Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing a 2015 Boxster gts advice (foreigner from Australia)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 02:38 AM
Wilson Chan
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing a 2015 Boxster gts advice (foreigner from Australia)

Gday from Australia!

I've done my fair amount of research and now have a few questions if you fellow Porsche enthusiast can help out

I've located a car in sanfrancisco.

2015 Boxster gts manual msrp 82k new. It's not listed for 69k 15000mile. (Planning to sell the car in 2-3months)

My question are;

1. Am I dreaming to get a 5-8k discount on a 15000 mile car?
2. Would it be financially better if I go for a Boxster s for lower depreciation
3. I was told cali have a 9% tax for registering the car and many hidden charges. So after negotiation say from 69 to 65k. I would have to pay additional 9% on top and hidden charges? Or it's inclusive to 65k
4. I've found insurance company that covers oversea drivers, but most only do 6 months duration, are there any decent insurance company that do month to month basis

Any answer is welcome and much appreciated.
Please help if you can, as its my long dream to drive the roads in the state in a Porsche!

Cheers
Old 10-14-2016, 10:42 PM
Georound
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

69k is a pretty fair price. Probably not going to fly off the shelf at this time of year and at that mileage, though GTS are not so common. Boxster S are easier to find. I picked one up for just over 40k with 43k miles, but probably not so easy to sell.

How hard is it to take back with you? Aren't they worth quite a bit more money in Australia? Is there import tariff for used cars?
If you buy from a CA dealer, you'll have to pay the nearly 10% sales tax unless the dealer delivers it to a port or state line for delivery. There are going to be dealers fees/charges...we usually figure 11-12% of Purchase price for taxes and fees.

Buy it in Oregon, just to the north which has no sales tax, or in CA from private party until you register it.
Unlikely to find a rental agency with Porsche cars available.

Consider a Mustang...easy to find as a rental and plenty of fun! Insurance will be easier (not cheap though).
Old 10-15-2016, 02:37 AM
Wilson Chan
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the repsonse!

-the 40k you mentioned, is it inclusive of the sales tax?
-If i opt for the option to get the car delivered in oregon, would i have to provide an address to register it there? As i will be travelling all over the US in my car without a permanent address. Would a PO box be worth it?

thank you for the options of other cars you given, but at the moment im quite onto the boxster GTS.

Do you think the depreciation will hit hard on these cars if driven say 20k miles in 3-4 months? are they alot easier to sell? im planning to just sell it to carmax.. if thats not wise, please let me know.\

cheers

Quick Reply: Purchasing a 2015 Boxster gts advice (foreigner from Australia)