Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Cayman or Boxster Order Progress

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 10:23 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2018 Cayman or Boxster Order Progress

Placed an order for a 2018 Cayman S and would like to start a tracking thread for those of us waiting for delivery. My vehicle enters the body shop on the 16th of June 2017 (V260). I placed my order on the 15th of March and the vehicle commission number was just recognized by the Porsche Delivery App for the iPad three days ago but the App cannot provide any vehicle details yet.

Last edited by Porsch2018; 04-08-2017 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:46 PM
Jack-Porsche
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsch2018
Placed an order for a 2018 Cayman S and would like to start a tracking thread for those of us waiting for delivery. My vehicle enters the body shop on the 16th of June 2017 (V260). I placed my order on the 15th of March and the vehicle commission number was just recognized by the Porsche Delivery App for the iPad three days ago but the App cannot provide any vehicle details yet.
looking forward to hearing about your experience and seeing pictures when you get it.
I know the flat 6 is fun...I'm sure this new one will be as well
Old 04-10-2017, 08:01 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jack-Porsche
looking forward to hearing about your experience and seeing pictures when you get it.
I know the flat 6 is fun...I'm sure this new one will be as well
Thanks....looking for late July/early August delivery. Chose Miami Blue with leather interior with Sport-Tex Seat Centers in Graphite Blue/Chalk. Should be fun......
Old 04-11-2017, 03:03 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Update.....change in tracking information......vehicle is fixed 23 June (V250) and enters the body shop on 30 June (V260). Vehicle exits production 7 July (V270) and Vehicle completion 7 July (V300).

Thoughts on why I prefer the Cayman......

I initially, by mistake, posted the tracking thread on the 991/911 forums and was well not entirely well received. I guess they are so enthusiastic about their 911’s my posting was, well, like sacrilege☺. Although, I know the 911 is a great car, for me at least this is why I enjoyed the Cayman more…….. Firstly, I am new to the Porsche brand and did not have any strong feelings either way about the flat six or the turbo 4-cylinder engine. I went on 4 separate occasions’ to Porsche dealerships’ and I was looking for a fun car to drive. I would have preferred to go with either a used older model either a 2014/2015 or even a 2016 Porsche. I know in other forums and in various posts they lamented the loss of the 6-cylinder engine and the loss of the “aural” effect but I wanted a car that was going to be a blast to drive and had no preconceived notions. When I went to the dealership the first time I was going to buy the 2016 base with PDK and I test-drove it and quite frankly the car was unruly and not much fun. In fact, I said to my wife….big deal I prefer my Honda Accord…it may not be fast but it was a heck of a lot more comfortable. I was about to leave the dealership and I decided to test drive the 2017 base Cayman and man was that fun…I felt the power of that turbo 4-cylinder engine at lower rpms then with the 2016, and even with the base did not experience the dreaded “turbo lag”. The power and ride was truly exciting and I felt in complete control. I then at a later date, at another dealership, tested both the 2017 Cayman S and the 2017 911 Carrera, and the 2017 Cayman S was like sitting on a rocket but I felt I was one with the car…..it’s hard to explain but it was visceral…..the 2017 911 Carrera was….well Meh, ho-hum. In fact, before I went to the dealership I had a 2017 911 specked out with sports chrono, sports exhaust, front end lift……over 120K thinking that the 911 had to be the car, after all it was revered, it is the Porsche icon but alas that hype fell flat after a test drive. It was all about the ride. Now even though the horsepower of the 911 is 370 and it has two turbo’s (albeit smaller in size than the Cayman S) the compression ratio for the Cayman S is better 9.5:1 verses 10:1 for the 911. The S having a larger single turbo creates greater boost pressure (“S” 1.1 to 1.4 bar pressure verses “911” 0.9 to 1.1 bar pressure). The Cayman S and Boxster S also have Variable Turbine Geometry (VTG) creating more torque (309 lb-ft) then the base models. These facts probably explain why the Cayman S felt so much more powerful, and accelerated so much more quickly.
I am still concerned about Porsche reliability, and if this car holds up with proper maintenance then we will stay with the brand if not this will be our first and last Porsche purchase.
Below is a link that is good review of the 718 Cayman that I have posted before but if anyone is considering a Cayman it’s worth watching….one of the comments the reviewer makes is that the 718 is more the true 911 then the 911….sounds odd but basically the 911 has gotten larger and departed from it’s roots (this reviewer comment is at about 3 minutes in the video).

