Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value of high mileage 2009 Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 12:59 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

Does anyone know (ballpark) what the 80k mile major service runs?
Old 02-16-2017, 01:59 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tlarocque
Does anyone know (ballpark) what the 80k mile major service runs?
I tend to do my own maintenance short of major component repairs or transmission servicing so I can't help with specific pricing of the standard maintenance items.
I also don't have a maintenance guide for that car, but I would guess an 80k service might include oil change, brake flush, and spark plug replacement. If the serpentine belt, cabin and engine air filters haven't been replaced then add that.
It might be getting close to a PDK service as well. Brakes could be worn. Tires could be worn, etc.
You might consider talking to a local Porsche service shop for their recommendations and pricing, but I would guess if the service items noted above are needed you would see quotes from $1,500 to $2,000 at a dealer and 2/3 of that at an Indy. Add $1,000 or so for brakes and $1,000+ for tires if needed.
If the car is up to date on it's service and wear items (tires, brakes, etc.), then $25-27K isn't out of line IMO. If it needs work, I would negotiate accordingly.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:25 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Car has had all scheduled maintenance at Porsche dealers but does need upcoming 80k mile service. All 4 tires replaced 4 months ago. You are correct on items included in 80k mile service as per what was posted by Eddie above (thank you). I will call the dealer tomorrow to get an estimate and use that as a negotiating point. If I were to buy the car, I'd take it to my indie mechanic as I don't wrench.

Where are you in WA? Spokane? I have a place on Mason Lake, about 15 miles for The Ridge Motorsports Park. This car, or my '88, could find their way up there for some track time.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:09 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you're looking at a used Porsche and request a PPI, any shop or DIYer with factory or Durametric software can check the computer for actual mileage, over-rev history, etc.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:28 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Yes, thank you. I have arrived at a tentative deal with the seller, pending PPI. Here we go again.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:25 AM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, durn that is exciting.

Keep us posted.

Eddie

Originally Posted by tlarocque
Yes, thank you. I have arrived at a tentative deal with the seller, pending PPI. Here we go again.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:56 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Will do Eddie. I am in need of another daily driver and couldn't think of a new car for similar (or even $10k more) money that I'd rather own. I think I can turn it into a fun dual-purpose car for the very occasional track day that I attend. I'm confident it will come together as the seller is a physician friend and has had all maintenance done on schedule and always at Porsche dealers.

I still think its hard to peg the value but, with only sixteen 987.2 Cayman S cars for sale nationally (at least on cars.com), I think I will be getting a fair deal. Its a bonus that the car is only a little more than an hour from me.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:34 AM
BrooksBier
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats. You are doing to love the car. Big difference with it being the S. An gen 2 creates no IMS worries. Great car to buy.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:23 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

I'd look into refreshing the suspension (new bushings and dampers) to restore the new car feel and handling.

I just did that on my Audi S5 that just turned 100K miles (75K put on by me)'and I'm a happy camper.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:59 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

^
Probably in the cards as I would like to turn this car into an occasional DE duty car. Researching what things I want to do and what order to do them in but not in a rush. Safety first.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:52 AM
TonyLL
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just started following this thread and curious if you ended up buying the car. I was surprised how little 987.2 Cayman S's are for sale.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:46 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Hi Tony - yes, I bought the car a little over 3 weeks ago. Car does not look, feel, sound, or drive like it has almost 80k miles... more like maybe 20k. Very clean and tight and I love the full leather interior.

The previous owner had a lien on the car so I am still working on getting it registered and titled in my name. I think I will have that taken care of in the next week or so but, for that reason, I haven't driven it all that much. Once I get that done, will take that car in for its 80k mile service and she should be all up to date.

Some things in my life have changed in the past couple months so not sure if I'm going to keep it or not. I thought I needed another car but turns out I really don't. But I agree with you, there just aren't many 987.2 cars out there and the low mile cars still have pretty big price tags. For the money, I'd rather be driving this car.
Attached Images    
Old 03-28-2017, 04:05 PM
TonyLL
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great to hear, and nice to see that your Carrera has a companion now! Both look beautiful. Let me know if you get sick of the Cayman
Old 03-30-2017, 12:14 AM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice color combo, it does look clean for 80k miles. I've been keeping an eye on the '09-'11 Cayman S market for a while now as I've been heading towards getting one. Although yours has double the mileage I've been looking for, I'd also be interested if you do decide not to keep it. Good luck either way.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:20 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Well, I always joke that everything is for sale:-) You guys can PM an offer if you're really interested.

Quick Reply: Value of high mileage 2009 Cayman S