Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Cayman or Boxster Order Progress

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 11:16 PM
dpcompt
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ???????????

Originally Posted by TMc993
Thanks so much for defining the purpose of the forum and telling me what I can and cannot respond to....After twelve years here it's good to finally know the rules!

Contrary to your opinion, I do understand the thread and it's purpose, which, by the way, was solely to garner attention...

Let's go through it together so you will understand....
  1. You ordered a Cayman (W-h-h-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!)
  2. But then, "Oh, golly, gosh!" you weren't sure what the production codes meant.
  3. Then, "Oh, gee whiz!" you weren't sure if you wanted a Cayman or a 911.
  4. So, the to our utter amazement you went totally cray-cray and test drove a 911.... (Wow!)
  5. Then you posted your totally subjective and completely uninformed impressions of the 911 along with a bunch of videos that anyone with any interest in Porsche automobiles had seen, oh, maybe twenty times.
  6. Then we wait with bated breath (Yeah, right!) while you make you decision to (Gasp!) move forward with the Cayman order.

Educative indeed...Actually, just pure silliness...Get over yourself.
Kind of a bull%#it reply.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:48 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Hey come on TMc993 - I've enjoyed this thread - posted by an enthusiastic new-to-brand soon-to-be Porsche owner. No need to pee on his parade.

To the OP - welcome to the forum. Love your comments as there has been a lot of blah blah about the new 718 and I am glad you've been able to see through it and purchase yourself a Cayman. They are incredible cars.

As for reliability you'll find they are neck and neck in the ratings with the industry best. I've owned a few now and never even think about it. They're GREAT cars and again, congrats and good choice.

Keep us posted!
Old 07-21-2017, 10:11 AM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Hey come on TMc993 - I've enjoyed this thread - posted by an enthusiastic new-to-brand soon-to-be Porsche owner. No need to pee on his parade.

To the OP - welcome to the forum. Love your comments as there has been a lot of blah blah about the new 718 and I am glad you've been able to see through it and purchase yourself a Cayman. They are incredible cars.

As for reliability you'll find they are neck and neck in the ratings with the industry best. I've owned a few now and never even think about it. They're GREAT cars and again, congrats and good choice.

Keep us posted!
Glad you and others have enjoyed the posts. I have no new updates, all I know is it went V260 on the 21st of June but the projected date of the vehicle completion (V300) is 28 July. Typically most Porsche are completed in a week or less. Not sure but the long production time may have something to do with supply constraints. Tried to get more details from my SA but he has no idea why it is taking this long to complete. Currently the vehicle is supposed to arrive at the dealership on or around the 15th of September.
……and…….Yes……I am quite enthusiastic……..Great car! Will post pictures as soon as the CS arrives…..
Old 07-21-2017, 01:13 PM
dpcompt
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my '17 718S Cayman for almost 2 months and the car has been flawless. I can't wait to see pictures of yours and a review. Cheers
Old 07-21-2017, 02:07 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dpcompt
I've had my '17 718S Cayman for almost 2 months and the car has been flawless. I can't wait to see pictures of yours and a review. Cheers
Congratulations! The 718 is an absolutely beautiful machine. I have never been a car enthusiast but one test drive and now I am hooked. It's amazing the power Porsche can get from 4 cylinder turbo. Enjoy your car and post pictures for those of us in "Waiters purgatory"........Enjoy.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:47 AM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Here is a blog that focuses on the 718 Cayman that the 718 enthusiasts may like:

http://www.notey.com/@slashgear_unof...ged-world.html

The articles in this blog are all excellent but this one below I found both the article and comments dead on…….

Old 07-23-2017, 11:07 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsch2018
Here is a blog that focuses on the 718 Cayman that the 718 enthusiasts may like:

The articles in this blog are all excellent but this one below I found both the article and comments dead on…….