Last edited by Porsch2018; 05-24-2017 at 06:28 AM. Reason: "S" bar pressure is 1.1 to 1.4 bar not 1.1 to 1.5...corrected
Old 05-15-2017, 04:01 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Order went to V210 status today.......getting closer. Not quite sure what exactly that means aside from getting closer to V250 (vehicle fixed) but the build is still changeable....
Old 05-23-2017, 04:08 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Made a change to the build while in V210 status changed from Graphite Blue/Chalk Sports Tex interior to Black/Chalk leather and added LED lights, door-sill guards in stainless steel, and my delivery date moved 3 weeks further out. Apparently, although you can change the build in V210 status it may delay delivery.....time will tell.

Last edited by Porsch2018; 06-15-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:49 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Status V250 (vehicle fixed)

I once again went to a Porsche dealership today and wanted to test both a 2017 911 Carrera S (with the Sports Package including sports chrono, sports exhaust, rear axel steering….etc), and the Cayman S just to be sure I was choosing the right car. I again specked out a 2018 911 Carrera S before going to the dealership for 137K just in case the 911 Carrera S was more fun to drive than the Cayman S. What I found when I drove both the 911 Carrera Base and the Carrera S models (with PDK) was that with both 911’s the PDK shifting was more abrupt and not as smooth as the 718 Cayman S. I don’t know why the PDK so much smoother and the transition between gears so much more fluid with the Cayman S but it is, and when I brought that to the attention of the SA he stated the shifting in the 911 is smoother when in the “normal” mode, though I did not find that to be the case on my test drive. In addition, heck, I expect to spend most of my time in the Sport and Sport Plus mode so keeping the 911 in normal mode is not my idea of fun.
After the test drive I told my SA to lock my build since there is no question that the amazing sound, ride and feel of the 718 is so much better than the Carrera’s and 981 Cayman’s that I test drove. I still don’t understand why people are deriding the 718 but to each their own. I still feel the 718 Cayman S is like riding a Rocket….Wow!
I also want to test drive a 911 GT3 because that looks like a car with raw power, and have requested a 2018 GT3 allocation but I was late to both the brand and the game. Though, my SA placed an “on demand” order request for me for a 2018 911 GT3, and also placed me at the top of the list for a 2019 GT3…..if it comes through my wife will inherit the Cayman S and the GT3 will be my car....pending a fun test drive.....

Although, this thread is a little dated they discuss that abrupt shifting (jolt) that I experienced with the PDK on the 911's, though, still not sure why the PDK is much smoother in the 718's........

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...technique.html

Last edited by Porsch2018; 05-31-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:53 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Thoughts about the 718 Cayman…….

4-Cylinder Turbo Engine:

The anti-4 cylinder/turbo fear reminds me of the irrational fear, and gloom and doom when Porsche went from air-cooled to water-cooled engines……the article I read was, for me, both informative, and similar, in many respects to the present irrational, non-fact based argument that is swirling/racing around this newest innovation, the 718….. “The world was changing, and the air-cooled engine simply wasn’t able to change with it. Water cooling allowed an engine redesign that included four valves per cylinder, and which brought the higher power outputs, the improved fuel economy, and the reduced emissions that the market and legislators were all demanding. It also bought Porsche a future development curve, because while just about every last gasp of power had been rung out of the air- cooled engine, the new engine had many years of potential future upgrades engineered into it.”
What makes a Porsche a Porsche is not a particular car or a particular engine but the constant innovation, and hopefully, that will never end. Porsche is cutting edge, and at least for me that includes the 718.

Also, I don't agree about the “unacceptable” sound of the 718, what do they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder....make that ear too. I would not take a 981 even though the dealership would discount it significantly. It was all about the ride, the power and the performance of the 718, and it is without a doubt, AMAZING. As I have previously commented, I considered purchasing both a 2017 911 Carrera and Carrera S specked out but the car that was most fun to drive was, and is, for me at least, the 718 CS.

