Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

center radiator

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 09:03 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default center radiator

I installed the factory center radiator, which seems to be from a 996 but with 987 hoses. The grill, shroud, all the nuts and bolts, etc were assembled into a ready to go "Kit" by Suncoast. Installation was super easy. Removing the bumper cover is super easy. In fact, it should be part of the 20,000 mile service to remove the bumper and clean the debris from the radiators.

If I were to give any tips, it would be:

1. Use the Airlift tool or similar to fill the cooling system after installing the new radiator. Don't try to run the engine to bleed air. It can be done, but it's a huge pain in the ***. Don't do it. Use the tool, trust me.

2. The sidemarke lights disconnect from the back side. There is a clip. Super easy once you know it's there.

3. Remove the bumper (2 bolts), horn (1 bolt), and the front wheels. Make room to work.

4. Reinstall the spring clips on the hoses, observing the correct orientation. Put the clips back before connecting them to the radiator. They 'click' into place. If you don't then they may blow off at the most inconvient time, stranding you.

If you don't observe Tip #1, then you may need to borrow a scan tool or Durametric to reset codes. Thankfully I have both. The sensors in the radiators get confused if they have air in them.
Attached Images    
Old 04-24-2017, 09:24 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

You can't see ANY of this debris with the bumper cover on. In fact, they looked clean.
Attached Images   
Old 04-24-2017, 11:10 PM
Terry T.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, Rusnak, good info. I'd also add, w/r/t the front bumper cover, make sure you pull out those weird clips that are near the front corner of the hood. Agree it should be part of a service, and I don't think it would add that much cost. Although I took a lot of time removing mine for the first time, I bet with the learning curve, a decent tech could get it off in 10 minutes.

Terry
Old 04-24-2017, 11:13 PM
Terry T.
Instructor

Do you want to sell the scoop/plug thing that you replaced with the radiator?
Old 04-24-2017, 11:59 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

The clips were in very good shape, and came out easily. I studied the design, and rather than push them out, I pulled them by pressing on the tab of the leading side. I could probably do the whole thing over again in less than 30 mins now that I know how it all works.

You mean the center mouth thing? I guess I could. It's just sitting in a box somewhere I think.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:37 AM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the info. This is definitely the next performance upgrade on my Cayman S.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:56 PM
Terry T.
Instructor

Originally Posted by rusnak
The clips were in very good shape, and came out easily. I studied the design, and rather than push them out, I pulled them by pressing on the tab of the leading side. I could probably do the whole thing over again in less than 30 mins now that I know how it all works.

You mean the center mouth thing? I guess I could. It's just sitting in a box somewhere I think.
What do you want for it? I want to use it as a plug for a CF block off plate. Tried to PM you but got a message that your mailbox was full.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:56 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I have hoplessly too many messages. Send an email to Sequoiafjv@aol.com. I really don't care how much I get for it, mostly cover shipping. I saw it when I was getting my impact driver out. It's a bit dusty now after the wind storm but it's in good condition.

Quick Reply: center radiator