Excellent comments. Thanks for posting.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:05 PM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too test drove a base Cayman (2014) with only 700 miles on it a few months ago and walked away completely unimpressed. Did not care for the acceleration. I felt the gas pedal was "heavy", meaning it took more foot travel than I'm used to for the car to start accelerating, if that makes any sense. I was hoping to be blown away but I had the complete opposite reaction. Now I'm wondering if all 2014-16 base Cayman's are like that or just the one I drove and perhaps I should test drive the 2017 base Cayman to see if I see any difference.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:41 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lajoiedp
I too test drove a base Cayman (2014) with only 700 miles on it a few months ago and walked away completely unimpressed. Did not care for the acceleration. I felt the gas pedal was "heavy", meaning it took more foot travel than I'm used to for the car to start accelerating, if that makes any sense. I was hoping to be blown away but I had the complete opposite reaction. Now I'm wondering if all 2014-16 base Cayman's are like that or just the one I drove and perhaps I should test drive the 2017 base Cayman to see if I see any difference.
I test drove both a 2014 Cayman S and a 2016 Cayman both manual and PDK and I also felt like it was kind of boring and lethargic when it came to acceleration. If you look back at my post #4….I had no intention of buying the 2016 Cayman after the test drive, and I was ready to “chalk” the Porsche mystic down to the ramblings of the misguided but then before leaving the dealership I decided to test drive a 2017 base Cayman with PDK and I was a believer. The power of the 718 was/is incredible, and at relatively low rpms….The base starts pulling hard at 1950, and the CS at 1900, in fact, both pull hard low in the rev range. I definitely recommend at least test driving the 2017 C or CS both are great cars, and allot of fun. Also at this point the 2018’s will be on the Porsche lot’s very soon so either work a great deal on a 2017 or go for a 2018……If you want a 2017 I would try to see if you can get 10% off or close to that…..
A 2014/981 with 700 miles sounds great but if it is not much fun to drive then what good is it. I know there are many people on this forum that love their 981’s but for me I would not buy it at any price. If you search your local dealerships the 981’s are selling at a real good price but I am not looking for a bargain rather I am looking for an amazing ride……and for me that’s the 718. Good luck!

PS…..Found out today my car is completed (V300) and at Port Emden (V331) waiting on a ship……my SA provided me with my VIN# so it finally seems real…..My car took a little over a month to exit the build shop so supply constraints must have been the issue…..
Old 07-24-2017, 08:58 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

These are Porsches. They are going to be well built, fast, and handle great. Thats what Porsche does.

On the other hand to think there is world of difference in the 981 - uhhh well. Sure there are changes. If its a tenth or 2 ok. Porsche is the worlds expert on segment differentiation marketing and micromanagement of models and costs. They have been since long before there was a 718 Cayman. Since there was the original 718. And Porsche sells it best. Why did they change these models - one reason is to separate from the 991 that the 981 was bumping up to and especially in GT trim.

I like the 718 ok. I drove them. There is no perfect solutions. We spend years looking for that in racing. What you move to one place you loose in another. Weight goes here - wear goes there. Power goes more here - power goes less here. More power across the board you say. Great. Now do more service - little things like crank bearings and cylinders.

But these are indeed good cars. Just not perfect. When you are on Porsche 1 thats what you want. Perfect. By number 5 or so you accept the less than perfect Porsche world more as it really is. If your turbo grenades on you out of warranty, or the belt breaks ( 951) and wipes out your interference motor, or your IMS goes and takes things along with it some guys go along with it and fix it and keep driving it. Others sink into the Malcontent World of Non Perfection.

I would not trade my 981 for a 718 of any model. Is it better? No. Is the 718? Probably not either. First there is the more classic Porsche look of the 981. Then there is the flat 6. That is Porsche. To me. Sure they made 4s and turbos before. I liked the 951 - but no matter that it barely moves the Porsche needle. Want to see a classic Porsche - hey how about a 930. It has a turbo and a flat 6. What is that about 40 years old now. How about a 959 - it has a twin turbos and a flat 6. What are they, 30 years old now.

I chose my 981 over a 991 but if that was 991 against the 718 then the 991 wins for me. And most sport car owners feel that way too if you consider 911 type cars versus sales of Caymans. Then again you have the entire history , heritage, and marketing weight of Porsche on the 911 type cars.

But it is just about what you want to drive. Sure this is new for the OP. Heck he gets his fun on RL. For us old Porsche hands it is different. They get their fun too. https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...questions.html

But if a 991 911R became available at only MSRP then my 981 wouldn't be in the garage tomorrow.

Time to build the OP car - it was more probably due to workers on summer vacation.

The differences will play out over time. When you take it to the track and some guy in a 914 passes you with a wave , you'll see what I mean.

In that time, enjoy your new car.

Last edited by TexasRider; 07-24-2017 at 09:23 PM. Reason: sp
Old 07-24-2017, 10:57 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TexasRider
Time to build the OP car - it was more probably due to workers on summer vacation.

The differences will play out over time. When you take it to the track and some guy in a 914 passes you with a wave , you'll see what I mean.

In that time, enjoy your new car.
All good points but driving a car you enjoy has to be the starting point otherwise it makes no sense. Regarding the delay in my car exiting the body shop, summer vacation may have been a factor but that cannot explain the delay entirely. My 718 went V260 on 21 June, Viffermike’s car, from the same dealership, went V260 on the 25th of June. Mike’s car was completed on the 4th of July, and mine on the 24 of July.
The 911 is a fine car but the base and C2S are not for me…..I did test drive a 2016 GT3 last week but I was looking for an engine G05373 or latter since that’s when they started using the DLC coated cams. Let’s just say the 2016 GT3, well, it isn’t boring………..
It is undoubtedly true that there are many faster cars then the 718 but for me the 718 is plenty fast enough. My intent is to use the 718 as a DD, I just don’t see myself ever going to the track…….not a Mario Andretti wanna be.

