Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Porsche Battery Charger Q

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 08:44 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Get a Battery Tender. I've used the same one for over ten years. It's never let me down.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:10 PM
dlbehrns
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, I have trickle chargers too. And they keep a battery up when not in use however, the CTEK and the Battery Minder have a unique function the pulses a charge that desulfates the plates. Sulfation/sulfate accumulates on the plates of the battery over time and renders them inoperable. These unique chargers eliminate the sulfate. There is a very good review by an electrical engineer on amazon who built one of his own only later to find the Battery Minder did an ever better job of extending the life of the battery. I had an oem battery in a 99 Mercedes that lasted 14 years before it went south. I wonder how long it would have gone had I had one of these products. Don't take my word for it. Go to amazon and search Battery Minder reviews. I just bought one and hooked in to my new to me 2014 Cayman. That's only a 4 year old battery but, the little tester that came with the device said the battery was a 1/2 strength. Lets see what it says after being hooked up for a week. To be continued......
Old 06-17-2019, 10:54 AM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by garycomeau
New Cayman just stored, New Porsche battery charger. When I first put the charger on the charging orange LED is lit then the next day the Orange LED is flashing and the green fully charged LED is on and steady. Manual does not cover this condition. I phone CTEK and because it is a branded charger they tell you to go to the dealer you bought it from. Porsche techs are not familiar with it. Anyone knows what these lights mean? Everything ok?
To answer the OP's question, I observed this light pattern recently when I disconnected my CTEK 3300 from my 993 while the unit was still plugged in to the wall outlet.

This tells me that this light pattern means the unit is plugged in but not connected to a battery or 'lost' its connection to the battery.

As others have stated, likely as a result of the ecu cutting power to the 12V receptacles in the car after a period of inactivity.

Possible solutions are:

Don't lock the car when the battery maintainer is connected

Wire the connector directly to the battery

Change the coding/programming to not cut 12V power.

Quick Reply: Porsche Battery Charger Q