Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying my first Porsche!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 06:00 PM
whatupdoc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying my first Porsche!

Hello everyone, new to the site. I've admired the Boxster since I was a kid and I have my first real job that will let me afford a car like this. I'm upgrading from my subaru outback which has 250k miles on it that I've driven for the past 15 years since highschool, so it won't take much to impress me!

Budget is ~60-65K, so I was wondering if I should go for a used 981, 981s Boxster or a new 718.

This is the build I'm considering:

PHFG1BX9
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHFG1BX9

Thanks for your insight!
Old 01-31-2017, 07:47 PM
gregp714
Advanced

Congrats on the milestone!

Personally I would prefer the 981s because of the styling and engine. Your 718 build looks nice. But you should buy the one that speaks to you personally. It will be your first, but probably won't be your last.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:18 PM
whatupdoc
Track Day

Originally Posted by gregp714
Congrats on the milestone!

Personally I would prefer the 981s because of the styling and engine. Your 718 build looks nice. But you should buy the one that speaks to you personally. It will be your first, but probably won't be your last.
Haha, I hope it isn't my last one! I am still toying with the idea of putting sport chrono on my build. I took away PASM and PTV since I'm probably not going to track the 718 and that saved a bunch of change.

I'm having a hard time finding the right color scheme I like in a used 981, (white or silver exterior and luxor beige interior). Has anyone ever bought a used porsche without test driving it and then just getting it shipped? I've heard of some dealerships allowing you to have the car for 7 days and then at the end of that period if you're not satisfied with the vehicle or find something off about it the dealership will take the car back.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:49 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 472 Likes on 320 Posts

There is really nothing like a new car. However, you might get more options on a low mileage 981. I don't know where you're located, but you need to consider the heated seat option. The best $530 you'll spend. Be careful though. The Porsche configurator can be a slippery slope!
Old 01-31-2017, 08:51 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,282 Likes on 593 Posts

Ha! So true Gregp714 - it won't be his last.

To whatupdoc, I would be hesitant on buying 100% site unseen but you can often twist (hardly) a Rennlister's arm to check out a car for you. Get a PPI done and IF it checks out 100% then hop on a plane and drive it back. Maybe pay for it first. It'll be one of the best adventures you'll ever do. Last Feb I bought sight unseen (with the help of Rennlisters) a 98 993 C2S, stored with a Rennlister for 4 months, then flew out and drove it back. It was EPIC.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by whatupdoc
Haha, I hope it isn't my last one! I am still toying with the idea of putting sport chrono on my build. I took away PASM and PTV since I'm probably not going to track the 718 and that saved a bunch of change.

I'm having a hard time finding the right color scheme I like in a used 981, (white or silver exterior and luxor beige interior). Has anyone ever bought a used porsche without test driving it and then just getting it shipped? I've heard of some dealerships allowing you to have the car for 7 days and then at the end of that period if you're not satisfied with the vehicle or find something off about it the dealership will take the car back.
Some used car buyers have bought a used car without test driving it even without having a PPI done and reported they felt they did ok. Matter of luck I guess along with a load of trust with possibly a dose of having a pretty accurate gut feeling about a seller/car.

(Actually now that I think about this buying with no test drive, no PPI, a family member a couple of months back bought a used Lexus (from a Lexus dealer) located in another state without the benefit of a test drive or a PPI. She appears to have done ok with the purchase and from what I've seen of the vehicle believe she got a nice vehicle, albeit a used vehicle which of course she knew as she negotiated for the car by phone.)

Anyhow, I would have to see that " 7 days " thing in writing. Generally you drive the car off the lot you own it unless -- and I'm sure this doesn't apply to you but I have heard of it happening -- fraud is involved and the car gets repossessed when the fraud is uncovered.

Barring some kind of trail purchase agreement my advice is you should be sure you want the car, that the car is worth owning, before you sign the papers and leave the lot.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Hello everyone, new to the site. I've admired the Boxster since I was a kid and I have my first real job that will let me afford a car like this. I'm upgrading from my subaru outback which has 250k miles on it that I've driven for the past 15 years since highschool, so it won't take much to impress me!

Budget is ~60-65K, so I was wondering if I should go for a used 981, 981s Boxster or a new 718.

This is the build I'm considering:

PHFG1BX9
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHFG1BX9

Thanks for your insight!
General rule is buy the best example you can find and afford.

Buying a new car has some pluses: First and obviously the car is new. You most likely get it just like you want it or get it close enough the difference is not an issue. With new there's a new car warranty which is nice.

'course, with a new car you get to experience the depreciation. The biggest cost of owning a car is its depreciation and buying new means you get the full force of this.

And it is avoiding the heaviest/harshest depreciation that makes buying used so attractive. (In 2009, I bought a used 2003 Turbo with just 10K miles. In 2003 the car sold for over $119K, yet just 6 years and 10K miles later I paid less than half that for the car. I figured the original buyer/owner paid around $6/mile -- in depreciation -- for every mile he drove the car.)