Last edited by Porsch2018; 07-24-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:45 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Ha - that is just about how long vacation is. Not that it matters. Im sure they had things to do on the line, parts , and the delivery isn't anything iron clad anyway. Ask anyone that has waited on a turbo, or GT4, or a 911R. Time drags on but they get done

It is indeed about the car you want to drive ( fun, enjoyment, experiences, etc) as I put in the post. No question...

You will do yourself a Quasi-small -disservice if you don't find your way to a track in your car. Whether you take up racing or not is whole 'nother thing. These aren't real race cars, but are fun for having fun. Porsche has a great community in that plus you experience a bit of the heritage of Porsche.

And heritage is a part of Porsche. Where is the descendent line of our 718 and 981s? All 911 owners can tell you theirs. The 356 of course. No . . wait before that. HA --thats a jab at the 911 owners ( for fun). The VW of course. And us poor Porsche car guys, we have it too. The 904.

The 991 911S really hustles and handles well BTW. Anyone discounting it is in error. It was a difficult choice for me in ways. But knowing the 6 would be in the 911s and that I really liked the Cayman more made it an easy decision.

After you have been through DE and/or other track events you will know what your car can do and what you can do and I bet even Mario Andretti was better in car control as a result. Just a thought.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:07 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

I thought that the 718 Caymans’ were now being produced exclusively in Stuttgart but I learned from posts on Planet-9 that this is not the case. Apparently, the Caymans’ are also still being manufactured at Osnabrück as well.

If interested, you can tell by the 11th character/letter of your VIN# where your car was manufactured.

From the link provided below:

“Yeah the VIN will tell you where its built.
Factory location:
S - Stuttgart (911, 928, 959, 968, Boxster, Cayman)
N - Neckarsulm Audi factory (924, 944)
U - Uusikaupunki Valmet factory (Boxster 986 was produced there 1997-2004, Boxster 987 2004-2010 and Cayman 987 2005-2011)
L - Leipzig (Cayenne, Carrera GT, Panamera, Macan)
K - Osnabrück VW factory, ex-Karmann, hence the "K" (Boxster, Cayman, Cayenne)”

http://www.planet-9.com/718-chat/183...stuttgart.html
Old 07-31-2017, 09:14 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

718 performance is consistently under estimated by Porsche and the results of Car and Driver reveals the Cayman S true performance limits. One thing in the data below the top speed is listed as “mfr’s claim”**. I will post an article in Automobile Magazine were they got the Cayman S up to a top speed of 186 mph on the autobahn.

Quote from that article:

"Even at that velocity, there was still a bit of forward thrust left. Officially, the Cayman S will do 178 mph. We saw an indicated 186 mph moments before another mirror-less and indicator-less holidaymaker pulled out in front. Slamming on the brakes accomplished reassuring deceleration, but the freeze-frame effect was even more mind-boggling in the TT RS fitted with carbon-ceramic reins up front."

Article the 186mph quoted was Automobile Magazine:

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/20...-718-cayman-s/

*“CAR AND DRIVER MAGAZINE TEST RESULTS FOR 718 CAYMAN S PDK:

Zero to 60 mph: 3.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 8.7 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 15.2 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 22.8 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 4.4 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 2.5 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 2.9 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.0 sec @ 117 mph
Top speed (mfr's claim): 177 mph**
Braking, 70-0 mph: 142 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 1.02 g.”

*http://www.718forum.com/forum/2017-p...-s-review.html

Last edited by Porsch2018; 07-31-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:17 AM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

For those of us who placed orders for the 2018 718’s we are presently still waiting on both CARB and EPA certification. For those of us in non-CARB states the OBD certification was approved on or around the 2nd of August, and EPA certification is the only holdup (for non-CARB states). Porsche is currently claiming that the EPA approval should come through by mid August……

My Porsche is sailing on the Viking Queen to Houston as we speak with an ETA of 11 August. Hopefully, the EPA certification will be complete by then.
I made one change to the vehicle specs* when in V210 (Change Freeze Point Reached) status and my vehicle went from an “expected” production time of about a week to over a month. FYI, my vehicle went V210 exactly two months after my order was placed…..so I advise making your minds up sooner rather than later to avoid having your vehicle delayed.

*Graphite Blue/Chalk Sports Tex interior to Black/Chalk leather and added LED lights, and door sills guards in stainless steel

Last edited by Porsch2018; 08-05-2017 at 08:51 AM.

Quick Reply: 2018 Cayman or Boxster Order Progress