Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Cayman ($22k, 47k miles, minor accident) vs. 2011 Cayman ($31k, 27k miles)

Old 05-30-2017, 10:35 PM
teampxy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Cayman ($22k, 47k miles, minor accident) vs. 2011 Cayman ($31k, 27k miles)

Which one should I pick and why? I’d be using it as a daily driver - but I work at home and drive an average of 50 miles a week. So really it is a half-time fun car, half-time garage queen. I definitely like the specs on the 2011 better, including the color. Which one has the better resale potential in 3-4 years? Overall, which one is the better value?

1)
2011 Cayman Base (non porsche dealership)
$31k (KBB private party is $32k, dealer is $35k)
28k miles
Aqua Blue Metallic
Sand Beige Standard Leather (great condition)
PDKicon
Multi-stage Heating System
Standard Seats
18" Cayman S II Wheel with Full-color Porsche Crest
Sound Package Plus, Universal Audio Interfaceicon, Bluetooth
Seat Ventilation Front
Interior Design Package Painted in Exterior Color, Rear Section of Center Console in Exterior Color
Convenience Package (xenons, embossed headrests, auto air, auto dim mirrors)

This 2011 is at a non-porsche dealership. They bought it locally from a lady. They aren't retailing it and were going to sell it to a wholesaler for 31k - they are willing to give me the same price. They showed me the Mannheim post sales report to confirm that these are going for about 31k or more. Everything checked out on their PPI and they are willing to bring it to a Porsche dealer for a PPI. They are going to get a bumper expert to take care of some scuffs and chips on the bumpers with the purchase of the car. In most of my searches (I’ve looked at dozens of Caymans online) the cars selling closer to 20k sell a lot faster than those close to 30k, even if both are priced at KBB.

2)
2009 Cayman Base (private seller)
~$22k - 23k
47k miles
Macadamia Metallic (my number 2 choice in color behind Aqua Blue)
Sand Beige Standard Leather (great condition)
PDK
18" Cayman S II wheel
Automatic Climate Control
Base radio (4 speakers), Universal Audio Interface
Auto-Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensor

I actually was talking to the first owner of this car when the current owner beat me to the punch. I know the person bought it for $21,250, because the person who sold him the car told me. This 2009 has a minor accident on the carfax. I have seen the shop receipt) and it was a right rear panel parking scrape that was fully repaired at a cost of $1,700. I assume that the person will sell for some slight profit considering that there are no 2009s in great condition going for so little.

Advantages of the 2011 car:
Better color (aqua blue)
Newer year, lower mileage
More desirable features (bi-xenons, interior package in exterior color, color crests, ventilation, etc.)
I can get it for wholesale price ($1000 less than private party on KBB)

Disadvantages of the 2011 car:
More money invested. I have the money, and I know resale will be good, but still would prefer to put less into a car.
Some depreciation still to be had before flatlining? Will I get as much back at resale?

Advantages of the 2009 car:
Macadamia is a close second choice after blue
Cheaper (22k vs 31k), which means more money for mods and driving events

Disadvantages of the 2009 car:
Accident on carfax (though I suspect private resale should hold up, but certainly not worthwhile to sell to any dealerships)
Bare bones. Less desirable features (base audio, no xenons, no heat/ventilation)

So which one is the better value and why?
Old 05-31-2017, 11:40 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

If you have the money, go for the 2011.

You prefer the color--and will have to look at it every day while you own it. It also has some better options, including ventilated seats (my new favorite thing). And while you say it needs some scuffs and chips repaired, it has no other damage.

The 2009 can save you some money, but with 47k miles, it might be "middle aged" already. After a couple of years, you might be looking at more than 60k miles--and resale gets harder. Plus the collision repair, while "minor" will also impact resale.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:14 PM
Indiana Jones
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

I say go cheaper...entry in is less and since you do not drive it often, it won't bug you as much having $20k in the garage as it will having $30k in the garage. Additionally, that car won't drop much lower than 17-18k over the next few years, assuming you keep the miles low. In which case, a few thousand dollars to have a nice Porsche seems like a bargain! I could see the 2011 fetching low 20's in a few years though...Thats my $.02 and believe me I have fought long and hard with myself over buying a low mileage garage queen versus a driver several times. I recently bought a Ford Lightning for a little less than a garage queen would have gone for, and I made the right decision for me. So many variables though, it is hard to say what the right choice is. Is color that important, how much do you earn, how long do you plan on owning the car? If you are truly torn, make aggressive offers on both and see who bites!
Old 06-01-2017, 09:42 PM
teampxy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got some unexpected info. I talked to the Porsche dealership that had been servicing the car for the last 1.5 years (different than the selling dealership which is a Fiat). They told me that the car is under CPO until August 2017!

So I asked them what things need to be done to the car and what they'd recommend. He said that he has seen the car enough times over the 1.5 yrs to say that the car really doesn't have issues. They took care of a fuel line issue a couple months ago and replaced the horn recently. Furthermore, he said that a PPI was done on the car at the time the CPO was issued, 1.5 yrs ago, and that the owner has put less than 4k miles on the car since that PPI.

I was pretty surprised because while he gave me the price for the PPI ($300), he told me that he doesn't expect it to uncover anything. I wonder if he was saying that because the car is under CPO still and he doesn't want to do any work.

I am getting a PCA-approved shop to take a look. Nonetheless, this is pretty encouraging info (especially the surprise CPO).
Old 06-02-2017, 04:37 AM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

If a non Porsche dealer is selling the car, then there is no CPO warranty on the car.

Good luck,

Eddie
Old 06-10-2017, 01:06 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

What did you decide?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 Cayman ($22k, 47k miles, minor accident) vs. 2011 Cayman ($31k, 27k miles)