If you buy used the general rule is to have set aside 10% of the used car's purchase price for just in case. Just in case a tire picks up a nail and you have to replace a pair or even all 4. Or a water pump leaks. Or a radiator leaks. The clutch gives up the ghost. The brake warning light comes on and new brakes are needed. And so on. (Don't dismiss this as just me fear mongering: Many of the above -- and more -- have been reported by used car buyers. Even that (pristine) low miles 2003 Turbo needed some things (shifter, clutch accumulator, slave cylinder, idler roller bearings, radiator fan motor, new transmission) taken care of as I added the miles but fortunately it came with a 2 year, 100K mile CPO warranty and these early problems/issues were covered by the warranty.)
Old 02-01-2017, 12:14 AM
Rebel yel
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To OP... My 2 cents.. and I have only been a porsche owner for 72 hours. I have owned an s2000 and 08 sti for around 8 years. I think you should try an Naturally Aspirate (NA) car before jumping into turbo - 718. The way its going, NA and manuals (driver involvement) may be extinct in 10 years. The base boxster and base cayman are pretty quick and their engines rev pretty fast (PDK was awesome) If you don't like NA, then you can trade it in for a gently used or new 718. Look on the forums for recommended shops if you buy used. I was able to find one here in Illinois. The NA with sports plus.. in the 2016 cayman GTS seems to have a unique and awesome howl. I only have 330 miles on the gts, and feel after break in, this thing is gonna be a wolf. lol... Anyway, ride right and safe...
Old 02-01-2017, 11:49 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Has anyone ever bought a used porsche without test driving it and then just getting it shipped? I've heard of some dealerships allowing you to have the car for 7 days and then at the end of that period if you're not satisfied with the vehicle or find something off about it the dealership will take the car back.
When I bought my 996 4S a number of years ago, it was a 2 year old CPO vehicle with 1100 miles on the odometer. I bought it sight unseen from Isringhausen in Springfield, IL. They shipped it - there were a few trim issues from shipping, which when I took to my Porsche dealer for repairs, were fully reimbursed by Isringhausen. Turned out to be a perfect car. Resale was awful because 997 was out and the 996's were considered ugly by some - that and the IMS issue. A few months after I sold it, the IMS went and the new owner got Porsche to fully cover repairs. Mine was essentially a new car - I agree with suggestions to have a PPI done, or have a Rennlister look it over carefully before buying sight unseen. Personally would go with a very lightly used 981S over a new 718, but I just prefer the NA six over a turbo four. Drive both and decide. Get what you love.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:40 PM
Curt Wohlgemuth
Advanced

To the OP: Good advice here, it would be nice to know (a) where you live; and (b) how comfortable you are with possibly inheriting someone else's problem.

You can ameliorate (b) by buying new, or CPO. If you're quite handy and don't mind working on cars, a non-CPO used car will save you even more.

I was in your same boat for the last couple of months, before I decided to buy a new 718. For me:
- I hate having car problems, so trying to minimize them
- The NA vs turbo issue isn't a problem for me, once I drove both
- I'm particular with options and colors, could not find a 981 that I really liked

As to your possible 718 build: Think hard about the beige interior, you'll likely get glare on the windscreen. Also I wouldn't (and didn't) bother getting SC with a MT. I did go for PASM + PTV, for what it's worth.

Have fun!
Old 02-01-2017, 12:58 PM
Georound
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest a 981S with PSE and heated/cooled seats. Nav and phone integration. X73 if you want a sportier ride.

You could get that for well under your budget. I wouldn't hesitate to buy used. Just know where you are on the consumables such as tires and brakes. Let someone else take the initial value hit.
Pay for a good PPI if you are worried about paint work or other issues. These 981 cars are solid!
Loving mine even at 50k miles....wouldn't spend the difference to get into a new 718.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:54 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,063 Likes on 607 Posts

it seems you are just starting your career in medicine
my vote is for a used 981 S ,
you can find a low mileage example with cpo with even better warranty than a brand new car
even do some leg work and you might find a left over one that is still brand new at a huge discount as the 718 is a redesign and dealers want to get rid of whatever left on the lot
even if you can afford a 60 k car at your stage
a used one will depreciate less than a new one
as far as used cars , do the following
start your search within 100 miles so you can drive and see them
buy only from porsche dealers, you will pay a little more, but you will have better protection
don't buy from a used car dealer
if you find a car that is very far from you, the community here can check it out for you, if you post location etc
good luck
Old 02-03-2017, 01:47 PM
illini_Fan
4th Gear

My approach and decision was similar to Curt Wohlgemuth's post. The only other thing that impacted me is the length of time I keep my cars. My current car is 10.5 years old and by the time my 718 arrives in May, it will be almost 11 years old. I rather start with a brand new car that has the exact look and features I want.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:59 PM
Curt Wohlgemuth
Advanced

Yes, I forgot that aspect. I don't care a whit about options to maximize resale value; I've always kept my cars long enough (current one, 11 yo) that resale value is the furthest thing from my mind.

Some people would rather have a completely stripped 911 Carrera, which would cost what I'm paying for my highly optioned 718 CS. For me, that's nuts. If I'm paying that much $$ for a car -- and this will be about 4x what I've ever paid for an auto before! -- an extra 5k or 10k (or more) for options that make the car feel like mine is very reasonable.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:05 PM
06C2s
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Be careful of your "FIRST" and have fun finding the right one.

When I bought my 997.1 S four years ago I remember when the delivery agent said "welcome to your first Porsche". I didn't give it much thought at the time but my family is now on #3 having 2 and possibly looking for #4.....

Quick Reply: Buying my first Porsche!