Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you identify this sound?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 07:20 PM
mli
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you identify this sound?

I'm hearing a high-pitched, pulsating squeaking/whistling sound from behind on my 981S. It conjures to mind the noise from a rusty bicycle.

Link: Video

My initial guess is that something's caught in the rear brakes, but I'm generally pretty clueless. I took it to the dealer because my rear right tire pressure flagged a low warning, and they found a nail and replaced the tire, but they didn't take a close look at the car. And of course, when I was the dealer, the car was silent.

Please let me know if you have ideas, thanks!

Last edited by mli; 03-11-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:38 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't hear anything in the video. I doubt something is in the brakes, when that happens the sound is usually speed sensitive cadence of noise can match wheel speed. This has been mentioned in multiple threads but I chased an intermittent squeaking noise in my 986 for a month, re torqued the spark plugs and it disappeared. Thing is the noise didn't sound like anything one would expect from a loose plug. Anyhow I would try this first, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it stops it.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:59 PM
mli
Intermediate

I think the cadence does vary with speed. It's the most obvious around 0:15 when I'm off the gas.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:22 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still believe you should start with those plugs, for one to loosen is not unprecedented and the noise it makes when one is loose sounds exactly like what you are describing. I realize it's hard to imagine it's a plug, that's exactly what I thought. If it was debris in the brake carrier or a rotor I would think it would pull when you brake and the guy who fixed the tire probably looked at that. If it's a wheel bearing it doesn't seem like it would be intermittent, just my thoughts good luck.

On the 986 I replaced the tension and roller bearings for the belt and it was a loose plug!
Old 03-11-2017, 08:34 PM
mli
Intermediate

^I see. I don't have the equipment or garage to do this myself, but I'll bring it up with the next shop I visit. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2017, 11:00 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 925 Likes on 430 Posts

The sound slows down as the car does, my guess is something in the brakes.

Quick Reply: Can you identify this sound?