Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Cayman S Owner-to-Be; Any Reason to ever go to the Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 07:08 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Cayman S Owner-to-Be; Any Reason to ever go to the Dealer?

I'm in the process of purchasing a 2006 Cayman S with relatively low mileage. It was not listed for sale here, however was owned by an enthusiast, and well taken care of by him and the 2 former owners. I will be picking the car up in about a week, in a city 8 hours drive away. The car has never been in my state, as far as I can tell, and never been seen by any shop or dealer here. The seller is cognizant of such things as IMS issues, and has had a magnetic oil drain plug installed.

From what I can tell, and I'm reasonably sure of this, everything maintenance-wise is up to date, for now. The only question I have is whether or not to change the plugs, and that will be sorted and acted upon before picking the car up and driving it home.

I have no relationship with my local Porsche dealer, other than going there once and test driving a used 911, which I did not buy. I did chat up some of the service advisors, but that was months ago. I have never discussed the vehicle I am going to buy with them. The dealer has a reasonably good reputation, but (not surprisingly) are regarded to be expensive.

There are reputed to be a couple of good independent garages specializing in Porsches in the area.

I can't think of any good reason to strike up a relationship with the Porsche dealer, as I think all the work on the car can be done competently, at less cost, by the independents available.

Am I missing something? Is there any reason to work with the local brand representative on this car?

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:08 PM
mrmandmman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once you are out of warranty, a good independent shop is what you want.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:58 PM
extanker
Banned

good luck
Old 05-01-2017, 01:37 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Contact your local PCA and see who they recommend. The only thing I went to the dealer for was my GT3 brake ducts, much cheaper than some of the online vendors.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:46 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I would vote to try out the independent mechanics too.
Also, IMO there is no particular reason to have the plugs changed before your drive home. If the plugs have not been changed yet in the car (regardless of miles) they do need to be done, but why not wait until the car is home?
Old 05-02-2017, 02:25 AM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by Spokayman
I would vote to try out the independent mechanics too.
Also, IMO there is no particular reason to have the plugs changed before your drive home. If the plugs have not been changed yet in the car (regardless of miles) they do need to be done, but why not wait until the car is home?
Thanks very much!

ken
Old 05-02-2017, 02:24 PM
Jack-Porsche
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll share a different point of view here. While I support the independent guys, I think dealers in general have gotten a reputation unfairly in some cases.
I have some good independent guys in my area, but they aren't always "cheaper". Also, there is something to be said for dealer service. They are working with the latest and greatest of equipment, and have frequent continuing education for the techs.
Some of my local dealer guys are absolute enthusiasts who own Porsche's and track them....no reason not to trust your car with them, and you have a large dealership standing behind their work.
Again , I like the independents but I feel that sometimes people are too quick to rule out a Porsche dealer for after warranty service.
Another point to remember is that if resale is any concern at all, people like seeing dealer service records. Even if your independent guy is good, if the person purchasing the car has never heard of them, it may not be a positive thing.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:16 AM
Terry T.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Jack, if you find a good dealer. They do have the latest an greatest tools, and the dealer service records are valuable on resale. That said, the ones around here are pretty crummy, and there are a couple very good (but expensive) independents. So I use the indys.

I would not bother changing the plugs for an 8-hour drive. I drove my 09 S home from Phoenix to Seattle on the originals, then changed them once home. At cruising speeds, they should be fine. That said, I would change them when you got home. With modern ignitions, plugs last longer than back in the day, but when they start to taper off in performance, they tend to damage the individual coils. Changing the plugs can be easily done by you, but it's a bit of a pain.

Good luck, relax, and enjoy the trip.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:19 AM
Terry T.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PS--I laughed when you said "The car has never been in my state, as far as I can tell"

. . . No Cayman has ever been in Idaho! (A little Washington state humor.)
Old 05-07-2017, 02:59 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,445 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry T.

. . . No Cayman has ever been in Idaho! (A little Washington state humor.)
I laughed....
Old 05-09-2017, 12:55 AM
champignon
Pro

Thanks for all of the comments.

I can certify without a doubt that there are Porsches in Idaho, in fact I have test-driven a number of them :-)

The local dealer in my part of the state actually has a pretty good reputation. I have had contact with a few others, in other surrounding states, who leave me cold. All of that having been said, when the relationship is not made with a dealer during the period that a car is still in warranty, the motivation to make that connection later is not great. This will depend ultimately on the quality of the competing independent garages and the difference in cost for service among the independent and the dealer garages.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:31 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack-Porsche
I'll share a different point of view here. While I support the independent guys, I think dealers in general have gotten a reputation unfairly in some cases.
I have some good independent guys in my area, but they aren't always "cheaper". Also, there is something to be said for dealer service. They are working with the latest and greatest of equipment, and have frequent continuing education for the techs.
Some of my local dealer guys are absolute enthusiasts who own Porsche's and track them....no reason not to trust your car with them, and you have a large dealership standing behind their work.
Again , I like the independents but I feel that sometimes people are too quick to rule out a Porsche dealer for after warranty service.
Another point to remember is that if resale is any concern at all, people like seeing dealer service records. Even if your independent guy is good, if the person purchasing the car has never heard of them, it may not be a positive thing.
Definitely fair point though my personal experience says that "factory trained technician" doesn't mean much these days... at least with respect to Audi and Porsche.

The dealer does have the latest-n-greatest tools, and a direct line to Germany for when they get stuck. But I've also witnessed a lot of these guys completely incapable of actually diagnosing any kind of problem. They follow the flowcharted procedure prescribed by the factory, and can change out parts... but can't necessarily tell you WHY.

Independents, I've found, on the other hand seem to be more of the troubleshooters. Guys who will see a problem, stop and think about it first, maybe test a few things, then go with what makes sense. Downside of course is that some of their tools may be outdated, etc.

All the *really* good factory guys I know? They've all left dealership life and landed either on their own, or at an indy.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:12 PM
FactoryMatt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Only to get keys cut.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:45 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

When you feel your neglected sphincter needs a workout

Quick Reply: New Cayman S Owner-to-Be; Any Reason to ever go to the Dealer?