Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Cayman S service intervals

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 10:29 PM
kginsbach75
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Cayman S service intervals

Hi all,

looking for a little clarity on service intervals for my 2006 Cayman S and I'm finding it difficult to gather a clear answer. I searched the forum but couldn't find a thread that exactly answers my questions.

Porsche documentation indicates 2 year intervals for a minor service and 4 year intervals for major service (docs attached to this thread). Porsche also only recommends oil change once every 2 years (I speak in years because I'm nowhere near reaching the mileage limits).

The last major service on my car was performed in March 2013 and it has been driven less than 10,000 miles since. Last maintenance was a minor service and brake fluid flush in March 2015. The service light just came on. I was pretty confident of what I'd have done, a major service, until I heard back from the service advisor at Porsche.

I'm getting two tunes from potential shops for what to have done:

Highly rated San Francisco indie shop (which I have been to before and never had a reason to doubt) has quoted me for a major maintenance, brake fluid flush and spark plugs. This matches what I expected and the service intervals I have seen listed. Every two years, major every four. I'm due for the major according to Porsche intervals.

Local Porsche dealer has recommended a minor service and brake flush this year, then a major service next year. The service advisor indicated service on the car should be every year or 10,000 miles. I have never seen such a short interval listed in Porsche documentation.

What are your thoughts on this? I know some guys do oil every year, which is double what the brand recommends, but has anyone ever heard of yearly service on these models? Which option would you go with?

Thanks in advance!

Kendall
Attached Images

Last edited by kginsbach75; 03-09-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:32 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Kendall, I understand the confusion and I think you could go with either shop's recommendation at this time.

My personal schedule is thus;
-I change oil once a year which usually equates to about 3-4K miles. I know this is twice as often as the maintenance schedule says, but I've read too many bad accounts of what happens when oil is left in an engine too long. I've stretched this to 18 months once or twice, but two years is much too long of an interval IMO.
-Brake fluid flush every two years. This is per maintenance schedule.
-Porsche says plugs every four years. I stretch that out to six or so because of my extremely low miles per year.
-Every winter when the car is parked for a few months I will tick through the maintenance schedule and check or change brakes, check or change other fluids, feed the rubber seals, check serpentine belt, change engine and cabin air filters, etc, etc. As on example I just changed gearbox oil this past winter based upon age.

Another reason I like to get the car in to a shop once a year (or examine it myself) is to check for parts needing to be replaced such as the water pump, the AOS, spark plug coil packs, driveshaft boots, brakes, clutch, etc.
Hope that helps!
Old 03-10-2017, 01:02 PM
kginsbach75
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Spokayman,

thanks for the response and the details on the maintenance schedule you hold yourself to. It certainly makes sense to me.

I still think the dealer's remarks are fishy. If he'd said that he recommends an oil change every year as a precaution I would get that. However, the fact that he's saying service intervals for the Cayman are 1 year or 10,000 miles does not match any manufacturer documentation that I have seen or obtained from guys at PCA.

Just to be clear, I make a difference between an oil change and a service. An oil change alone is NOT a service and, in this case, an oil change alone is not what the dealer recommended.

I think I'm going to go with the Indie shop, do the major service and the spark plugs now. Considering the dealership gave me a three year old A4 with broken sun visors as a courtesy car last time I got a service done there, I don't think I'll be missing much of anything...

Quick Reply: 2006 Cayman S service intervals