Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good day wrenching on the Cayman, 2 questions

Old 02-25-2017, 09:54 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Good day wrenching on the Cayman, 2 questions

Son Coop and I had a good day doing our first routine maintenance on Pepper 2.0. Oil change, replace air and cabin filters, and replace the brake pads.

Removed the front pad brake sensors and the replacement stock pads did not have the hole to replace wear sensors. Considering that I check them often enough, I don't need no freakin brake pad sensors so I just folded them up and tie wrapped them to the plug. Would prefer to just cut the wires and be done with it but not sure if I need to wire nut the 2 wires together or separate so I don't get the warning, which is it?

Also, After reinstalling the retaining pin that holds in the pads on one of the rear brakes I lost the small retaining 'cotter' pin while trying to install it. How important is that little pin, as hard as it was to get the pad retaining pin out, can't imagine it is that important?
Old 02-25-2017, 10:44 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

The brake sensor circuit needs to be complete to avoid triggering the warning. When the pads wear down the sensor is eroded and the circuit is broken. I just wrap the sensor end in tape and zip tie out of the way.

I'd sure want the retaining clip in place. The concern would be vibration causing the spring retaining pin to work it's way out of the caliper body. It would only have to move a sort distance for one pad to not be fully secured by the spring. I usually replace the whole set -spring, pin and clip on every other set of pads which is also when I replace rotors and caliper bolts (for track duty). I wonder if auto parts store would have the little clips.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:55 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Originally Posted by zedcat
The brake sensor circuit needs to be complete to avoid triggering the warning. When the pads wear down the sensor is eroded and the circuit is broken. I just wrap the sensor end in tape and zip tie out of the way.

I'd sure want the retaining clip in place. The concern would be vibration causing the spring retaining pin to work it's way out of the caliper body. It would only have to move a sort distance for one pad to not be fully secured by the spring. I usually replace the whole set -spring, pin and clip on every other set of pads which is also when I replace rotors and caliper bolts (for track duty). I wonder if auto parts store would have the little clips.
Thanks, that what I figured about the retaining clip, will check at NAPA and/or order a bunch from Suncoast.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:59 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I't replace the cotter pin. It probably fell down into the hub or caliper area.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:41 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work, great that your son was helping...maybe another generation of Porsche fanatic someday!
Old 02-26-2017, 09:06 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lotsa cars have extra parts ,doo dads.thing a mic bobs that are not necessary in BRAKE systems........don't worry about. YOU ARE A POSTER BOY FOR TAMPER PROOF FASTENERS
Old 02-26-2017, 08:53 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

NAPA or Lowes did not have right retaining pin so I shade tree'd a temporary pin and will order the replacement brake pad retainer clips from Suncoast. Taped up the brake pad wear sensors and installed the GT3 Brake Ducts. Great weekend with the boy!

The following users liked this post:
OLY-S (11-23-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 01:41 PM
dlbehrns
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello, this thread is a couple years old with only a few responses so I hoping I can tag along with a brake sensor question and someone will jump in.
I have a 14 Cayman Base that I bought w/15K miles. It now has 23K and only used as a daily driver. The change break pad light came on one morning after pulling out of my neighborhood and was off the next day when I pulled out again, it came on again. This morning the light did not come on at all, even after several stops and one somewhat strong stop. What WTF??? Would the pads, or one of the pads be worn with only 23K(?) with only daily drive type use. I don't believe that previous owner tracked the car but I'm not positive. Would appreciate some feedback. TIA dlbehrns
Old 10-05-2020, 02:06 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,665 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by dlbehrns
Hello, this thread is a couple years old with only a few responses so I hoping I can tag along with a brake sensor question and someone will jump in.
I have a 14 Cayman Base that I bought w/15K miles. It now has 23K and only used as a daily driver. The change break pad light came on one morning after pulling out of my neighborhood and was off the next day when I pulled out again, it came on again. This morning the light did not come on at all, even after several stops and one somewhat strong stop. What WTF??? Would the pads, or one of the pads be worn with only 23K(?) with only daily drive type use. I don't believe that previous owner tracked the car but I'm not positive. Would appreciate some feedback. TIA dlbehrns
There is really nothing to the brake sensors. Just a neg terminal that when the pads wears to the point of touching the terminal of the sensor, it completes the circuit which turns on brake pad wear light and triggers the DME. I would just remove the tires and examine the condition of the pads/rotors in proximity of the sensor.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:55 PM
dlbehrns
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks. I understand how they work. Wondering bout wear vs mileage. And then the sensor working and then not working.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:05 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,665 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by dlbehrns
Thanks. I understand how they work. Wondering bout wear vs mileage. And then the sensor working and then not working.
That's hard to quantify. All depends on driving habits. Brakes from someone that uses it just for weekend drives vs. someone that tracks the car will see completely different wear on the pads/rotors. Miles doesn't factor into that equation. You should just check the pads/rotors and replace the sensor. They're dirt cheap.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:01 PM
bernb6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The light comes on when the first pad wears through the sensor. You can get a quick sense of pad wear just by using a flashlight and looking at the pad thickness. I think Porsche says minimum pad thickness is 2mm, about half the backing plate thickness. You may find the rear pads wear faster if you are frequently engaging the PSM system.
Bern
Old 10-08-2020, 07:07 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

In my experience, once a brake sensor wears through, the warning light isn't going to go off until it is replaced or tied off. Since your warning light is coming on intermittently, I'd suspect some type of a short, worn/broken wire or loose connector. I'd pull the wheels and check the sensor wires, etc...Maybe have someone sit in the car with it running while you jiggle things and see if the light comes on....Or just tie them off and check your pads every time you do an oil change.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:13 AM
Schroedinger
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
There is really nothing to the brake sensors. Just a neg terminal that when the pads wears to the point of touching the terminal of the sensor, it completes the circuit which turns on brake pad wear light and triggers the DME. I would just remove the tires and examine the condition of the pads/rotors in proximity of the sensor.
This is exactly the opposite of how they work in my 981. The pad sensor is a normally closed circuit; when the pad gets low and the sensor wears through the circuit goes open.
The following users liked this post:
SteveG (11-22-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 02:11 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Schroedinger
This is exactly the opposite of how they work in my 981. The pad sensor is a normally closed circuit; when the pad gets low and the sensor wears through the circuit goes open.
+1...That what you described is the way it was on my 993 Carrera and how I understand it to be on my 981 Cayman. That's why you strip and tie the sensor wires together when you delete the sensor. Otherwise the circuit would remain open and the warning light would stay on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good day wrenching on the Cayman, 2 questions