 2009 Cayman S with 58k on it for 31,500 in November 2017. I haggled quite a bit to get that price. Just last month another forum member was looking at a similar car in the same area for around 39k. Cayman production after 2008 was very low and yes because of the IMS thing they seem to be in high demand.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by yoda888
The red Cayman I'm considering has a black interior, so that's a win in my book. So that might be a pretty rare combo in itself. Again, red is so "look at me," and that isn't really me. Maybe it's a mid-life crises thing for me!
My experience with a lapis blue Boxster and an arctic silver Turbo is it ain't the color, it is the car that is "look at me". I had tons of people react to the Boxster when I first got it and even after. Some loved it. Some hated it. I recall one particular time -- here in Livermore no less in which Boxsters and other Porsches and even of other exotics (I was behind a Ferrari at the local In n Out a couple of years ago) are rather common -- I was driving down a road and happened to spot a car turning right. I noticed the driver and he was really reacting to the Boxster. He was so ingrossed in it that he rear ended a car in front of his.

Lapis blue. A long way from red.

The Turbo comes in for its share of attention. I particularly like the reaction from a group of young women who I encounter once in a great while out jogging. When I stop to let them pass through an intersection all eyes are focused on the car as they jog past.

(The other reaction I recall is from one of my employers, who when we got on the subject of cars mentioned he thought my "new" Turbo was one of the new Nissans.)

My only red car, my 2006 Pontiac GTO, hardly drew any attention. While I thought it looked good, had a good shape, apparently it was not that distinctive to the majority of other people. Occasionally, make that rarely, I'd get a positive reaction. Typical was as I was sitting at stop light and watching the cars make the left hand turn through the intersection and spotted a young woman in I can't recall the car now. As she drove past she caught sight of the GTO and gave me a thumbs up.

I don't recall ever getting a negative reaction to the GTO. It might as well been invisible. But it was red. Torrid red. With a red hot leather interior, too.

If one doesn't like red that's one thing. But to believe it is the color that attracts attention to these cars that's something else and while color plays a role -- the lapis blue is to me a very good looking color and I still appreciate it after all these years -- it is the car's shape that is the thing.

The same with the Turbo. I can't walk away without a backward glance. The car is still a delight to the eyes.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:37 AM
yoda888
Racer

I agree that the car makes a big difference in terms of getting attention. But if you combine the pcar "stigma" with a red car, I'm thinking it might be too much attention. But I have to admit, it's guards red is a great color on a porsche!

We shall see. A couple of things need to line up for this potential purchase.

I checked NADA and it looks like those prices are for dealers correct? Not for private party/retail deals?

Originally Posted by Macster
My experience with a lapis blue Boxster and an arctic silver Turbo is it ain't the color, it is the car that is "look at me". I had tons of people react to the Boxster when I first got it and even after. Some loved it. Some hated it. I recall one particular time -- here in Livermore no less in which Boxsters and other Porsches and even of other exotics (I was behind a Ferrari at the local In n Out a couple of years ago) are rather common -- I was driving down a road and happened to spot a car turning right. I noticed the driver and he was really reacting to the Boxster. He was so ingrossed in it that he rear ended a car in front of his.

Lapis blue. A long way from red.

The Turbo comes in for its share of attention. I particularly like the reaction from a group of young women who I encounter once in a great while out jogging. When I stop to let them pass through an intersection all eyes are focused on the car as they jog past.

(The other reaction I recall is from one of my employers, who when we got on the subject of cars mentioned he thought my "new" Turbo was one of the new Nissans.)

My only red car, my 2006 Pontiac GTO, hardly drew any attention. While I thought it looked good, had a good shape, apparently it was not that distinctive to the majority of other people. Occasionally, make that rarely, I'd get a positive reaction. Typical was as I was sitting at stop light and watching the cars make the left hand turn through the intersection and spotted a young woman in I can't recall the car now. As she drove past she caught sight of the GTO and gave me a thumbs up.

I don't recall ever getting a negative reaction to the GTO. It might as well been invisible. But it was red. Torrid red. With a red hot leather interior, too.

