Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK Failure (2014 CS) after Guards LSD Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 07:49 PM
acalayag
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just in case anyone is interested. I'm selling the car (dealer replaced the gearbox under warranty)

https://www.panjo.com/buy/2014-cayma...k-ready-364988
Old 07-05-2017, 10:51 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

So if they warrantied it then Porsche must not consider the lsd the cause...
Old 07-05-2017, 12:52 PM
acalayag
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
So if they warrantied it then Porsche must not consider the lsd the cause...
I also don't think the GT LSD is the direct cause. If it's due to the additional heat generated by any LSD on a mid-engine gearbox, then IMO should be sold with this disclosure.

In my case, I don't think it was heat since it failed during a 10 minute warm up session (it's first with the LSD) at 60 degrees ambient. It was probably a botched install.

The installer also didn't know the best way to pull out the oem carrier bearings. They attempted a couple of days themselves before sending it to a machine shop. This should also be in some kind of installation doc.

At the end of the day, I blame myself. I should have had it done by Sharkwerks but I had to wait 8 weeks. I waited over 3 months to get my unit so I couldn't wait.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:35 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by acalayag
I also don't think the GT LSD is the direct cause. If it's due to the additional heat generated by any LSD on a mid-engine gearbox, then IMO should be sold with this disclosure.

In my case, I don't think it was heat since it failed during a 10 minute warm up session (it's first with the LSD) at 60 degrees ambient. It was probably a botched install.

The installer also didn't know the best way to pull out the oem carrier bearings. They attempted a couple of days themselves before sending it to a machine shop. This should also be in some kind of installation doc.

At the end of the day, I blame myself. I should have had it done by Sharkwerks but I had to wait 8 weeks. I waited over 3 months to get my unit so I couldn't wait.
It would help me with my distribution and dealer vetting if you were to PM me the name of the shop. Though based on your mention of SW I have a guess who the shop is, and if I am correct they no longer represent the brand.

You are absolutely right about the dealer educating you around the project. Failure to do so is just one of several things that led me to blacklist the dealer in question a couple months back.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:58 PM
MichaelofGF
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What type cooler do you recommend?
Old 08-06-2019, 04:01 PM
MichaelofGF
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTgears
Heat is to blame for almost all Pdk failures I hear about. We always recommend an additional cooler on any car installing an lsd. It adds about 20-25 degrees F to already hot gearbox temps. We do see heat failures on many track cars without lsds as well.
What type cooler is recommended?
Old 08-12-2019, 04:18 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

I have the exact same fact pattern as the other posters. 987.2 with PDK. Ran 2 seasons (60 track days) no issues.

In the off season, I had a GT LSD installed. PDK failed on first track day. No reverse.

MichaelofGF, my advice is to not install an LSD in a 987 PDK that didn't not come with LSD from the factory.

To answer your about coolers, the slickest and most effective is the LN Engineering PDK side cooler.

Quick Reply: PDK Failure (2014 CS) after Guards LSD Install