Sponsored by:

Llumar clear film protection/718 Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 03:55 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Llumar clear film protection/718 Cayman S

My Porsche dealership offers Llumar clear film protection and wants to charge $1895 for the front bumper/full hood/front fenders and backs of the mirrors.

1. Anyone have any personal experience with Llumar?
2. Seems pricey, thoughts?

I know everyone raves about XPEL Ultimate but that is not an option at the dealership.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:00 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

The options the dealer offers are usually priced very high. Remember, the 'finance' person who pushes all the add-ons is also a salesperson.

I'd find a local tint/film shop and get an estimate.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:45 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't have experience in that one.

I had the Xpel put on my new black metallic S. It was about 1600$ for the same package and from the Porsche dealer.

I stopped and took the rear view pieces off and chunked them in the trash on the way home. I had also put some in the door sills and I threw those away too.

While the clear wrap stuff of various brands is ok enough, for me it really isn't all that super duper wonderful that is touted up to be . Yes it probably would keep the front end from being sandblasted on a track car. But overall I wont be doing it again. I just don't like the look of it and 1 big bug whacked mine on the nose clip and it tore through some. Again IMO that looks worse because there is no way to just take that spot out. People will say "it saved your paint." It is possible, but I've lots of bug and small abrasion hits on my cars and trucks and not one has gone through even the older softer Porsche paints. The more I think about it, the more I am likely to have it taken of my car. Just my 0.02 cents.
The following users liked this post:
Whiteghost377 (11-11-2021)
Old 06-19-2017, 06:16 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TexasRider
I don't have experience in that one.

I had the Xpel put on my new black metallic S. It was about 1600$ for the same package and from the Porsche dealer.

I stopped and took the rear view pieces off and chunked them in the trash on the way home. I had also put some in the door sills and I threw those away too.

While the clear wrap stuff of various brands is ok enough, for me it really isn't all that super duper wonderful that is touted up to be . Yes it probably would keep the front end from being sandblasted on a track car. But overall I wont be doing it again. I just don't like the look of it and 1 big bug whacked mine on the nose clip and it tore through some. Again IMO that looks worse because there is no way to just take that spot out. People will say "it saved your paint." It is possible, but I've lots of bug and small abrasion hits on my cars and trucks and not one has gone through even the older softer Porsche paints. The more I think about it, the more I am likely to have it taken of my car. Just my 0.02 cents.
I feel pretty much feel the same way about the need for a protective clear coat but vacillate between going for it or going without it . Why are Porsche paints so soft especially at the prices they are charging? Maybe in the near future they will include as an upgrade for a more durable paint coat on the configurator . Heck, Miami Blue is a $2500 upgrade.....
Old 06-19-2017, 07:28 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

....it really isn't all that super duper wonderful that is touted up to be.
I agree. I have three friends that have had the film applied to their cars and their experiences led me to decide not to use it. In each case, it looked okay for few months and then it began to look kind of dinged, ragged and faded....Like a car with plastic stretched across the front of it.

A well maintained coat of high quality wax will go a long way toward preventing the majority of "road scuffs" and the rest is the price you pay for driving the car. When I hear someone say that the film "saves the paint," I always want to ask, "Who are you saving it for?"
The following users liked this post:
Mike Dodd (12-06-2022)
Old 06-19-2017, 07:59 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TMc993
When I hear someone say that the film "saves the paint," I always want to ask, "Who are you saving it for?"
Good point......Funny.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:38 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

For me I had never had any films on my street cars. We had put clear over race stickers in order to try to preserve them - but that worked until you got a real ding- then you needed a larger sticker there my mechanic would say. I certainly wasn't going to do the entire car. So I thought Id try it up front on my S as I live down here in Texas where bugs proliferate - and you know Everyting is Bigger is Texas.

On the other hand, on a brand new car it isn't really hurting anything if you want it. And Ive heard that while Porsche paint is medium hardness, that the blue, and the black, is softer. I am sure , some of it at least, with the paints has to do with the environmental laws. And then how Porsche wants the finished car to look too . .

But I can see if I get a couple of more dings in mine I am going to be going in and have the Xpel stuff striped off and just wax the fire out of my car.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:48 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

...wax the fire out of my car.
Ha-ha-ha-ha-ah! Son, you just proved you're from the South. My momma used to say that she was going to, "beat the fire out of" me. You just made my day!
Old 06-20-2017, 01:11 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

You know it . . .

< < <
Old 06-21-2017, 05:55 PM
needaporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a full car Opti-Coat done for my BMW. It's been 3 years and I like it a lot. I have been dinged by rock chips in the front but did not lose any paint off the car, just minor dings. The same commute on my Infiniti without opti-coat took the paint off the front bumper.

If you think film is ugly, I highly recommend opticoat.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:44 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by needaporsche
I got a full car Opti-Coat done for my BMW. It's been 3 years and I like it a lot. I have been dinged by rock chips in the front but did not lose any paint off the car, just minor dings. The same commute on my Infiniti without opti-coat took the paint off the front bumper.

If you think film is ugly, I highly recommend opticoat.
I don't know much about Opt-Coat but I will do some reading...thanks.

Quick Reply: Llumar clear film protection/718 Cayman S