Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOOT! Cayman S acquired!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 09:52 AM
racinfast002
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOOT! Cayman S acquired!

So I am going to purchase a new to me Cayman S tomorrow. Found a 06 S that I love. Link to the car is below. Anything I should check out on it before purchasing? I also have a 97 boxster that I am going to turn loose of very cheap here shortly. Fun car, bought it to see if I would enjoy the Porsche life. Turns out, I do.

http://macon.craigslist.org/cto/5864714264.html
Old 11-30-2016, 11:50 AM
mjdavis
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

That's an absolutely beautiful car. I looked for ages to find that color combo - great find!

I can't speak much to this individual car, but if it were me, I would find a shop nearby with good Porsche experience and have a thorough PPI done. Check the oil filter for metal particles (even though IMS doesn't seem to be as big a deal on the Caymans), check for any smoke from the exhaust (for AOS issues, or worse). I think it's pretty tough to check the intake pressure (AOS again) on these cars, but maybe the oil cap trick will work. For me, it would be worth it to ask for boroscope pictures of the cylinder walls. Finally, I think it's safe to assume that the rotors, pad and tires are all shot and need to be replaced. It's also conceivable that this car is still on its original clutch, and may be in need of replacement as well.

Also, what's up with that hole just ahead of the rear wheel? Is that normal on a 987.1?

One more thing - do a pretty thorough test of the aftermarket head unit. Try to get comfortable that it works as intended. Odds are that the bluetooth/phone integration is a bit wonky, but you may be pleasantly surprised.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:32 PM
racinfast002
4th Gear

The color combo is the whole reason I'm buying it. LOVE IT! Absolutely gorgeous for sure.

I have a buddy back home that is the head master tech for Porsche dealership. He gave me a list of things to check.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:21 AM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats racinfast002. The color is so striking and is just flat out purdy.

Eddie
Old 12-02-2016, 08:19 AM
racinfast002
4th Gear

Thanks guys. Picked up the car yesterday and drove it right at 400 miles home to merritt island fl. Car was exactly how the ad described, so no surprises, which was nice. Loved driving it. Car has an aftermarket shifter, and its super precise which is awesome. Overall happy with it.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:55 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Enjoy the Porsche Life! Consider joining a local PCA club - perhaps run some DE track days or autoX events... At least meet like minded friends that share the Porsche passion.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:46 PM
johnnyringo
Cruisin'

congrats!

"Car has an aftermarket shifter"
which one? I might be looking for something tighter- I hate the wobble.

I have a similar car and I would keep an eye on the AOS (aire/Oil Separator) mine just went at less miles than you and it was scary the noises it made (and didn't make) but came to be a $500 job. Seems like a common fix at that age/mileage.

Also, If you are worried about the IMSb issue, I was able to get a base Fidelity warranty (the agent said it covered the IMSb) for $4000 for 4 years. But I was near the cutoff for the year of the car.

Other than that, you nailed a nice color and a great car! they are too fun to drive it's just silly.

"I have a buddy back home that is the head master tech for Porsche dealership"
I just saw this. Damn that's a good guy to know!

Have fun!
Old 12-03-2016, 01:44 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
Enjoy the Porsche Life! Consider joining a local PCA club - perhaps run some DE track days or autoX events... At least meet like minded friends that share the Porsche passion.
This. I do not know where you are located but this can make all the difference.

I picked up my '07 S a couple of months ago and was really surprised by how much fun it is to drive - sorry, I came from the air-cooled side. Currently in the shop converting it to a race car and cannot wait to get it on the track.

Congrats and have fun.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:14 PM
Jack-Porsche
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Well done! Nice looking ride....enjoy that thing.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:59 AM
racinfast002
4th Gear

So did a little maintenance on the car this weekend. Mainly removing stereo equipment that was left in the car, but no longer hooked up. Popped the top side engine cover off to see if the top side was as clean as the bottom. It was. No surprises there. So far the only thing the car needs is the passenger side window regulator, which the seller disclosed before I even went and looked at the car.

Car has a numeric racing shifter and shift cables. Let me tell you something, I looked it up, saw the price tag, and said, yep I'd pay that for this piece. Its the most precise shifting car I've ever driven.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:10 AM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Pics.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:35 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah. I love the color combination. I guess.

I'm guessing because the classified ad is gone, probably because the car was sold by the guy who put it up.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:09 PM
doctorroe
1st Gear

Yep, couldn't see it either.

Quick Reply: WOOT! Cayman S acquired!