Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible headlight/fog light issue in Cayman R

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 01:15 PM
smayster
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible headlight/fog light issue in Cayman R

I acquired my CR less than a year ago, and am not sure if this is a feature or a bug (or just burned out bulbs)... the headlights don't seem to work right. Note for this question, I'm in the U.S.

The round lower fog lights are always on, except when I turn on the headlights. When I do so, the round fog lights turn off, but the small LED strip is still on.

When I have the headlights on and I pull the headlight switch out (for fog lights), nothing happens. Shouldn't those round, lower fog lights turn back on?

Again, I'm not sure if this is how it's supposed to work or not... can anyone confirm? Thanks.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:36 PM
CarlJ
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Those round lights are actually your daytime running lights, not "fog lights" like most cars. Pulling out the headlight switch activates the rear fog lights, which just activates the brake light on one of your taillights. Anytime you turn on parking and/or head lights, they will turn off. Unfortunately, that's just how they work.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:41 PM
smayster
Rennlist Member

Thx for the reply. Makes sense that those are DRLs... that's how they're acting. So, are you saying there are no actual fog lights on the CR?

I didn't look back to see if pulling out that switch activated a rear fog light. If I don't see anything when I pull it out, it may be that the rear fog light bulb is out.

My '02 Boxster S had rear AND front fog lights, with two positions I could pull out to on the switch... one for front, one for rear. It makes sense, sort of, that if this car has just one position, it would be for the rear (I think the writing is in orange on the switch, which would imply rear fog lights).
Old 03-06-2017, 02:14 PM
CarlJ
Rennlist Member

Correct. No front foglights on CR. I've got a 2012 CS Black Edition. Same exact setup.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:18 PM
smayster
Rennlist Member

Thx very much for the info.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:24 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my "S", when you pull the **** to the first detent, the lower lights turn on, and that is independent of the headlights. You can pull the **** to a second detent, and the rear fog light turns on (left side only), but it is separate from the tail or stop lights. That way people can see you hit the brakes still, when in heavy fog.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:52 PM
CarlJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak
On my "S", when you pull the **** to the first detent, the lower lights turn on, and that is independent of the headlights. You can pull the **** to a second detent, and the rear fog light turns on (left side only), but it is separate from the tail or stop lights. That way people can see you hit the brakes still, when in heavy fog.
I assume you have a 987.1, those had fog lights, but the 987.2 didn't. They look like fog lights, but only function as DRL.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:24 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ I don't know. It's an '11. Maybe it has an older style light switch.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Possible headlight/fog light issue in Cayman R