Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time in Cayman R on track

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 06:37 PM
Seneca035
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First time in Cayman R on track

SCCA Chicago Region, June 9th:

Driving into the sunset on the last straight was very serene. This was my first time on the track in the Cayman R, so I spent most of the time getting to know its general handling characteristics and feedback from various actions/inputs. Incredibly neutral car and very communicative. And bejeezus the new Michelin PS4s are very impressive for a street tire with a 300 treadwear rating on track.

This 3rd session I was the most comfortable and felt like I could grab it by the scruff at times since my tires were dialed in (PSI + temps) and I was confident in the brakes. In the first 2 sessions I was mostly in 3rd and 4th gear, but here in the clip I'm down in 2nd on some tighter turns for faster acceleration to the straights.

Current setup:
OEM Short shifter
OEM GT3 brake ducts
OEM R pads F&R
Motul 600 fluid
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
Stock alignment

Anyone else run their Cayman R on track fairly stock? I believe there's a good amount of time to shave off with this setup as I was fairly conservative (in comparison to this guy who appears to be at 9 to 10/10ths):

Cheers!
Old 06-14-2017, 02:23 PM
jay.tee
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just hit Road Atlanta over the past weekend for my first time at the track with my R. Car is largely stock, including crappy RE50s, except Fabspeed headers & exhaust.

I swapped out the brake pads for Pagid Yellow front / Black rear, and Castrol SRF brake fluid. I had a bad experience with brake failures in a different car and didn't want a repeat.

Echo your comments on the car being neutral and communicative - the steering feel is pretty incredible. I had to cut short my last session as coolant temps climbed over 220...time for a third radiator!
Old 06-18-2017, 09:11 AM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts

My R is mostly stock and love the car for track. Was just at road america this week.
I also swapped to pagid yellow pads for track - the stick pads stop well but i found them very hard on rotors wearing them quickly so when i replaced rotors i also switched to pagid pads. The pagids are much gentler and i prefer the feel.

I also noticed a big improvement with the adjustable front control arms to enable a more track oriented alignment.
I didnt like the long brake pedal action so swithed to a gt3 master cylinder which wasnt too bad a DIY job.

Great cars.

Quick Reply: First time in Cayman R on track