Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What my 981 cost so far....

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 10:29 PM
roadrunner2348
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What my 981 cost so far....

From time to time I see a post about how much is costs to own one of these cars. I haven't lost all my receipts yet for my car yet so I figured I'd lay out what the first year+ of ownership costs me so far.

I daily drive the car, I have about a 25 mile commute (one way) to work plus any other driving I do. On top of that I usually do one autocross a month for the summer months (usually about 5 or 6) and so far I'm averaging about 3 DE's a year. Add that all up and in 14 months I've put over 30K miles on the car. Yeah, I really like driving it. Cost breakdown is below, unless otherwise stated, all the work that has been performed on the car has been done at a Independent Shop that specializes in Porsches.

Aug 22, 2015 - Purchased my 2015 Agate Grey Cayman (Base) for about $58K out the door. It was sitting on the lot, didn't custom order it (it would have PSE if I did!).
Car has the following options:
- Manual Transmission
- 19" Cayman S Wheels w/Pirelli P Zero Tires
- Cold Weather Package (Heated Seats)
- Seat Ventilation
- Sport Design Steering Wheel
- Infotainment Package with Sound Package Plus (Nav, BT, and Upgraded sound system)

4,000 mi - $54.92 Patch, Mount and Balance Passenger Rear tire after a puncture

4,200 mi - $369.02 to replace above tire (needed to replace it for a DE)

7,452 mi - $113.79 - for a Tech Inspection for the track event and brake fluid flush

9,830 mi - $461 for 10K mi Service at Porsche Dealership. Yup $461 for an oil change. Was tight on time and it was right before the holidays, really just took it there for the loaner car.

18,501 mi - $374 for 20K service (Oil change and Cabin Filters) + brake fluid flush and Tech inspection for DE

19,951 mi - $804.28 to replace the front brakes (Pads, Rotors and Sensors + Labor)

26,385 mi - $54.92 Patch, Mount and Balance Driver Rear tire after a puncture

28,934 mi - $224.85 for 30K service

30,377 mi - $1,451.68 - New tires all four corners (Bridgestone Potenza S-04 $966 from Tire rack), Alignment (Had the camber adjusted for Autox/DE), Tech Inspection and Brake Fluid Flush.

Grand Total: $3908.46

Outside of tire repairs I haven't had any issues with the car at all. Also like to note that the tires that were on the car were still in good for the road, but all of the autox and track events that I had done had completely worn the outside edge in the rear, which was the reason for the camber change.

Also for those looking to buy, there's a million options that I would have loved to have in the car (3.8L for starters) but when it comes down to it there's really only three things that I would (or will) change:

Lumbar Adjustment - My car has the manual seats which do not have lumbar adjustment. For me its not a huge deal, but would be nice on longer trips.

Dimming side view mirrors - I get blinded at night by anything and everything.

Porsche Sport Exhaust - Requirement if you have ears. The non-PSE exhaust is way too quiet for me. Will be installing this in the near future.

I will try and update this in the future is anyone is interested, at the rate I'm going the car is going to be out of warranty soon....
Old 11-14-2016, 11:28 PM
Yogi911
Racer

Thanks for the post. For me personally i dont even consider tires in cost of ownership (especially when it is an outnof control thing like punctures) but maybe thats just my way of rationalizing. As i see it youve only REALLY paid $2k in 30k miles which seems very reasonable. So based on milage alone using the average 15k miles a year you are right at 1k a year so about $80 a month (again i never really count tires).

Of course how most websites do it is to include gas/insurance/depreciation if you want to figure out cost per mile. How
Much is a similarly optioned car like yours going for these days?
Old 11-15-2016, 12:47 AM
BobKid
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to warn you ahead of time, but the limited amount of camber your new alignment gained you won't make much of a difference in the outer tread wear at DE and autoX. I think ours maxed out at -1.7 / -1.8 and that's really about all you can get unless you go with the GT3 control arms. That was just enough to go from chunking the outer treads to just wearing them quicker.

If you are going to continue tracking the car, get the GT3 lower control arms now and the savings in premature tire replacement will pay for them over the next couple of years. I'm shooting for -2.5 camber up front minimum to wear the tires evenly.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:55 PM
roadrunner2348
AutoX

Originally Posted by Yogi911
Thanks for the post. For me personally i dont even consider tires in cost of ownership (especially when it is an outnof control thing like punctures) but maybe thats just my way of rationalizing. As i see it youve only REALLY paid $2k in 30k miles which seems very reasonable. So based on milage alone using the average 15k miles a year you are right at 1k a year so about $80 a month (again i never really count tires).

Of course how most websites do it is to include gas/insurance/depreciation if you want to figure out cost per mile. How
Much is a similarly optioned car like yours going for these days?
The gas and insurance I didn't include simply because theres way too many variables with both, and its usually pretty easy to get a ballpark figure for both. Not sure on depreciation. If I had to guess probably in the mid to low 40's.

Just to warn you ahead of time, but the limited amount of camber your new alignment gained you won't make much of a difference in the outer tread wear at DE and autoX. I think ours maxed out at -1.7 / -1.8 and that's really about all you can get unless you go with the GT3 control arms. That was just enough to go from chunking the outer treads to just wearing them quicker.

If you are going to continue tracking the car, get the GT3 lower control arms now and the savings in premature tire replacement will pay for them over the next couple of years. I'm shooting for -2.5 camber up front minimum to wear the tires evenly.
The shop I took it to said that the caymans like more camber than what you can do with the factory arms and recommended swapping the arms out if I wanted to go further. I'll probably go that route at some point but for now the wallet says no.

Quick Reply: What my 981 cost so far....