If one doesn't like red that's one thing. But to believe it is the color that attracts attention to these cars that's something else and while color plays a role -- the lapis blue is to me a very good looking color and I still appreciate it after all these years -- it is the car's shape that is the thing.

The same with the Turbo. I can't walk away without a backward glance. The car is still a delight to the eyes.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by yoda888
I agree that the car makes a big difference in terms of getting attention. But if you combine the pcar "stigma" with a red car, I'm thinking it might be too much attention. But I have to admit, it's guards red is a great color on a porsche!

We shall see. A couple of things need to line up for this potential purchase.

I checked NADA and it looks like those prices are for dealers correct? Not for private party/retail deals?
The main NADA site offers a choice of 2 sub sites: consumer prices or business prices.

I chose the consumer site and plugged in Porsche, 2009 Cayman S, automatic, 60000 miles and the trade in values (adjusted for miles and for the transmission) are as follows: $25,850K (rough); $28,025 (average); and $29,825 (clean). Clean retail is $33,650.

The business site appears to require one join/pay to access.

Price is only an opinion, not fact.

The dealer probably has no more in the car than its trade in value. A 2009 with 60K miles is at best going to be an average car.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:32 AM
Jack-Porsche
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Where are you getting a book value of mid 20's? You must be looking at wholesale value.
Also, guards red is a classic color! Have red with black interior for over a year now...love it. Your Porsche will get attention regardless of color. If you don't want any attention, wrong car.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jack-Porsche
Where are you getting a book value of mid 20's? You must be looking at wholesale value.
Also, guards red is a classic color! Have red with black interior for over a year now...love it. Your Porsche will get attention regardless of color. If you don't want any attention, wrong car.
The OP said "Kbb" (which I take for Kelly Blue Book: www.kbb.com).

i just visited the site and trade in for a 2009 Cayman S with 60K miles, and a PDK, ranged from $19,018 to $22677.

Prices ranged from $22708 (fair), $24113 (good), $25350 (very good), to $26,846 (excellent). Most cars (~54% according to KBB) are in the "good" class.

A search on www.autotrader.com for 2009-2011 Cayman S's (with PDK) for sale any distance turned up 5 examples: $39950 (46K miles); $35998 (45K miles); $45889 (27.9K miles); $44900 (37.5K miles), and $43750 (27K miles).

Those prices I believe are quite optimistic based on general auto depreciation. A new car depreciates 10% from the dealer's cost the minute it is driven off the show room floor. Then every year when the new models arrive the car depreciates another 10%. The curve flattens out some as the years go by unless the car proves to be a clunker in which case it steepens. In some cases the curve can really flatten out perhaps even start to go up some if the car proves to be very desirable. While the Cayman S is a very nice car I'm not sure its value is on the upswing.

In April 2009 I bought a new 2008 Cayman S with a 6-speed for $50.6K. The car was marked down from $62.6K. Yep. It had a $12K discount from new. The new Cayman, and Boxster market too, for Boxsters were marked way down as well back then, was very soft. I don't know what a 2009 Cayman S would have retailed for but say $70K. Furthermore assume that was the dealer's cost. Thus the 2009 model would have depreciated to $63K the moment the new owner drove it off the lot.

Then we'll give the car a break on depreciation and skip the 2010 models showing up later in 2009. But come 2010 the car then depreciates another 10% to $56.7K. 2011: $51K. 2012: $45.92K. 2013: $41.3K. 2014: $37.2K. 2015: $33.4K. 2016: $30.1K. The 2018 models are not here yet but they'll be here soon and that takes the depreciated value down to $27.1K.

Thus the asking prices I quoted above from www.autotrader.com then are very optimistic unless the 2009/2011 Cayman S's have experienced a considerable upswing in value. I have to note too none have anywhere near 60K miles either.

Yes, I agree there is a considerable difference between the depreciated value (which I admit is a formula that may or may not reflect reality now) and the asking prices. But as a car buyer it is not my job to make the seller's case for his asking price. As a car buyer my job is to make a case for my offer price.

Quick Reply: 2009 cayman S value?