Good points made about the 718 Cayman engine by a YouTube commenter:

“For f--ks sake, please shut up about the 718's flat 4. That horse has been beaten to death 1000 times. The 3.4 is not coming back and for good reason. It was lethargic, at best, low in the range, which was annoying as hell. The turbo 2.5 is much more usable throughout the rev range, even pulls hard all the way to redline, which is uncharacteristic for a turbo, but not a Porsche turbo. No amount of orgasmic sound can make up for the 3.4's ****ty low end pull. The 718s are perfect, in my opinion, and I'm so tired of hearing every goddamn reviewer obsess about the one thing that doesn't influence performance. Move the f--k on!.”

Fun video URL’s for those of us that are waiting or considering a 718 Cayman or Boxster:

Interesting promo video of 718 Cayman:

Evolution of the 718 Cayman in some detail:

Description of the Boxster Engine:

Porsche Factory/Building a Porsche:

Porsche Boxster as a DD:

Porsche Cayman Tracking Forum on Planet-9:
http://www.planet-9.com/718-chat/189...racking+forums

Last edited by Porsch2018; 06-13-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:21 AM
Fliz
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting these vids. I especially like the in-depth look at the Boxster S video since I am waiting for one.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:57 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fliz
Thanks for posting these vids. I especially like the in-depth look at the Boxster S video since I am waiting for one.
When does your Boxster arrive? There is currently and issue with EPA and CBP certification so the 2018's are delayed to mid to late August.

http://www.718forum.com/forum/porsch...delayed-2.html
Old 07-18-2017, 10:55 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

So...What is thread about other than self-aggrandizement?
Old 07-18-2017, 11:40 PM
Fliz
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When does your Boxster arrive? There is currently and issue with EPA and CBP certification so the 2018's are delayed to mid to late August.

http://www.718forum.com/forum/porsch...delayed-2.html
I just recently ordered, so won't get my car until November. Gonna be a loooong wait and I'm already running out of reading/reviews/videos etc. which is why I appreciate the material you posted.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:01 AM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fliz
I just recently ordered, so won't get my car until November. Gonna be a loooong wait and I'm already running out of reading/reviews/videos etc. which is why I appreciate the material you posted.
I know the wait is tough....I initially was promised my vehicle 25 August but that date got moved to 15 September.....long time coming.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:44 AM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TMc993
So...What is thread about other than self-aggrandizement?
Sometimes I find that a persons comments reveal more about themselves then the intended target. So is it that you have the need to self aggrandize and therefore see it in others or is it jealousy or simply as the rantings of a bitter old old man or some permutation of the former? This forum should be about sharing experiences and at the same time be educative. If you can’t understand the thread whether through lack of education or being imperceptive then move on.
Your bitter superfluous comment means clearly your the kind of person one avoids in life. A beacon of evil, as it were…….advice, you need to find some activity to occupy your time that doesn’t involve spreading negativity, though for a person like you, that would probably be near impossible…..
Have a wonderful day!!
Old 07-19-2017, 11:51 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

This forum should be about sharing experiences and at the same time be educative. If you can’t understand the thread whether through lack of education or being imperceptive then move on.
Thanks so much for defining the purpose of the forum and telling me what I can and cannot respond to....After twelve years here it's good to finally know the rules!

Contrary to your opinion, I do understand the thread and it's purpose, which, by the way, was solely to garner attention...

Let's go through it together so you will understand....
  1. You ordered a Cayman (W-h-h-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!)
  2. But then, "Oh, golly, gosh!" you weren't sure what the production codes meant.
  3. Then, "Oh, gee whiz!" you weren't sure if you wanted a Cayman or a 911.
  4. So, the to our utter amazement you went totally cray-cray and test drove a 911.... (Wow!)
  5. Then you posted your totally subjective and completely uninformed impressions of the 911 along with a bunch of videos that anyone with any interest in Porsche automobiles had seen, oh, maybe twenty times.
  6. Then we wait with bated breath (Yeah, right!) while you make you decision to (Gasp!) move forward with the Cayman order.

Educative indeed...Actually, just pure silliness...Get over yourself.

Quick Reply: 2018 Cayman or Boxster Order Progress