Sponsored by:

How reliable is the 718 Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 04:53 AM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2018/718 Cayman S

I was originally going to get a 2017 model but decided to wait and purchase a 2018. I will not take possession of the vehicle until late July/early August.....I really like the review of the Cayman interior shown in this YouTube post starting at 10 minutes......This is the best complete review of the 718 Cayman I have watched to date. Autogefuhl does some of the best auto reviews with extraordinary detail.

Last edited by Porsch2018; 03-19-2017 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:08 PM
Jump_Ace
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that it's been a few years, any updated info to share?

Since I can't fit in an NSX being 6'4", I have to find a different sports car. Coming from Honda where I've owned 6 of them, I'm interested in the reliability and how a 2017/2018 718 Cayman (base model) car has done in that category. I also can't find any information on interior dimensions. Thomas in the video above is about 6'1" with some room, but it may be tight, but I have long legs. Anyway I can find that out by test driving one locally. How has the reliability of this model and Porsche been in recent years?

Thanks in advance!

Jerome
Old 06-25-2020, 10:51 PM
forestial
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Jump_Ace
Now that it's been a few years, any updated info to share?

Since I can't fit in an NSX being 6'4", I have to find a different sports car. Coming from Honda where I've owned 6 of them, I'm interested in the reliability and how a 2017/2018 718 Cayman (base model) car has done in that category. I also can't find any information on interior dimensions. Thomas in the video above is about 6'1" with some room, but it may be tight, but I have long legs. Anyway I can find that out by test driving one locally. How has the reliability of this model and Porsche been in recent years?
I'm slightly under 6'2" and have a 981 S: I find I have plenty of room, particularly headroom. I would guess the 718 would be the same. I would think you would be fine even at 6'4" but there is only one way to know for sure. I have only had it for a couple of months so no reliability data to contribute but these seem to have a very solid reputation. Of course the 718 is with a new motor since 2017 so long term data will still be thin on that.

Porsches generally seem to have been good, since leaving behind the problems with IMS bearings and bore-scoring which were much talked about in the 2000 decade. I am only basing this on reading forums however.
The following users liked this post:
Jump_Ace (06-25-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 11:18 PM
Jump_Ace
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the visibility for you? Both reviews I've watched mentioned that. The rear backup camera will help I'm sure. Coming from a '08 Civic sedan, you think it's just a little worse? Thanks for your time and reply, btw!

Jerome
Old 06-26-2020, 12:45 AM
forestial
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

You're welcome. I came from a succession of family sedans (Mazda 6 most recently) and my wife has a Honda CRV, so sure, being much lower to the ground, the Cayman has a less commanding view of the road. But really I don't find it to be a problem; none of the pillars are intrusive, there is not a significant 'blind spot' and although the view through the rear is kind of 'letterboxed' I find that I can see just fine.

Mine has the parking sensors rather than the backup camera; they work well. I think I've been driving too long to learn to really trust backup cameras; the Mazda had one but I never learned to rely on it. I would always turn around and look, and I'm still doing that in the Cayman. I guess I am not very adaptable.

Anyway any little issues of this type get forgotten in an instant, once moving. I get a ridiculous amount of satisfaction from little things like chucking it at a slightly unreasonable speed round a sharp corner at a traffic light when there's no other cars or pedestrians around.

There are tons of video reviews but look for one on youtube with a title something like "2013 Cayman thrashed" with Chris Harris; and there is one of Mark Webber (F1 driver) lapping the new Cayman GTS 4.0 at a track. Those are not quite the same car/engine you are looking at, and those guys are pros, but very entertaining.
The following users liked this post:
Jump_Ace (07-01-2020)

Quick Reply: How reliable is the 718 Cayman S